• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

TheAmazingGOB

It ain't easy bein' white
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
This is a pet peeve of mine, but maybe I'm just weird. Anyway, I hate it when people say MCATs. Last time I checked it was the Medical College Admission Test. Not Tests. TEST. It's the MCAT. It's one test. So please, if you are going to refer to the test, call it the MCAT. Does anyone else agree with me????

(I almost couldn't get through Meet the Parents after hearing them talk about the MCATs so much.)

MonkeyNuts!

Even Kal has bad days...
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2005
no but i get annoyed when people say "stupid idiot" because that's like saying "stupid stupid person."

About the Ads

instigata

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
This is a pet peeve of mine, but maybe I'm just weird. Anyway, I hate it when people say MCATs. Last time I checked it was the Medical College Admissions Test. Not Tests. TEST. It's the MCAT. It's one test. So please, if you are going to refer to the test, call it the MCAT. Does anyone else agree with me????

(I almost couldn't get through Meet the Parents after hearing them talk about the MCATs so much.)

Yes and I also get pissed when people repeat threads :rolleyes:

Mr. Tee

Indentured servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
This is a pet peeve of mine, but maybe I'm just weird. Anyway, I hate it when people say MCATs. Last time I checked it was the Medical College Admissions Test. Not Tests. TEST. It's the MCAT. It's one test. So please, if you are going to refer to the test, call it the MCAT. Does anyone else agree with me????

Last time I checked it was the Medical College Admission Test. Not Admissions. ADMISSION. So please, if you are going to refer to the test, call it the MCAT, not MCAsT.

Tatowedges

clap your hands say yeah
10+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
It's MCATs because it has more than one part/section. Just like how we say pants instead of pant.

PreMedMommy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2005
Oklahoma
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
It's MCATs because sometimes people take it more than once. In that case, they have taken the (read: some) MCATs.

CagedBird

Don't Worry, Be Happy
10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
This is a pet peeve of mine, but maybe I'm just weird. Anyway, I hate it when people say MCATs. Last time I checked it was the Medical College Admission Test. Not Tests. TEST. It's the MCAT. It's one test. So please, if you are going to refer to the test, call it the MCAT. Does anyone else agree with me????

Haha, I am in TOTAL agreement!!! It annoys me to no end when people say MCATs and I thought it was just me being a little OCD lol. It's the MCAT, where did the s come from?

JennyB

10+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2006
NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
At least it's better than when my grandma talks about how I took the "MCAPS" and what my "MCAPS" score was. No matter how many times I try to correct her, somehow MCAPS always slips. :oops:

About the Ads

TheAmazingGOB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
It's MCATs because sometimes people take it more than once. In that case, they have taken the (read: some) MCATs.
No. That just means you've taken the MCAT more than once. It's just one test even if you've taken that one test multiple times. Now excuse me while I go check on my status at the admission office.

Tatowedges

clap your hands say yeah
10+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Not at all.

Not at all what? You don't say pants? Or not at all, you don't like my analogy?

It's okay. I can live with that :) Actually a friend of mine says MCATS all the time. I couldn't help noticing but never mentioned it.

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
For me it is when poeple say "The HIV virus"

the V stands for Virus!!!!!!

pyrois

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2006
Berkeley, CA
Status (Visible)
Nope, just as I don't get annoyed when people say "I'm studying for boards" (when referring specifically to the USMLE step 1) or "I'm studying for SATs" (SAT I) or "I'm studying for MCATs."

Then again, I seldom get annoyed for things that have no real negative consequence.

Mr. Tee

Indentured servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student

"MSTP program"

The P stands for program! This is a common mistake made my med schools themselves!

Mr. Tee

Indentured servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Not at all what? You don't say pants? Or not at all, you don't like my analogy?

It's okay. I can live with that :) Actually a friend of mine says MCATS all the time. I couldn't help noticing but never mentioned it.

No; it's not because there are multiple sections.

pyrois

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2006
Berkeley, CA
Status (Visible)

I can just imagine it now:p

Significant Other: Disinence2... this is really hard for me to say but... I... I... I have the HIV virus.

*pause*

Disinence2: You know, the V in HIV stands for virus. So you didn't really need to say virus again. Just FYI.

