Anyone else feeling like they are not learning enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey guys,

So I'm almost done with first year of medical school and I just feel like I have not learned as much as I should have or maybe I was not learning the right way. I've done above average on most exams getting mostly 87-89 range in every block. However, when I review my exams and see the questions I get wrong on exams I feel like I misunderstood or completely missed a large concept in class. It makes me worry about boards since some of the material I would have to relearn. Is it typical to feel like that during first year?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a ton of info, so not many people feel like they have everything down after m1. You will relearn a lot of the more clinically-related m1 material during m2, so you will get to fill in the gaps that you missed the first time. You've done above average on exams, so you're most likely in good shape moving forward.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, the feeling that you're not learning enough/don't know enough doesn't go away during this training process. You just have to realize that everyone else feels the same way and keep trucking forward.

Just finishing M1 myself. We have learned a ton of information--just not a lot that would help us actually take care of a patient.

Reactions: 1 users
It always feels that way at the beginning. By the end of MS2 you'll be thinking "hey I got this" then when you get to the wards it's back to thinking you don't know anything. End of MS4 you'll start feeling cocky again but then when the responsibility of residency comes around then the doubt will come back. It's the same cycle everyone goes through.

The dean of my school describes medicine as, "Having the rug pulled out from under you every time you get up." Medicine moves so quickly that as soon as you're even mildly comfortable where you are, it's time to move on. It has definitely created a crisis of confidence in me thus far, and the imposter syndrome is real. We just have to trust everyone when they say it's all part of the process.

I feel ya. Motivates you to work harder though so it ain't all bad

The knowledge and skills you learn as you progress will build up even though you don't consciously feel like you've learned anything. Oftentimes knowledge stored in your unconscious resurfaces to help you tackle your current problems (this applies to both medschool and beyond)

Thank you everyone! Although I guess this is a normal feeling sometimes it is just nice to hear a reminder from people that it is something that most people go through. Really appreciate all the kind comments!

When I read this thread, all I can think of is that scene in Animal House where they paddle the pledges and they all say THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER

Reactions: 1 users