Anyone else hate obnoxious, nosy people that act like they know everything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nightowl

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love it when people that have no idea how much you're studying, what your life is like, nothing, feel the need to impose their opinion on you and then tell you all the ways that they're better than you... Like, well, my score went up this much and I'm doing this and what the hell are you doing? Because obviously you're not mastering the stuff like I am since I'm god and you're just a minute speck under my fingernail. Today I was about ten seconds away to telling this person to just f off and I never would have expected condesension from him. I swear, the MCAT really does turn normally cool people into sh*theads. I hope that at some point people lay off of the competition, I-know-everything persona because I really can't deal with this very much longer. :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

nightowl said:
I love it when people that have no idea how much you're studying, what your life is like, nothing, feel the need to impose their opinion on you and then tell you all the ways that they're better than you... Like, well, my score went up this much and I'm doing this and what the hell are you doing? Because obviously you're not mastering the stuff like I am since I'm god and you're just a minute speck under my fingernail. Today I was about ten seconds away to telling this person to just f off and I never would have expected condesension from him. I swear, the MCAT really does turn normally cool people into sh*theads. I hope that at some point people lay off of the competition, I-know-everything persona because I really can't deal with this very much longer. :mad:

Yeah those people sure can fuel the fire sometimes...but when I see people like this I just can't help but laugh. Sure they might be preparing...but usually the reason they have to announce it to the entire world is to make up for something else they probably suck at.

I think everything's a balance...and where one person is good, another may suck, but have their own specialty that may or may not pertain/help in the situation in which you interact with that "genius" person. This has happened to me quite a few times and it's good to remind yourself that though you may not be blessed with their "test prep" genius, you'd probably rock them in something/everything else.

With that in mind, its good to tell yourself "I have to work harder to beat this person because I'm not as naturally adept at them in this certain scenario." --> and then just go do it while not starting any conflict.

Plus I think the people who work harder for their results usually reap the greater overall benefit than any genius who is predisposed to such a skill...they've never had to work as hard for anything --> It builds your character

/philosophy

I'm stupid ;0

nightowl said:
I hope that at some point people lay off of the competition, I-know-everything persona because I really can't deal with this very much longer. :mad:

Honestly, Nightowl, its only downhill from here. The competition increases every step of the way. You think getting into medical school is tough? Try getting a residency in Dermatology or Opthamology. The competition isnt going to stop for many, many years.

i know what you mean, OP. you've just gotta look past their hype, because they're trying to psyche you out. the challenge of the MCAT is also mental, and you've got to hole up and block everybody out.

i completely separate myself from other people who are taking it, save for my kaplan class and another study buddy session once a week with a person who isn't cocky. other than that, pretend you're the only person in the world taking it and smile to yourself when pr!cks try to tell you how they think it really is.

Members don't see this ad :)
or, you can just calmly lie.

"You only got a 34 on your last diagnostic? what a shame! I got a 39."

and then walk away.

I think it's very possible to remain humble and still be competitive without having to blab it out to other people...

We are all fallible human beings. I think part of the problem is we feel that we work so hard to know what we know. Following that thought, some people feel that since they know more than the average Joe about science that they are entitled to a power trip. Along with that comes the desire and need to prove to everyone that they are the expert on everything.

I agree, the competitiveness will never stop in our profession. What can make things easier, however, is us all doing our part to be humble and respect our peers as well as our competition.

I'll give an example of a pre-med student in my physiology class that wouldn't help me out with a question because it would "bring up the curve". He was really rude about the whole thing and I was blown away..

Whatever you do in life is up to you. Just remember that We aren't GOD and we dont need to prove to everyone that we are better than someone else.

>> Can you tell I'm a little upset about the attitudes of some of the pre-med students I have come across? What's worse is it is many of these people that actually get INTO medical school.

I'm an obnoxious, nosy person that acts like I know everything. Sucks to know me!

I'm a grad student and Kaplan instructor who teaches pre-meds, and I don't think most of them view me as their competition since I'm not taking classes with them as a fellow student. While they were curious about my MCAT score (human nature, right?), no one was ever obnoxious to me about how well they did on the MCAT. If anything, some of my students felt uncomfortable about telling me what their scores were. So I'm insulated from a lot of the BS that some of you guys seem to be going through. Maybe that won't last once I get to medical school, but I'm hoping for better.

I guess the biggest thing to keep in mind is that no matter how smart you are, there are people out there who are smarter. So don't worry about the braggers, Nightowl, because they will meet their match eventually. The higher people fly, the farther they will fall when that time comes.

Whenever someone acts like that, it's usually a sign of their own insecurities. When I encounter unhappy people that tend to become kind of angry or malicious, I actually kind of feel sorry for them (KIND OF). Because, it's obvious that something is off balance in their life, and they are having some difficulties dealing with it. You just need to see through it.

Do you think someone that is secure, and confident, would go around asking their classmates "how much have you improved?"; "I improved 10 points already, you?".

Ofcourse not. In your regular classes, how many times have the people with the #1,2, or 3 scores on an exam (they KNOW where their at), actually gone around saying "So, what did you get on the exam?" (knowing full well, the reciprocal question is inevitable). "I got a 90%, how about you?" "Oh, I got the only 100% in the class".
This just doesnt' happen. And if it does, that persons got some serious issues!! LOL

nightowl said:
Today I was about ten seconds away to telling this person to just f off and I never would have expected condesension from him. I swear, the MCAT really does turn normally cool people into sh*theads. I hope that at some point people lay off of the competition, I-know-everything persona because I really can't deal with this very much longer. :mad:

Very interesting point. I read an interesting article form World Economic Forum, Davos, and it said people in Bangladesh are the happiest people in the world. In the U.S, with all the money and technology, only 18% of people are happy. The reason is that people compare their lives with others to measure their happiness. If you have two bedroom house, and your neighbor has three, then you are miserable even if your two bedroom house is more than enough for your need. I think it is the same thing. Only by comparing ourselves with others, we define our existence, we measure our self worth.
That is why we rank things, and we premeds are obsessed with USNEWs ranking.

Human beings are very useless in that sense,
you should try to have a bigger heart and smile at him and say conglatulations for your improvement and move on.

Do not try to engage in the same game.

Yeah whenever I travel back to pakistan(pretty much the equivalent of bangladesh) I can say I usually end up meeting some of the friendliest people I've ever encountered. I always come back to the US complaining about how crabby ppl here are haha. You can really feel the difference.