*awkward silence*

Funky

This space is for sale
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2006
NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
oh dear God, i hope it's not plural (regarding mcats)

About the Ads

KOREAownsGando

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Hmm... interestingly, this senior who got 37 on his MCAT says that he got a 37 on the MCATS :p

E

Eric Lindros

Yeah it pisses me off too. I've already nunchuked 3 people to death who have said it.

JohnMadden

Political Refugee
10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
Aren't multiple forms of the MCAT taken? Therefore multiple Medical College Admissions Tests are administered -> MCATs -

Only for argument's sake. I don't really think it's MCATs. It is one test.

ATM Machine is another one...

TheAmazingGOB

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My favorite thing about this thread is now when all the non-MCATs haters hear someone say MCATs, they're going to think, "That really IS annoying!" and become an MCATs hater. You really have to hear someone say it in casual conversation for it to sound stupid, reading it on SDN doesn't do it justice. Stupid MCATs idiots! (that's for you eternalrage)

Anastasis

caffeinated for safety
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
TX
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Maybe this is something only a Texan can relate to but I really want to smack the people that say "Rio Grande River" :rolleyes:

About the Ads

sashie19

10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2006
Georgia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but MCATs is annoying, and MedCATs is annoying (to me).

My dad also drives me crazy when he says "cheese queso dip".

xylem29

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
i get annoyed when you tell people you're applying to med school and they're like "oh, interesting (with a tone of uninterest), is it difficult to get in like law school?"

EBI831

legend in the making
10+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2006
Chi-town royalty
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i can't stand when people say the avian bird flu. doesn't avian mean bird? but on the medical train of thought, i can't stand when people say i bet she's URM? it's underrepresented minory and thus needs some kind of article before it ie "i bet she's a URM/ or can be i bet she's an URM if you are anal and don't read abbreviations but actually pronounce it out word for word)

dontwakeme

10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
I find it annoying when people use an apostrophe in a plural, nonpossessive word e.g. "Is it OK if I take my pre-req's at a community college?"

Pancho Villa

10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
i think it's appropriate that every statement from here on out begin with

"you know what really grinds my gears?"

PZMO

10+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I find it annoying when people use an apostrophe in a plural, nonpossessive word e.g. "Is it OK if I take my pre-req's at a community college?"

THANK YOU. That is, to me, the most annoying thing ever. What makes it more annoying is that otherwise very educated people do it- all the time. Seriously- not that hard to figure out.

Mr. Tee

Indentured servant
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
THANK YOU. That is, to me, the most annoying thing ever. What makes it more annoying is that otherwise very educated people do it- all the time. Seriously- not that hard to figure out.

You know what? Your right.

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2006
New York, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]

The only time I will do this is if I'm using an abbreviation. I know that it's gramattically incorrect (well to be frank, the abbreviation is gramatically incorrect), but it would just seem weird for me to see it without the apostrophe.

pre-reqs vs. pre-req's
ECs vs. EC's

I like the apostrophe because it creates a separation.

beenthere2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Haha, I am in TOTAL agreement!!! It annoys me to no end when people say MCATs and I thought it was just me being a little OCD lol. It's the MCAT, where did the s come from?

There are lots of "misnomers" like this. If you allow yourself the privilege, you can be annoyed all the time! (Like me...I've been called a "grammar Nazi".) Ever hear someone refer to "daylight savings time"? Ouch! It's daylight SAVING time...no "S". Your savings are in the bank, not on your watch.

Don't let it bother you. :)

Also..."I could care less."- Great! That means you care! Should be: "I couldn't care less." I'd better stop or else I will go on forever. You have awakened a "sleeping giant"!

Stolenspatulas

10+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I always referred to it as the MCAT.

I think when people refer to it as the MCATs they are awakening the group dynamic-- that conduit between us all, our shared pain and pleasure with the test.

When I tell someone, "Yea the MCATs are comin' up in August" --- I awaken cries and woes of all my fellow sleepless premeds that will ache with me, for I am not alone.

When I say, "Yea the MCAT was ok" I am refering to my own trials and tribulations with the test.

When I say, "The MCATs suck ass" I am again evoking that grouply sense.

suffer yet?

Nomemory

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 15, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

:thumbup: :D :thumbup:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.