Anyone else going to have a year between grad and starting med school ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetpancakes

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to have a free year. I bet I am not the only one. I am thinking about doing a one year masters program in organic chem because I love organic and the program is only one year long. If I could find a one year masters in biochem I would do that instead since it relates more closely to medical school but I dont know of any. What are you other tweeners going to do with your free year ?

Members don't see this ad.

i will be starting med school this august, but have had the entire last year free, i wouldnt recommend a MS program, take that year to enjoy yourself, i went to europe for 2 months, supported myself by acting as a TA for 8 months where i only had to work 2 days a week and lived on the beach during the entire time, when i had enough money i quit and have been camping, climbing, mtn biking, and doing whatever the hell i want for the past few months, i really have loved the past year and now that school is closer i am not burnt out and am actually really excited to start studying and getting into the swing of things, i totally recommend a year off, if not for fun, for sanity and life experience

hey lobster, were you working as a TA in europe??

Members don't see this ad :)
I took most of my last year off. I quit my hospital job just days before I found out I was accepted. I started working for a family business where I travel for a few weeks and then get a few weeks off. I have done everything I could to enjoy myself. Don't go back to school unless it will give you some large advantage for your future. I thought about a year long MPH, and then I was asked how it would help me in my future. When I couldn't give an answer, I was told that I could always get the MPH later in life if I needed it. GO HAVE FUN!!!! You probably won't ever again get the chance to say you bumbed around for a whole year!

I'll be working at a lab doing pre-clinical tests on pharmaceuticals and biological instruments while living near my brother and his family and hopefully doing a fair bit of climbing.

I got a job, rented a sick place with some college buddies, bought some fun toys, and basically just partied like a rock star for a year. :cool:

For my year off I'm working in a cardiothoracic ICU as an RN. It'll be great to have a good paying job!

I'm going to have a year off. I'm about to start as a medical receptionist for an eye-care clinic (HMO) for the year. Just need something to pay the bills...

I also will have a year before i hopefully start med school ( applying this june), I have secured a job teaching high school chemistry for a year. Something i've always wanted to do, it should be fun. Good chance to be a positive influence on some young lives who may have piece of crap parents.

I'm going to work in a lab for a while to make money to pay the bills and hopefully just chill out and enjoy myself before I have my brain bleed out of my ears once med school begins.

sweetpancakes said:
I am going to have a free year. I bet I am not the only one. I am thinking about doing a one year masters program in organic chem because I love organic and the program is only one year long. If I could find a one year masters in biochem I would do that instead since it relates more closely to medical school but I dont know of any. What are you other tweeners going to do with your free year ?

I plan on doing absolutely nothing medicine or science related. I'm either going into Americorps or Habitat, while at the same time, as lame as it sounds, write a novel. I've had a story in my head for about 4 years that I finally will have time to pen.

oh man someone who loves orgo seems hard to come by on these forums. usually all i see is hate toward it. either most despise it or those who enjoy it keep it down. keep on crackin'.

my advice: stay active, whether it be volunteering or studying like you're thinking. if you have the money and desire, go ahead and continuing studying. a lot of people would discourage this and tell you to enjoy the time before h-e-l-l. :D

This past year was my glide year and I got to do a little bit of everything. Traveled to Africa, completed my research, perfected my Spanish-speaking skills...it's been a beautiful year. More importantly, it's made me feel extremely refreshed and ready to jump back into studying. As a previous poster said, you can get your master's at any time. Use this opportunity to enjoy yourself! :thumbup:

sweetpancakes said:

You're definitely not the only one! I've had 3 yrs off... a little more than I would've liked. But I've used it to get some great clinical experience. That's a good option, if you can do it.

sorry to be off-topic, but maybe a bit of explanation will help me understand the logistics of SDN better. i was about to respond to the OP's question, but I saw he/she got banned for trolling. what exactly was wrong about what was posted? i'm confused.

Duchess742 said:
sorry to be off-topic, but maybe a bit of explanation will help me understand the logistics of SDN better. i was about to respond to the OP's question, but I saw he/she got banned for trolling. what exactly was wrong about what was posted? i'm confused.

I plan on taking a year off.

Duchess742 said:
If you click on their screen name, there will be an option to "see more posts by so-and-so". This thread is fine, so maybe they did something in a different thread to piss people off. Also, sometimes mods delete offending posts so it's not always obvious what got someone banned. My guess in this case is it was a duplicate user account of someone who already was banned in the past.

sweetpancakes said:

Can you give me info on the 1 year Masters program in Ochem. Sounds interesting.

sorry...kinda new here, what is trolling?

instigata said:
sorry...kinda new here, what is trolling?
Basically, it means starting trouble on these forums, picking fights, insulting others, etc.

You know, being an instigata. ;)

NapeSpikes said:
Basically, it means starting trouble on these forums, picking fights, insulting others, etc.

You know, being an instigata. ;)

:laugh: ahhhhhh it should just be called "instigating" :thumbup: