Anyone else find non-neuroscience classes painfully boring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

distracted

MS-II
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MS2 and just finished up my med school's brain/psych/neuro course. I loved the topic and found everything so interesting. However, we've started a pathophys/pathology/pharm course that covers everything else and I'm finding it to be so boring in comparison. I realize the material is important and would like to learn it well, but I'm finding it very difficult to maintain motivation.

I was a humanities major in undergrad and loved how neuroscience combined my interest in science with my interests in philosophy, sociology, etc.... There were so many different intellectual aspects to it. I feel like other pathophysiology -- like cardiac or pulmonary -- is comparatively unidimensional.

Anyone have any suggestions/advice to stay motivated? I am strongly considering psych or neuro as a specialty but would like to do well in all of my classes so I can match into a strong program. I'm concerned though because it is such a chore for me to care about this stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me as well. Its hard when you have that strong interest. I try to remember that people will need me as a general physician, and that a good psych must be a good internal medicine doctor : able to recognize behavioral manifestation of organic diseases.

Me as well. Its hard when you have that strong interest. I try to remember that people will need me as a general physician, and that a good psych must be a good internal medicine doctor : able to recognize behavioral manifestation of organic diseases.

ditto. we'll all have to take the same step 1,2,3. Knowing other stuff is important to do well on every other rotation. It's important to have at least some options when applying to residency.