Anyone else get the HPSP Scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by deidra:
•is the HPSP scholarship the one where the government pays for everything, gives you a stipen, then you owe them so many years afterwards?
we have a family friend who did that, but for some reason i think it is somewhat different... she just had to work at the local indian clinic and heath department for a few years... she did not have to go to basic, or travel working in army hospitals. she refered to it as "the forgotten corps". she had to wear a uniform to work (except when she was pregnant) also. there was also a pharmasist where she worked who had to wear a the uniform also.

deidra•

You're family friend was probably doing NHSC (National Health Scholarship Program) or the IHS (Indian Health Service).... both of which pays for your school tuition and other reasonable cost as well as give you a stipend of $900-1000....

For the NHSC and IHS you get the option to go into PHS (Public Health Service) Corp which you basically wear a "uniform" similar to the armed forces ones.... Many armed forces men and women can also opt of the Public Health Service Corp....

HPSP (Health Professiona Scholarship Program) for the armed forces (Navy, Air Force, Army).

Big difference between the two....

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone:

I realize the posts on this topic may have moved to other matters. But, I would like to announce that, as of yesterday, I was accepted for the Navy 4-yr. HPSP.

I'll be attending school at the Medical College of Wisconsin. But, since I was so late in receiving my scholarship, I will not be able to attend Navy Officer Indoctrination School until after finishing my M-1 year; the OIS training for me will be in June 2002.

Say, if anyone else is going Navy HPSP and are going to be M-1's this year, I would love to hear from you and swap advice/stories/etc. Actually, if anyone has any advice about being a Navy doc or about surviving Navy OIS, please contact me as well.

You can reach me at: [email protected]

I hope to hear from you folks soon.

To everyone else trying to get the HPSP, good luck!

misfit

Congratulations Misfit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Apple638!

I feel really good about this. I also wanted to thank Dr. A-OPTIC/NAVY D.O. for his help as well.

I think that osteopathic students and HPSP students could get some great information from this gentleman.

Thanks again. I am still looking to hear from other HPSP students. Feel free to e-mail me. Take care.

misfit
:)

If you want some other good HPSP info, look in the residency forum under "Matching after HPSP repayment time"

As a former Navy Flight Surgeon with two tours of duty with the Marines (Harriers/Prowlers), I'd be glad to answer any questions. The good Captain, no doubt, has the answers to most every question you can think of, however, I may be able to lend a second opinion on some issues. I had a very positive experience and it no doubt helped me get the residency of my choice. Fire away.

Okay I am getting pretty upset with the Navy right now. I have been professionally recommended for HPSP scholarship, but I do not meet the physical standards section because I had allergies to cats as a kid. I had to get a pulmonary consult and take a test proving I could breathe and I had peak flow and total lung volume 120% of the expected for my age.
So this test was sent to the final review board and they still turned me down because I had asthma as a kid....not even a current condition.
It sucks because I am a triathlete and was even an exercise science major in undergrad and I know that my fitness and health levels are better than 99% of new officer candidates, but I am getting turned down because I was allergic to cats as a child!!! Where is the justice in this. Is this how the military operates regularly? Any advice?

that's interesting because i also have allergies to cats, but never had asthma. the Army and Air Force didn't look twice over those conditions. although i did have a waiver for my poor eyesight.

is it possible to forward a waiver and a written statement? it's hard to believe that the Navy is willing to turn down a candidate for an HPSP due to a childhood condition.

i eventually chose Army over Air Force.

best of luck, hope the Navy would reconsider.
~j

I think it's the asthma that got you turned down.... The Navy folks told me that it can reoccur and they've lost some recruits due to asthma reoccuring during training.... Thought I'd share that....

They told me since the beginning of the whole app process that you can "try" and get a waiver but you're chances of approval is almost none.... I think the reason is there are other applicants out there with no such history.... There are so many applicants for HPSP every year that I'm sure the head honchos don't have a qualm above turning down someone....

Thus some people have lied on their physical regarding asthma.... which if found can result in severe consequences.

Sounds unfair though, but that's the way the military works these days.....

Marinedoc2, I sent you a private message.Big Bill

MarineDoc2:

I do not know your e-mail address. However, please feel free to e-mail me personally at: [email protected]

I am very interested in the Navy Flight Surgeon program and doing a Marine Air Wing tour or a carrier tour. Then, I would like (if I'm still interested after med school) to do an Emergency Medicine residency. Please give me your input/experiences. Thanks.

misfit

Just how competitive is the HPSP scholarship? Are three year scholarships much less common than four year scholarships?

Thanks.

From what I understand, it's relatively competitive because there are much more applicants than scholarship given every year.

Hey does anyone know if the monthly stipend of $1058 is pre or post-tax dollars? If it's pre, then I'm gonna need a student loan afterall, because $700/mo won't cut it in Philly. Also, the OIS next year for the USN is only 4 weeks (whoo hoo), so we might get a summer afterall, a la those Air Force guys.

The stipend is currently not taxed, from what I understand.

Uh, scratch that, thanks Bustinbooty.

My last Army stipend (6-1-01)(I went on active duty for thee next 45 days) was a bi-monthly gross of $510. They deducted $20.70 in federal taxes, and I claim 0 exemptions so that they remove the maximum amount. There was recently a military pay raise that went into effect July 1st, but I am not sure if HPSP is included in that raise.

M4
CCOM

BigBill,
Did not get your message. Would you mind trying again? Misfit, I will email you. MD2

Marinedoc2, I just resent the private message for you. If you still dont get Can you send me a private message with your e-mail. I know that mine works. Thanks