Anyone else get the HPSP Scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ElrondontoDO

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there was any other 2005 student that got the scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

That is ARMY HPSP. Just wanted to get some info about how ya like it?

I Have an Army HPSP. Where are you going to school? I will either be at CCOM or GW. I have talked with a 3rd year at CCOM and he loves it. The HPSP is a graet option especially for DO since you can get ACGME or AOA boarded. Also make sure you join USAA(united states army automobile asscoitaion)There web sit is www.usaa.com. I got swarn in April and isigned up immediately and I am saving 550 a year on car insurance. I want to do EM so I chose army and I also had worked with some docs at Walter Reed. I will be doing the OBC in San Antonio next summer. Make sure we stay in touch. make sure you are prepared for th PT. I am a marathon runner, but I have no upper body so I am working on that. Also if you specialize ypu may owe dounle the time so say you do an INfectious Disease fellowship that is 3 years the you owe them 6 + your 4 from med school. I want to do a rotation in Hawaii!! Chaeck out the infectius Disease rotatio 7-430 no cal , weekends or holidays. Take advantage of all the perks. Good luck!! drop me an email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about the typos. It is difficult to type while holding 10 month old who may be a future linbacker in the nfl.--Good Luck!!

there are a quite a number of people in this forum that have or are considering the HPSP. if you look around there have been post for army, navy and air force HPSP.

I have Army HPSP and will be seeing you guys next summer in San Antonio. My aunt is chief of child psych. at walter reed and that got me interested in the entire military thing. right now i want to go into sports medicine (in general) so that was another deciding factor in taking a military scholarship. etc. etc.

peace!
~j
COMP '05

Hey guys,

I am currently an Army Captain and have decided to do HPSP also (UHSCOM 05) I leave Fort Bragg tomorrow for my summer vacation!
Anyway, if you have any questions about Army life I would be glad to help. I am currently a Medical Service guy so I have done all the AMEDD stuff (OBC is a blast!) Feel free to keep this thread going or email me at [email protected].

Congrats on the scholarships!

Batory,Where did you by your uniforms(catalog, store) and what types of material are best(iknow there are cheap and expensive materials)? also, What weeken is good to have your family visit at officer basic? You will be doing another rotation then while we are in OBC or do they send you to advanced officer school? Any other advice or thoughts woul be appreciated. I wil be at CCOM OR GWU. Dc has lots of PX's, but there is only Great lake in Chicago. Good luck and Thanks!!!

Hey Pete,

I am currently down at Tripler doing my core psych rotation. So far it has been a pretty good rotation. Hours are 7-4 with excellent student lectures and many DOs in the department. I am housed right behind the hospital in the guest house. Hawaii is beautiful, but i wouldn't want to live here.

Good luck with you decision making. Both schools are great, but of course I am partial to CCOM.

Hey Bill!! That is great news.What dept are you rotating through? Is your family going to visit? My wife ended up getting a great job in DC, but we still are not firm as to where we are going.I ended up on the alternate list at GW, so she took the job. Although, we knew it was a risk. AArgh!! I could car less. both schools are great but if we can both be happy that would be nice. Otherwise she will bag it in and head to the windy city Aug 1 and look for a new job. I hope to meet you no matter where I end up.You have been a great help. Thanks!!!

hey doatc,
i want to do a non-adt clerkship out at tripler but dont want to go broke staying there for a month. have you heard anybody out there that is willing to rent a room or something to a hpsp student??

thankx

MatoPet1 or anyone else,

What do you mean that you might have to serve more time than the 4 years (i.e medical school)?? If you specialize you have to serve more time (if this is so can you go more in depth)?? I'm looking into the scholarship, but I'm trying to obtain as much info. as possible.

THANK YOUR FOR THE RESPONSE,

pat

FutrDocWatson,
I hope I am right in assuming that we are talking about post residency fellowships.
If you take a military fellowship while you are in the military they pay you full pay, allowances, benifits and for most costs incurred. In return for this you agree extend the ammount of time you owe. This factor should probably not have MUCH bearing on a decision to take the HPSP because it is something that probably would not occur until near the end of your payback for the HPSP anyway. At that time you would decide again weather or not what you get is worth what you give.

What's a military doc's annual income? Are they different by branches? (army vs. navy vs. air force)

Members don't see this ad :)
Adismo. Remeber. All HPSP get med school,fees, and books payed for and they get a stipend of 1100 a month for 10.5 months and then 1.5 months 2700 month (ADT). Basically you make 10 k more a year during residency and once you are done you make between 110k to 135 k depending on specialty. Also, roughly 2o k is untaxable that is you VHA(variable housing allowance) and BAQ (basic allowance for quarters). Plus you can moon light as long as you are not a Department head generally. Plus you have the military benefits. Not a bad deal especially if you amrried with kids. ---Hope that helps.

Most of what you said was correct. The part about the between 110k and 135k needs to be modified to between 80k and 110k. 135k is definitely possible but that would be toward the end of a complete 20 year career with good promotions.

SSG Monte H. Gray
U.S. Army Health Care Recruiter
(had to make sure you knew my quals)

Hey all... I'm actually at HPSP/USUHS OBC right now, until July 26 or so... We just finished inprocessing today, and wear our uniforms for the first time tomorrow. If you really wanna be squared away for OBC, make sure you get your uniforms BEFORE you get here-- it's a mess w/ 300+ people trying to buy uniforms and get their patches sewn on... Also, go ahead and buy some boots-- wear them and polish them, and you'll be all set for at least this first week :) My other piece of advice is to find someone who is prior service or ROTC (like me) and attach yourself to them.. Your stress level will be greatly reduced, and we really don't mind helping you out with any questions you have :) You more to come later, if anyone is interested.

take it easy

homonculus

Homonclus,Let us know how OBC is and what suggestions you have. I am buying my uniforms before hand. My recruiter and the Major I interviewed with gave me catalogs. Good Luck!!!

Hey Doc Hunter or should I call you Sgt? I believe as a first year board certified EM doc you make about 101k with MSP,ISP, and board cert pay thrown in. What does an IM/Psych, or FP/PSYCH make or a Surgeon? Thanks. --Lt. PGM

Pete,

This link will answer your questions:
http://www.perscom.army.mil/OPhsdMc/medcorps.htm

The upper right hand corner of the page will give you info in special pays for medical specialties. You already know that you should add all of your bonuses to your base pay/BAH/Sub Allowences. You can get these figures at:
http://www.dfas.mil

Example:

Ft. Sam
O3 ER Doc
1st year out of residency

Base Pay O3 over 3yrs: 38,736.00
BAH w/dep: 11,016.00 non taxed
BAS: 1,925.04 non taxed
VSP: 5,000
BCP: 2,500
ISP: 22,000
MASP: 15,000
NO MSP during payback

Total: 96,117.00

Take into account that your BAH and BAS are non taxable so this will in a sense increase your gross pay.

You can work out the others on your own.

Bill
MS4 CCOM

Hey Bill! Thanks for the response. Did you get my email I sent. We are throwing our stuff in storage and will hang with relatives in DC. If Gw does not happen we will bag it in and head to sweet home Chicago come Aug 1.I am so excited to start. Julie R was going to see if Dr.Ohare would let me do my ECCP with him or somebody else who was FP/EM. CCOM has been awesome about getting back to me with my questions. I gave an older non-tradional with 2 kids your email. She had a PHD and her kids were around 8 and 12. Thanks!!!---Peter

you will also get to shop at the Post exchange and commisary, where there is NO sales tax. think of how much money you'd save if there were no taxes on your department store or grocery purchases.... just another perk ;)

take it easy

homonculus

I have a gripe about commissary. It dosn't really save you too much. Next time you purchase something from the Commissary, look at the bottom of the receipt. THEY CHARGE A 5% TAX FOR ALL PURCHASES to pay for "daily operations." Even for food items that you would pay no tax for at a civilian grocery store gets taxed 5%. So because of this service charge tax, the commissary dosn't save you as much as you think, considering you pay no tax at food stores for food items.

