Anyone else forgot that they’re going to become doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Govols22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a 2nd year who is staring at his laptop 8-10 hours a day and memorizing fact after fact for Step 1, I honestly forgot why I got into this field. I was assigned to see a patient at the hospital to get some practice writing and presenting patients. I was dreading it. I thought to myself, why would they make us do this pointless task when we should focus on step? But as I asked the questions and presented the patient, I realized how much I enjoyed it. My knowledge was actually be applied, and it felt rewarding. The memories of me working in a hospital and shadowing doctors in undergrad hit me, and reminded me how grateful I am to be in this position. It’s as if I completely lost track of where I am and what I was striving for. I think the hardest thing about 2nd year is that the stress and anxiety levels are at severe high, but without the gratification of learning and practicing as an actual clinical physician. Thankfully they assigned me that rotation. I think in the midst of this grueling journey, these moments of clarity really keep us going. Anyone else have similar feelings or stories?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Hekk..
I am a few MONTHS away and i still forget or don’t believe it.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
  • Haha
Reactions: 19 users
Oh, my sweet summer MS2s. It's about to get so much worse
ya im sure it gets soooo much worse than M2. every single doctor I’ve talked to said they would go back and do any part of their medical training again except second year they would never do second year again. To each their own man I guess it depends on who u talk to. If you talk to an ortho or Nsurgeon who went thru surg residency then yeah it gets worse vs talking with a psychiatrist

Reactions: 1 user
m3 worse than M2, Not even close

Reactions: 8 users
Oh, my sweet summer MS2s. It's about to get so much worse

I think it depends on the person and program. At my school the consensus from the vast majority of 3rd years is that 3rd year was far more enjoyable than 2nd year (a lot of that being due to how terrible our 2nd year curriculum/professors are).

Reactions: 1 users
At my school, 1st and 3rd year were the worst. 2nd year was a cake walk compared to first, excluding step 1 obviously.

Sometimes I forget that I currently am a doctor when I post some stupid dank meme on the interwebs.
in the future we will look back and evaluate physicians on the dankness of their memes. You are a trailblazer.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
M3 >>>>M2 in terms of stress.

In M2, your career can end bc you didn’t memorize the 5th step of the rhodopsin cycle and some PhD thinks you should have. There’s a book called First Aid. I don’t know if you guys have heard of it. But turns out it has the bare minimum of what should be included in a curriculum. There should absolutely be more than just FA, but there is literally zero excuse for not teaching all of this material. But your school doesn’t care. Does this stress you out? Then mandatory wellness lectures for everyone!

In M3, you can just kind of try and get the same eval that the super star got bc your attending gives everyone a similar eval. On some rotations you literally just have to show up on time. The people who stress out are the over-achievers who need perfect third year grades to match into orthopedic-derm-onc or whatever. Not saying their stress isn’t justified. This is a flaw in our broken system that I truly don’t understand. Also, I can only speak for my school, but a passing score is like a 10th percentile on the shelf. The bar is WAAY lower academically. Literally, I’ve met folks in IM/FM who said they just went through the motions after second year until interviews.

M3 is just a time suck where you contribute nothing and barely learn anything. That’s what sucks.

Second year was my favorite year of med school so far.. the material was so much better than M1 and you still are on your own schedule

Reactions: 5 users
M3 here constantly forgetting what this is all about, are you guys being for real when you say theres a day i dont have to act interested in specialties at the absolute bottom of my list of interests? A month can go by and I wont have to work to learn an entirely new work environment and group of people?

M3>>>>M2 for sure though, but i do miss shooting the sh** with the homies during daily anki grinds and having control over my schedule

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am shocked by people who say M3 is easier than M2, or any year of med school for that matter. I spent M3 in a haze of anxiety and stress, waking up before the sun and dreading coming into the hospital everyday. It felt like I was on a job interview which never ended, as opposed to the first two years when I could wake up whenever and only think about the multiple choice test coming up in a few weeks. There’s a lot more attention placed on you and it’s an environment where it’s so easy to embarrass yourself and almost impossible not to at some point, since you’re in a completely new environment with expectations shifting nearly every day. I was rarely uncomfortable the first few years, I was almost always uncomfortable third year. Maybe my reaction to it was a bit more negative than most people’s, but in case other people feel this way you’re not the only one.

I am shocked by people who say M3 is easier than M2, or any year of med school for that matter. I spent M3 in a haze of anxiety and stress, waking up before the sun and dreading coming into the hospital everyday. It felt like I was on a job interview which never ended, as opposed to the first two years when I could wake up whenever and only think about the multiple choice test coming up in a few weeks. There’s a lot more attention placed on you and it’s an environment where it’s so easy to embarrass yourself and almost impossible not to at some point, since you’re in a completely new environment with expectations shifting nearly every day. I was rarely uncomfortable the first few years, I was almost always uncomfortable third year. Maybe my reaction to it was a bit more negative than most people’s, but in case other people feel this way you’re not the only one.

I’m sure it’s really person dependent. The smaller your sample size, the more likely you are to have an extreme result (ie, everyone saying the same thing). FWIW though, my friends who are second years at my school are liking rotations way more than preclerkship. Again that’s a small sample size though and I’m sure some people are wishing they were back in preclerkship.

MS1-MS2: Sit at home in your pajamas and learn about cool stuff for 20-30 hours/week. Pass/fail grading so zero stress about that, ever.
MS3: Spend 12 hours/day sitting around of no real use to anyone until you go home to study for your shelf. Grades drawn out of a hat at the end.

How anybody enjoys the latter more is a mystery to me. Or they just have a different daily MS3 experience at other hospitals

Reactions: 10 users
Or worse, standing around for 12 hours being of no use for anyone. Or stressing out about things which have no real bearing on your future career. I had more stress scrubbing in and setting up the OR than I did taking Step 1.

MS1-MS2: Sit at home in your pajamas and learn about cool stuff for 20-30 hours/week. Pass/fail grading so zero stress about that, ever.
MS3: Spend 12 hours/day sitting around of no real use to anyone until you go home to study for your shelf. Grades drawn out of a hat at the end.

How anybody enjoys the latter more is a mystery to me. Or they just have a different daily MS3 experience at other hospitals

MS3 is very institution dependent. I went to a school where MS3s were encouraged to be active and hands-on, so I enjoyed that way more than MS1-2.

MS3 is very institution dependent. I went to a school where MS3s were encouraged to be active and hands-on, so I enjoyed that way more than MS1-2.
Yeah, I think these massive tertiary centers with huge numbers of residents and support staff limit how much they need us MS3s for. The most fun I've had has been away from the main hospital.

When you accept that trying is pointless it’s not too bad in ms3

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
When you accept that trying is pointless it’s not too bad in ms3
True it was very liberating when I realized that 100% effort and 50% effort had the same chance of Honors. I started spending lots of my time doing Uworld/Onlinemeded while at the hospital and my evals actually went UP.

I've started feeling a lot more sympathetic to program directors though. When you've got 50 applicants per spot, useless clinical grades, no preclinical grades, and potentially soon no USMLE score, I dont know how the hell they're supposed to do their job.

Reactions: 4 users
True it was very liberating when I realized that 100% effort and 50% effort had the same chance of Honors. I started spending lots of my time doing Uworld/Onlinemeded while at the hospital and my evals actually went UP.

I've started feeling a lot more sympathetic to program directors though. When you've got 50 applicants per spot, useless clinical grades, no preclinical grades, and potentially soon no USMLE score, I dont know how the hell they're supposed to do their job.
40D1A9DF-71A1-4A36-9BEB-9F4C861BA7AA.gif

Last edited:
We did a lot as MS3s. It varies by institution and then within institutions by student motivation. I liked MS3 much more than MS2.

My personal experience is that clinical grades are reliable. I had a lot of classmates who would skip clinic, always try to leave early, and not help out when there were definitely things to do (even if it is just helping with residents' scut work because a big part of 3rd year is learning to be a reliable team member). They ended up being people getting Ps and HPs. I think if around 20% at a school get honors and 40% get HP (or whatever breakdown the MSPE shows), it says something if a student is getting mostly Ps. It's not each individual grade that matters, but the general trend compared to their classmates paints an accurate picture. People don't get all honors or mostly honors by coincidence, nor do people get mostly Ps by accident.
Must depend on school. We have stupidly inflated grading here (like, average of 4.3/5) so who gets honors is essentially randomized by whether your on the team with a "3-bomber" or all 5-givers. Talking to people who already had that rotation about who to ask/avoid improved my grades way, way way more than giving 110% effort early on did. Impressing a 3bomber so much that they give you 4s, simply cant compete with just finding the burnt out guy who also went here for med school and gives all 5s because they know the rules to the game.

