Anyone else feeling a lack of motivation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hnbui

Addicted to Yale Med
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile since i've posted on here; school has been very rough.

I was just wondering whether anyone here felt a lack of motivation, and if so what did you do to, for lack of a better term, motivate yourself?

Members don't see this ad.

yeah that happens to me sometimes, because once i get into a routine then i can't focus on the reading even if i think it's interesting.

in that case, i think it's best to just do whatever you want to do (i.e. get it out of your system). I find that i study best when i'm not 100 percent alert, but i study better around 6 pm-1 am because i'm not as hyper.

i'm kinda scared actually becasue i have 3 tests start next friday then monday and tuesday, yet i've studied sufficiently to do a quick review of everything, but i still always feel unconfident.

you've really gotta isolate yourself from distractions. go somewhere where you know you will get work done. thats the hardest part.
i also just pulled this off a cnn article, found it pretty alarming:

Don't be a slave to technology: In more than 80 clinical trials, Dr. Glenn Wilson, a psychiatrist at King's College London University, found that workers distracted by phone calls, e-mails and text messages suffer a greater loss of IQ than if they'd smoked marijuana.

The IQ of those juggling messages and work fell by an average of 10 points -- equivalent to missing a whole night's sleep and more than double the four-point fall seen after smoking pot. The drop in IQ was even more significant in men.

To keep sharp, resist the urge to check messages continually. Instead, schedule blocks of time throughout the day to retrieve and respond to them.

as for the motivation, you just gotta kick yourself in the ass sometimes. remember, you're in school to go to class and handle your classes. so make sure thats somewhere near the top of your priority list. you pay something like 40 bucks for each class you go to (higher at private colleges).
-mota

Members don't see this ad :)
That's BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it's saying that since we're so obsessive with SDN, we're losing massive amounts of IQ?!?!?

We all know we have the potential to be doctors. We'll prove them wrong! We'll prove them we actually gain IQ by involving ourselves with obsessively checking messages and news so that our brain is always on constant alertness and also many thoughts occur before and after the action of checking messages.

According to that study, I must be a drooling idiot at this point.

Uhh...that's a pretty stupid inflammatory study. IQ is supposedly a measure of intelligence, independent of context, and is pretty fixed. they mean your performance on the tasks that measure IQ is difficult when you are getting phone calls I assume. This doesn't mean you actually become "dumber", because if you were given the test in a quiet room you would do fine.

i think it just has to do with concentration.
-mota