Anyone else finding Kaplan MCAT45 to be difficult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solitude

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody else finding Kaplan MCAT45 tests to be difficult? Are these passages and questions really that much harder than the actual exam?

Members don't see this ad.

solitude said:
anybody else finding Kaplan MCAT45 tests to be difficult? Are these passages and questions really that much harder than the actual exam?

I've heard bad things about the Kaplan 45, mainly in that its NOT a good predictor of what the actual test would be like. From reading reviews of people that have used it, its supposed to give you nightmare passages, so that if the actual test hits you something of that nature, you won't freak out.

I've also read its a self esteem downer, but that really depends on the person I guess. Also, I've read Kaplan recycles some questions from the book into their full length practice exams.

I don't know if you find it difficult or not, but for me I mainly stayed away from it because I heard that its a poor indicator of the actual test, so I decided not to waste my time on it--but who knows maybe it works for people.

BruceWayne said:
I've heard bad things about the Kaplan 45, mainly in that its NOT a good predictor of what the actual test would be like. From reading reviews of people that have used it, its supposed to give you nightmare passages, so that if the actual test hits you something of that nature, you won't freak out.

I've also read its a self esteem downer, but that really depends on the person I guess. Also, I've read Kaplan recycles some questions from the book into their full length practice exams.

I don't know if you find it difficult or not, but for me I mainly stayed away from it because I heard that its a poor indicator of the actual test, so I decided not to waste my time on it--but who knows maybe it works for people.

Hey thanks for your input. Yeah the passages and questions do seem to be much harder than those on other practice exams which I have looked at. I have only taken physics and gen chem, and did terribly relative to how I have done on other practice tests. Has anybody else given it a try? How did your scores relate to other practice tests? Did you think it would be worthwhile to finish the book?

Thanks again brucewayne.

Members don't see this ad :)
its much harder than the aamc, you should try some aamc like test 8 or 7 to see how you do those are more realistic. The english and physics are way harder than anything you will see on test day.

steven87 said:
its much harder than the aamc, you should try some aamc like test 8 or 7 to see how you do those are more realistic. The english and physics are way harder than anything you will see on test day.

Not necessarily, my verbal in April was the hardest verbal section I'd ever taken, much harder than Kaplan. It's different with each MCAT, but usually there's one really difficult section and the other two are fine.

solitude said:

lol, that's the dumbest book ever!! i can't believe i bought their marketing ploys! anyway, i took a look through it a couple days before the mcat, decided it was useless, and chose to memorize my tpr books instead and return kaplan mcat45 to the bookstore to get my $25 back and buy a shirt or something with the money :p

their level of questions really has nothing to do w/ what's actually on the mcat, and it's totally useless.

i took it from a friend.
i havent looked at it yet, as it says to only look at it once all my prep is done. maybe it will be easier for you once you review all the materials as well first.
i plan on going through the ek complete set, and the kaplan set before touching the k45.
good luck!

It's *supposed* to be difficult. That book is not for people who want a 45, because everyone does. It's for people who are already scoring in the 35+ range, and want to boost their score even higher.

The MCAT45 helped me most with the General Chem section, which tends to be overlooked if you do not dish out $1500 for a prep class (i.e. me). I think the practice with the unique questions in Gen Chem and Physics in this book got me that 11 in PS on test day. :thumbup:

OK having now finished this book, I can say that the suggestions within are essentially worthless. The practice tests were tough, but may be worthwhile for those seeking great scores that need some tough practice. Overall though, I would recommend other practice tests, and certainly other strategic hints.

It is harder, but it's good practice to do something that much harder so the actual test doesn't seem as hard. And by doing it now, it will (hopefully) freak you out enough to make you study more.

I just wouldn't try it right before the test since you don't want to be low on confidence when the real test comes.

And, I agree with solitude about the suggestions. Most of them are fairly basic that you'd see anywhere. I just skipped those and went straight for the problems.

solitude said:

i thought a book explicitly claiming to help people perfect their scores would be easier than the real thing, boy was I wrong. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Not to be mean, but this is perhaps the stupidest thread I have seen on SDN, ever. If you read the preface to this text, your question would've been answered....

quantummechanic said:
i thought a book explicitly claiming to help people perfect their scores would be easier than the real thing, boy was I wrong. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Not to be mean, but this is perhaps the stupidest thread I have seen on SDN, ever. If you read the preface to this text, your question would've been answered....

Thanks. Your post is really profound, too.