Oh and NBMEs are only 25% of the grade, so literally my recipe for success has been to ignore shelves beyond what I need to do for a score around the class average and then leave early, and just put all my effort into finding out who to ask for evals. Been a huge success, highly recommend if your school is similar.

Last edited:
Must depend on school. We have stupidly inflated grading here (like, average of 4.3/5) so who gets honors is essentially randomized by whether your on the team with a "3-bomber" or all 5-givers. Talking to people who already had that rotation about who to ask/avoid improved my grades way, way way more than giving 110% effort early on did. Impressing a 3bomber so much that they give you 4s, simply cant compete with just finding the burnt out guy who also went here for med school and gives all 5s because they know the rules to the game.

Oh and NBMEs are only 25% of the grade, so literally my recipe for success has been to ignore shelves beyond what I need to do for a score around the class average and then leave early, and just put all my effort into finding out who to ask for evals. Been a huge success, highly recommend if your school is similar.

Finding all 5-givers is the dream.

Finding all 5-givers is the dream.
I’ve just stopped even trying because my sites actually grade you and averages out to like a 3.5/5 so unless you kill the shelf you have no shot

I’ve just stopped even trying because my sites actually grade you and averages out to like a 3.5/5 so unless you kill the shelf you have no shot
If the average actually left some room on either side of the bell so that 4's and 5's meant something, MS3 would be way less frustrating. For me it just feels like a game of "spot the 5-giver"

If the average actually left some room on either side of the bell so that 4's and 5's meant something, MS3 would be way less frustrating. For me it just feels like a game of "spot the 5-giver"
At mine you need a 4.6 average to even get a high pass unless you destroy the shelf then you can get a 4 average for high pass. It’s next to impossible to get much else besides a pass at my site. It was frustrating at first but now I’m going for comments over number grades

At mine you need a 4.6 average to even get a high pass unless you destroy the shelf then you can get a 4 average for high pass. It’s next to impossible to get much else besides a pass at my site. It was frustrating at first but now I’m going for comments over number grades
4.6 out of 5 for a high pass??

I mean, we can tell ourselves that MSPE comments are a big part of our app, but really...

At my school, the clerkship directors know many of the attendings and for some rotations they have a private meeting at the end of the rotation to figure out who to give honors to. So there’s less of an ability to pick and choose or “play the game.” Pretty much just have to do your best and hope it works out.

4.6 out of 5 for a high pass??

I mean, we can tell ourselves that MSPE comments are a big part of our app, but really...
yeah 4.6/5 and at least average on the shelf. It's insanity. And the grading scale is that a 5/5 is "performing at the level of a resident", so of course none of us get it in a program that has residents to directly compare us to. I mean cmon that's the whole point of clinical years haha I'm going for comments to try to save my otherwise almost entirely pass grading with a few HPs sprinkled in. Trying to tell myself that'll be fine

yeah 4.6/5 and at least average on the shelf. It's insanity. And the grading scale is that a 5/5 is "performing at the level of a resident", so of course none of us get it in a program that has residents to directly compare us to. I mean cmon that's the whole point of clinical years haha I'm going for comments to try to save my otherwise almost entirely pass grading with a few HPs sprinkled in. Trying to tell myself that'll be fine
Hopefully they word your MSPE well, so it's clear that having a bunch of passes and being an above-average student are not mutually exclusive

Hopefully they word your MSPE well, so it's clear that having a bunch of passes and being an above-average student are not mutually exclusive
My school only has honors/pass/fail and grading is 100% on the shelf. Had a fourth year tell me they were asked on a few interviews why they had only received a pass in the field they were applying to and they had to explain the grading system.

My school only has honors/pass/fail and grading is 100% on the shelf. Had a fourth year tell me they were asked on a few interviews why they had only received a pass in the field they were applying to and they had to explain the grading system.
Ouch. I don't understand why schools would want to hamstring their own students like that. A Pass in your intended field makes you an autoreject for a lot of away rotations and surely will kill your chances at a lot of programs

We did a lot as MS3s. It varies by institution and then within institutions by student motivation. I liked MS3 much more than MS2.