The BX is a good deal on most items.

actually, i bought $50 worth of stuff yesterday at the comissary, and $30 worth of stuff at the px. The total was exactly the total of all the items-- no taxes or service fees.... were you active duty when you went there?

take it easy

homonculus

homonuclus,

the BX dosn't charge a service charge, the the commissary does. Check you're receipt. There should be a service charge.

hey TNT-which px/bx do you go to?

~j
COMP '05

Is this scholaship limited to what you can specialize in? Can you specialize in pathology?

Pyoj,

I've been to the commissary of LA air force base and moffit field in san jose. They both charged me a service charge.

On the bottom of the reciept, the is a service charge. I called and asked them about this and they said that everyone gets charged a 5% charge for running the facilities.

Hey DocHunter9,
Can I specialize in pathology under this scholarship?

pecan.... you can specialize in anything you want....

I thought the special pays didnt kick in until your obligation for med school was completed. Do they kick in when you are out of residencie or when your done with commitment? Can any body answer this?

For anyone interested I will be happy to answer any Navy scholarship questions. I am a retired Navy Captain and osteopathic Family Doctor. My 29 years on active duty have helped me to understand the system and I would be have to share experiences and give advise as a "Sea Daddy" to all my junior shipmates.
Additionally, I am at Pikeville and will be happy to share my knowledge of the program and the efforts being made to establish new AOA approved residencies in the Southeast.

Sorry I couldnt reply folks, I have been on emergency leave for the last couple of weeks and just returned to work today. I see though that most of the questions have been answered. If you have more, Im back.

Dr. A - Optic
I am Navy HPSP but I just recently received the scholarship....to late for OIS this summer. I have allergies to cats, so I am still getting med clearance from pulmonologist. I am in school next summer as well, so my question is, when the heck am I supposed to go to OIS. My recruiter says that I can do it after I graduate, but then, how will I put in my active duty time over the summers if I am not an officer yet?
Also, I talked to a retired Navy PA, Chuck Fugate, who seemed to suggest to me that the best Navy life was at sea. For those of us with an adventurous heart, no significant other, and a drive for advancement, what are the best tours to seek out? I know I want to be at sea, and also eventually attend NOMI. Do you suggest carriers, SeaB's, cruisers, gater-freighters, etc.?
Thanks for any info.
Bustin

bustinbooty,

You'd need to attend OIS the summer after your first year in med school.... you're recruiter seemed misinformed.... That first OIS will count for your forty some odd days on active duty.... Then summers after that you'd need to further serve....

I heard Flight Surgeons are a great experience as well....

Later, :cool:

This was my understanding too, but KCOM goes year 'round. My longest vacation during the summer is 3 weeks...leaving no window for OIS until I graduate I assume?

That's true.... Did you try contacting KCOM about their previous HPSPers?

During your first year in KCOM, seek out the other HPSPers and find out from them and learn from them....

Otherwise... that's the limits of my HPSP knowledge.... Good luck and best wishes....

Dear Bustinbooty,
Popoy is correct. OIS is essential. Many of the HPSP rotations will not except you if you do not have OIS. This is also true for the Navy's intern and residency programs. You need to contact Dr. (Capt. MC USNR) Lloyd Clever at KCOM he should be able to help you. If not I will check the message board daily.
As far as a career goes, being allergic to Cats and sea duty seems to go hand in hand. What I would suggest is that you do a transitional or rotating internship in preparation for your "operational" tour. Thay way you will be better prepared for all that you may face as a Ship's Doc or Marine Doc (they probably forgot to tell you we also provide care to the "world's finest". If you are unsure of a career in flight, undersea, surface or combat medicine... try and find a rotation at a base that has these individules. If you would like I would be happy to make suggestions and give you names of folks to talk to. There is also great information on the AMOPS.org web site (This is the Association of Military Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons, an organization the represents DO's in uniform to the AOA. IT also is a bunch of DO's in the military that would love to help students...Check it out.
Fair winds and Following Seas... Capt M

Dr. A Optic, As a former marine Im interested in the Navy hpsp yet Im worried about age i will be 38 when I start med school. will it be possible to get an age waiver. Also due MD/Do serve in combat related roles with the corps. Im seriously considering recon or something like that. Semper Fi.

