Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Anyone else graduating without delivering a baby?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Pittiful, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Pittiful

Hard to believe, I know but its probably related to lawsuits and Ob/Gyn malpractice.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. subway5c

4. jdh71

jdh71 epiphany at nine thousand six hundred feet
    Physician

Attending Physician
    you saw one right? Why the f*** would you want to be involved in one?

5. JohnnyOU

JohnnyOU Slow like Honey

Medical Student
    :laugh: :thumbup:

6. Discobolus

Discobolus Dutch-American

I've seen several, but was never the primary person delivering, and this future internist has absolutely no problem with that whatsoever. That attitude probably accounts for my bad evaluations on Ob/Gyn!

More concerning for me is how I got through med school without even seeing a single lumbar puncture. Not really sure how that one happened. I've seen and done a lot of other more complicated procedures, but never an LP.

7. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!

u pitt doesn't want med students to deliver?

8. shantster

shantster Eye protection!

Resident [Any Field]
    That seems so odd after the second look weekend of them stressing how good their clinical teaching is.

9. dilated

dilated Fought Law; Law Won

I'm sure it's not a med school policy but rather a product of what hospital you choose to do your rotation in. To pick an extreme example, if you go to Emory and do OB at Grady you'll probably be hip deep in babies and if you do it at Emory hospital you'll probably be like that cartoon where the med student is sent to the corner. :p

10. Tired

Tired Fading away

I was supposed to do one, but just kept saying, "That's okay, I'm fine just watching."

I wonder why I didn't honor? :laugh:

11. toofache32

Resident [Any Field]
    I never delivered one. There was some away-rotator chick on my team that loved doing it, so I let her have all of it....worked out great for both of us.

12. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Where are you supposed to deliver the baby to?

13. naegleria brain

back to where they came from! and i go to school in philly, and ive yet to hear of someone not delivering a baby. and philly is the ****hole of hell where lawyers come to breed off whatever purity is left in medicine in the area

14. Tired

Tired Fading away

Well, where I rotated, it was usually to a lifetime of neglect and a bare matress in a crack house.

I suppose others' experiences may vary.

15. GuzzyRon

GuzzyRon Son of the Son of Man

Resident [Any Field]
    With the pummelling of OB-GYN by med-mal lawyers everywhere and from every angle coupled with the insanely high malpractice insurance, why any sane MD would make the conscious decision to go into this specialty is beyond me. :confused: :rolleyes:

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Scuttlebutt was that it was supposedly more competative this year than previous cycles.

Isn't Philadelphia near Bethlehem? Maybe they should refer laboring women to a nearby manger.

18. primadonna22274

primadonna22274 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I didn't get to either, but as a PA student I didn't really expect to (although a few PA students before me on the same rotation delivered plenty....)
    I figure it's because I was on rotation with a first-year resident and she got all the good stuff. Mostly I watched and screwed up my nose at the yucky sights and smells.

19. NEXUS 5

Attending Physician
    Ah ha, I appreciate the point you are trying to make, but the scenario you proposed will never happen. Emory hospital doesn't have an OB service; all medical students must rotation through the labor & delivery at Grady. Students may do their Gyn rotation at either site, though.

20. pillowhead

pillowhead Senior Member

I hated my ob/gyn rotation but I'm still glad I delivered a few babies. No matter how exhausted you are and how much you hate the resident watching over your shoulder and how gross it can be, you're still helping mom to bring a new human being into this world. Especially if you've managed to make any kind of connection with mom, it can be a really profound experience. Considering you'll never ever do it again if you're not in ob, I think it's really sad anyone can graduate medical school without delivering a baby. It's also just an extremely common thing that happens all the time and as a physician, it just seems like one of those few things that everyone should have at least minimal experience with (like suturing if you're going to be a radiologist or talking to a psychotic patient if you're going to be a surgeon).

My sister just gave birth yesterday and I'm was very happy to have delivered a few in the past because I think it helped me reassure her with her own delivery.

21. GuzzyRon

GuzzyRon Son of the Son of Man

Resident [Any Field]
    But Emory has an OB service at Crawford Long.

22. dpmd

dpmd Relaxing
    Physician

Attending Physician
    At my school it isn't unusual to not get a delivery. The problem is that we rotate at the county women's and children's hospital for obgyn. Since all the low income women can get medi-cal for their pregnancy and delivery, they have no reason to deliver there when they can go to one of the many private hospitals that will give them a stroller, diapers, car seat, and tons of other goodies. The only ones that are left are the high risk pregnancies that get referred back to us. On a given overnight you may have three to seven laboring women, a couple of which may have to go for C/S, a couple of which won't deliver by the time you leave, and only one or two deliveries. If there are three students on an overnight together (which is typical) they try to split up the deliveries, but sometimes there just aren't enough to go around. I did the ob part of my rotation in a condensed manner when no other students were around (due to being off track after my army deployment). I basically kept the same schedule my residents did with q3 call. I delivered every baby (the vaginal deliveries anyway) while we were there for the two weeks of my rotation. Total=8 and 4 were C/S.

23. indiamacbean

indiamacbean Senior Member

As a graduating Pitt student I just wanted to chime in and say that both my wife and I delivered our share of babies. All our OB rotations are at the same hospital (Magee). I didn't really like OB so I worked less hard to get a chance to deliver while my wife was super into OB so she delivered a ton of babies. To some extent I guess it is luck, your schedule and your interest.

24. lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh, I hope I get to deliver a few. I'm afraid I'll cry each time I see a baby born though.... (I cry everytime I see one born on TV, the first cry gets me every time)

25. dpmd

dpmd Relaxing
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Just make sure you get a good hold on the little sucker when it comes out. I was warned about this, and even used the C clamp method of grabbing the suckers neck when I caught my first one, and still nearly dropped it :eek: . They are slippery as hell, squirmy, and come out fairly quick.

26. Mayhem

Mayhem Scut Bear

Resident [Any Field]
    Delivering a baby is one of our required skills for ObGyn, so we have to do a minimum of 5 just to pass the rotation. I appreciate that all med students should be exposed to these things but if it wasn't a requirement I probably wouldn't do more than one...just to say I did it once. I mean unless hell freezes over and I do ObGyn then my only participation in the birthing process will be calling the ambulance.

27. pillowhead

pillowhead Senior Member

Yeah but it's a nicer hospital. Med students don't do OB there, only gyn.

28. toofache32

Resident [Any Field]
    ...and they all ride into this world on a turd.

29. NEXUS 5

Attending Physician
    As pillowhead says, Emory med students do not do labor & delivery at Crawford Long; antepartum care can be done there though. Also, Crawford Long is a rotation site for many DO and international visiting students. I cannot say for sure whether or not they rotate through the labor and delivery service at Crawford.