My personal experience is that clinical grades are reliable. I had a lot of classmates who would skip clinic, always try to leave early, and not help out when there were definitely things to do (even if it is just helping with residents' scut work because a big part of 3rd year is learning to be a reliable team member). They ended up being people getting Ps and HPs. I think if around 20% at a school get honors and 40% get HP (or whatever breakdown the MSPE shows), it says something if a student is getting mostly Ps. It's not each individual grade that matters, but the general trend compared to their classmates paints an accurate picture. People don't get all honors or mostly honors by coincidence, nor do people get mostly Ps by accident.

I actually agree with this in the sense that I think med students put too much of an emphasis on third year being a "game" and trying to outmaneuver the system when really the people I saw who did the best just worked really hard and put patient care in front of everything. You can definitely focus too much on trying to game everything at the expense of your actual performance. That being said, it's hard to do really well when you just fundamentally hate being on clinical rotations.

I actually agree with this in the sense that I think med students put too much of an emphasis on third year being a "game" and trying to outmaneuver the system when really the people I saw who did the best just worked really hard and put patient care in front of everything. You can definitely focus too much on trying to game everything at the expense of your actual performance. That being said, it's hard to do really well when you just fundamentally hate being on clinical rotations.
I dunno man, I've seen people who actually wanted to do surgery and busted their butt get HP because they made the mistake of asking whoever they worked most with instead of scouting out scores. Meanwhile people who had zero intention of surgery and phoned it in coasted by with near perfect 5s because of word of mouth from friends. As a predictable result, I even know people that have directly asked potential evaluators if they'd give 5s or told evaluators about how inflated the grading here is to insulate themselves.

Oh, not to mention the rampant cheating on standardized patient exams that are supposed to be secret. I've seen it as bold as people straight up quid-pro-quo trading the info between rotations (e.g. I'll tell you the Medicine SPs if you tell me the Surgery ones). I haven't had a single core in which multiple friends haven't offered the info to me. They recently wrote new SPs for our emergency medicine unit and the first cohort tanked because they couldn't pre-study UpToDate on exactly what they were about to walk into anymore.

Maybe it's different between institutions but at least here, if you're out there just giving it the ol' college try and not playing the game, you're putting your grades at a disadvantage. I hate it and wish it wasn't the case, but it 100% is.

I dunno man, I've seen people who actually wanted to do surgery and busted their butt get HP because they made the mistake of asking whoever they worked most with instead of scouting out scores. Meanwhile people who had zero intention of surgery and phoned it in coasted by with near perfect 5s because of word of mouth from friends. As a predictable result, I even know people that have directly asked potential evaluators if they'd give 5s or told evaluators about how inflated the grading here is to insulate themselves.

Oh, not to mention the rampant cheating on standardized patient exams that are supposed to be secret. I've seen it as bold as people straight up quid-pro-quo trading the info between rotations (e.g. I'll tell you the Medicine SPs if you tell me the Surgery ones). I haven't had a single core in which multiple friends haven't offered the info to me. They recently wrote new SPs for our emergency medicine unit and the first cohort tanked because they couldn't pre-study UpToDate on exactly what they were about to walk into anymore.

Maybe it's different between institutions but at least here, if you're out there just giving it the ol' college try and not playing the game, you're putting your grades at a disadvantage. I hate it and wish it wasn't the case, but it 100% is.
Our school is a bit larger, and it does some interesting things in terms of giving course directors discretion for giving Honors according to their own internal metrics. Our surgery rotation and peds rotation director said straight up, that your numerical score is flawed because of differences in grading. We will meet, discuss your performance in a committee and will assign a grade based on comments compared to other individuals. No point in arguing about averages on the scale because we essentially reserve veto power. It may be arbitrary, and I don't know the distribution of grades yet, but the hard working people that I know have been fairly graded, and the people as stated above who are essentially finding the easiest way to get out have been getting pass.

Our school is a bit larger, and it does some interesting things in terms of giving course directors discretion for giving Honors according to their own internal metrics. Our surgery rotation and peds rotation director said straight up, that your numerical score is flawed because of differences in grading. We will meet, discuss your performance in a committee and will assign a grade based on comments compared to other individuals. No point in arguing about averages on the scale because we essentially reserve veto power. It may be arbitrary, and I don't know the distribution of grades yet, but the hard working people that I know have been fairly graded, and the people as stated above who are essentially finding the easiest way to get out have been getting pass.

