Anyone else have a "Haha...just kidding" fear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rager1

Anatomy-be-gone
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided where I'm going and have withdrawn from the other schools I was considering . Now I have this irrational fear that I'm going to be screwed over with somebody's idea of a practical joke..."haha...did you really think we admitted you"

it's like that dream that most people have about forgetting about a class until finals week...

Anyone else feel this way? C'mon people, share your fears! lol

Members don't see this ad.

You probably just scared a lot of people who had never thought about this.

Yes, I have the same fear. It sucks. Completely irrational yet it tortures me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well.. when I found out that I was accepted, I had to come home and physically see the letter for proof that it wasn't some cruel joke that someone was trying to play on me. I was out of town, and although I knoew that my roommate wouldn't do something like that, I still had to see it for myself. I constantly want to call schools to verify that I am still on the list of accepted students, but I think I've quelled that urge (although I need to make a call today). ;)

rager1 said:
I have decided where I'm going and have withdrawn from the other schools I was considering . Now I have this irrational fear that I'm going to be screwed over with somebody's idea of a practical joke..."haha...did you really think we admitted you"

it's like that dream that most people have about forgetting about a class until finals week...

As a matter of fact, I have this fear that some act of God (earthquake, meteor, etc) is going to destroy UCSD and I won't have a med school to go to in the fall. I think it kept me from withdrawing my other acceptance earlier than I did.

...or a fear that finaid office will say "we're sorry, but you don't qualify for federal or private loans. please try again next year..."

Alexander99 said:
As a matter of fact, I have this fear that some act of God (earthquake, meteor, etc) is going to destroy UCSD and I won't have a med school to go to in the fall. I think it kept me from withdrawing my other acceptance earlier than I did.

You just made me more paranoid...this hadn't occurred to me...

...so I guess you won't be watching "10.5" this sunday lol :p

I totally understand your fear.

I have this recurring dream. I'm sitting at this big banquet table, and all the victims of all the murders I've ever worked are sitting at this table, and they're staring at me with these black eyeballs, because they got eight ball hemorrhages from the head wounds. And, there they are, these big balloon people, because I found them two weeks after they'd been under the bed. The neighbors reported the smell. And there they are, all of them just sitting there.

No talk. They don't have anything to say. They just look at each other. They look at me. And, that's it, that's the dream.

--Vinoy

vinoyp said:
I totally understand your fear.

I have this recurring dream. I'm sitting at this big banquet table, and all the victims of all the murders I've ever worked are sitting at this table, and they're staring at me with these black eyeballs, because they got eight ball hemorrhages from the head wounds. And, there they are, these big balloon people, because I found them two weeks after they'd been under the bed. The neighbors reported the smell. And there they are, all of them just sitting there.

No talk. They don't have anything to say. They just look at each other. They look at me. And, that's it, that's the dream.

--Vinoy
You killed Kenny!
You bastard!!!

Alexander99 said:
I'm actually fearing the same for UCLA, but I'm thinking more along the line of a big fire. Many years ago there was a best-selling book called Bible Code, and the author predicted devastating fire at L.A. in the year 2004. Although many people have since discredited the credibility of the work in that book, the image still got stuck in my head :scared:

I've had a few paranoid moments where I'd wonder where I'd go next year if some act of terrorism strikes LA, especially downtown LA and the whole city is wiped out. Students at USC and UCLA would have to be split up and send to other medschools in the fall, right? ;) It would be tragic if we all had to "defer"...

Dang, and I thought it was only me. Not only do I have the med school acceptance paranoia, but I have the college graduation paranoia. I keep thinking I'm gonna miss some crucial paperwork and not get my degree.

rager1 said:

I had a friend get admitted to a small liberal arts college (that shall remain nameless) who wrote her a letter in August before school started that they got her mixed up wtih someone else of the same name! They didn't rescind the acceptance, though. They just put her on academic probation for the first year. She ended up doing fine there and graduated and everything. So, although this is not a baseless fear, I don't think any school would totally screw you.