Big Bill,

When you complete residency you will get all of your bonuses except for the Multi-year incentive bonus (MSP). If you look back at my post, you will see that all of the bonuses are included except the MSP.

To Big Bill,
The services all require you be able to retire as an officer before age 62 (this may have changed so check with recruiting and HPSP). I would assume you will be 41 or 42 at graduation...correct? In this case they may need a waver, but it is not impossible if you are in good physical shape and health. I would advise you talk with someone in the HPSP area ASAP.
As far as "operational" duty with the Marines there should be no problem. But as you know you would have to qualify to do the Recon and combat tours. If you are interested I could give you the E-mail of the current MEF surgeon (a DO from Des Moines) and he could advise you. Please contact me via regular e-mail for the information. Semper Fi!!!
Remember the Marines are always looking for a few good men....Navy Doc's

Doatc, Thanks for the reply and I did look back at the post and checked the armies perscom site and it said the same thing. And Dr. Optic I sent you a personal message.
Thanx Big Bill.

Dr. A-Optic, look please into your private message box under your profile, I have a question for you.

Can someone direct me to the basics for receiving the HPSP Scholarship. Do you have to go through boot camp? I'm 5'5 so how much do I have to weigh to qualify? What is the OIS (sp?) that you do in the summer?

All you have to do to get started with the HPSP scholarship is to contact your local recruiter and they'll give you a contact person for the HPSP recruiters, then the rest is history....

You will need to do a medical physical examination in one of the Armed Forces Medical processing center....

There is no "boot camp" you need to do just OIS (Officer's Indocrination School). OIS is what they call it in the Navy other armed forces have different acronyms. OIS is a 6wks program for you to learn how to wear the uniform, salute, physical (boot-camp like but nothing like the real thing), bed check, etc.....

For more details here is the Navy OIS home page: http://www.cnet.navy.mil/netc/ois/
There's more in this site than I can possibly explain....

As for your height vs. weight requirement here's another link: http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/news/navnews/nns94/nns94043.txt

Basically, if you're 5'5" Woman you're minimum physical readiness weight is 106lbs and maximum of 144lbs. If you're male of 5'5" stature you need to have a minimum weight of 106lbs and maximum weight of 169.... There are loopholes.... That is you can measure your waist line (above your navel) and subtract your neck line (above your "adam's apple") and if you get below 21inches then you still qualify.... This is how they did it last year and they may have changed the maximum with the waist-neck thing....

BTW, OIS is administered through out the year in certain dates.... most medical types do it in the summer before they start medical school or the summer after first year...

Hope those sites help, good luck

I guess I need to start my diet now for new year :rolleyes:

They also go by bodyfat %. I wouldnt worry about it you will be OK.

Originally posted by apple638:
•I guess I need to start my diet now for new year :rolleyes:

There is a body fat% table that they use.... if during your processing, you don't pass the weight vs. height requirement then they'll send you to a JAG officer and double check your waist - neck size and then look it up in their charts....

There's also physical feats you need to do such as dead man's float for 5 minutes and running/jogging 1.5 miles....These physical feats you have to pass during OIS, but I heard they'll whoop you up in shape for it :D

Good luck, start out slow and don't just cut down on what you eat.... do some running and jogging to get started on the training for the run.... Best wishes....

To Dreamer:
I received your private message. Are you licensed to practice in the United States? If so you are eligable to join the USN. Talk to a recruiter. After serving as a General Medical Officer you can qualify for a military residency.
Pikeville does not offer an excellerated program for IMG's

is the HPSP scholarship the one where the government pays for everything, gives you a stipen, then you owe them so many years afterwards?
we have a family friend who did that, but for some reason i think it is somewhat different... she just had to work at the local indian clinic and heath department for a few years... she did not have to go to basic, or travel working in army hospitals. she refered to it as "the forgotten corps". she had to wear a uniform to work (except when she was pregnant) also. there was also a pharmasist where she worked who had to wear a the uniform also.

deidra

The HPSP is a scholarship program for the military. You become an officer and serve in various billets. You go to war and that sort of thing. I think you are talking about
the national health service corps which is similar. You incur a debt of service for some type of repayment or subsistence.