That is so solid. Ours is funky. 65% eval, 35% shelf. And the evals vary across the board. It's a pain.

That is so solid. Ours is funky. 65% eval, 35% shelf. And the evals vary across the board. It's a pain.
It's definitely 50/50 and if you do exceptional on one and not the other you get a hp.

Double edged sword I imagine, but good news for the people that will try extraordinarily hard on the fields they intend to go into. We're only 25% shelf weighting and use numerical evals only, with no controlling for what each evaluator's average is like or what the comments say. More objective, in a way, but also worse, in a way.

Wow. This is shocking to me. Everyone hates SP encounters but I've never heard of cheating like this.

Oh there is definitely some funky stuff going on in specific rotations and in certain schools, and the “connected” people get ahead when it comes to gaming the system. However, when it comes to your performance for the full year, there’s only so much that kind of stuff can do for you. Good work and a good attitude will eventually shine through.

Wow. This is shocking to me. Everyone hates SP encounters but I've never heard of cheating like this.
Nobody even bats an eye, its wild. I even had a resident on my most recent core, who liked me and happened to be an alum of our med school, tell me to brush up on a few specific topics the day beforehand that turned out to be exactly what they were about.

Oh there is definitely some funky stuff going on in specific rotations and in certain schools, and the “connected” people get ahead when it comes to gaming the system. However, when it comes to your performance for the full year, there’s only so much that kind of stuff can do for you. Good work and a good attitude will eventually shine through.
Hope you're right, at least at your school. I think most of the benefit to being well liked here is that people will tip you off about who to ask for an eval. Comments mean nothing at all here, so 100% of the value is in picking the guy who just clicks through all 5's and leaves "good work keep reading" in the box.

Nobody even bats an eye, its wild. I even had a resident on my most recent core, who liked me and happened to be an alum of our med school, tell me to brush up on a few specific topics the day beforehand that turned out to be exactly what they were about.

Hope you're right, at least at your school. I think most of the benefit to being well liked here is that people will tip you off about who to ask for an eval. Comments mean nothing at all here, so 100% of the value is in picking the guy who just clicks through all 5's and leaves "good work keep reading" in the box.

Probably the people who are god level third year are savvy enough to get the right people and the right rotations but care enough about the patients to seem genuine.

Our school will also just force the evals. Like you have no choice in who is going to grade you on many rotations. So you get the luck of the draw , on other rotations you can game a little by knowing which people to pick or choose, but it is all moot at the end of the day when those comittees meet and "normalize".

As a 2nd year who is staring at his laptop 8-10 hours a day and memorizing fact after fact for Step 1, I honestly forgot why I got into this field. I was assigned to see a patient at the hospital to get some practice writing and presenting patients. I was dreading it. I thought to myself, why would they make us do this pointless task when we should focus on step? But as I asked the questions and presented the patient, I realized how much I enjoyed it. My knowledge was actually be applied, and it felt rewarding. The memories of me working in a hospital and shadowing doctors in undergrad hit me, and reminded me how grateful I am to be in this position. It’s as if I completely lost track of where I am and what I was striving for. I think the hardest thing about 2nd year is that the stress and anxiety levels are at severe high, but without the gratification of learning and practicing as an actual clinical physician. Thankfully they assigned me that rotation. I think in the midst of this grueling journey, these moments of clarity really keep us going. Anyone else have similar feelings or stories?

Just to prepare you, this will happen again your first year of residency for sure, and possibly your 2nd depending on what you specialize in. Then somewhere early-mid in PGY-3 year when youre having to do everything on your own, and manage residents under you on top of that, you again will have that "**** just got real....but its kinda awesome!" moment and its both a positive and a negative. Positive because it will give you that final push you need to get through to the end, negative because you realize youre not even close to done yet.

Wait till they let you assist in a surgery for the first time and then you get to post-op that patient, you'll never meet a more grateful person; its truly heart warming.

Wait till they let you assist in a surgery for the first time and then you get to post-op that patient, you'll never meet a more grateful person; its truly heart warming.
Who's the person? The patient?