Anyone else get automatically rejected?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdg4dq

Reaction score
Hi there! Looking for some advice, input, experience etc. I applied to VCU as an in-state resident, submitted my secondaries on Thursday, and got rejected on Friday (not even 24 hours later.

I've got pretty competitive scores and extracurriculars (MCAT >518, GPA >3.9, have an MPH, did a research fellowship in the UK, etc). It's one thing to be rejected, but I feel like they didn't even read my application. Has anyone else heard of this happening at VCU? or elsewhere? Thanks in advance. Just tryna figure out what happened/if I did something stupefyingly wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

With your app, they know from historical norms that candidates like you go elsewhere, like to U VA and JHU...ect. This is known as resource protection because there are only so many interview slots.

Hi there! Looking for some advice, input, experience etc. I applied to VCU as an in-state resident, submitted my secondaries on Thursday, and got rejected on Friday (not even 24 hours later.

I've got pretty competitive scores and extracurriculars (MCAT >518, GPA >3.9, have an MPH, did a research fellowship in the UK, etc). It's one thing to be rejected, but I feel like they didn't even read my application. Has anyone else heard of this happening at VCU? or elsewhere? Thanks in advance. Just tryna figure out what happened/if I did something stupefyingly wrong.

Ditto on what Goro said

One of my best friends was rejected post secondary. She had a 521 MCAT top 25 undergrad lots of research 3.9+ GPA. She’s now an M3 at Hopkins. Also received interviews/acceptances from Harvard UVA BostonU Columbia etc etc.

Her boyfriend had similar stats (520 but higher GPA) but received an interview to VCU. He rejected the interview since he had gotten into UVA by then. He’s an M3 at Sinai

VCU is pretty selective for those that they give secondaries to (3000/10000) and interviews were 703 this past year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto on what Goro said

One of my best friends was rejected post secondary. She had a 521 MCAT top 25 undergrad lots of research 3.9+ GPA. She’s now an M3 at Hopkins. Also received interviews/acceptances from Harvard UVA BostonU Columbia etc etc.

Her boyfriend had similar stats (520 but higher GPA) but received an interview to VCU. He rejected the interview since he had gotten into UVA by then. He’s an M3 at Sinai

VCU is pretty selective for those that they give secondaries to (3000/10000) and interviews were 703 this past year.

I didn’t know this about VCU. Seems kinder to applicants

With your app, they know from historical norms that candidates like you go elsewhere, like to U VA and JHU...ect. This is known as resource protection because there are only so many interview slots.

One can get resource protected by one’s own state medical school?

It’s like Brutus stabbing Caesar in the back.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I really appreciate it. I guess that makes sense since interviews are valuable commodities. I hope that's what it is. That's probably my best bet.

Also A+ use of the Brutus reference. Our state motto is sic semper tyrannis, so very fitting

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users