1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Anyone else have a Moped/Scooter, and get stupid tickets

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by justskipee, Dec 2, 2005.

1. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

A month ago I got a ticket for riding with a passenger on my moped, 170$ ticket. I guess its illegal in WI, "officer, I had no idea." Anyways, I appealled it and the pre-trial conference guy dismissed the ticket. WOO HOO.

Anyone else use a moped/scooter to get around their campus, or city?

Wherever I go to medical school, I'm definitely gonna bring mine with.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. unfrozencaveman

unfrozencaveman not a dude
    7+ Year Member

I got a parking ticket for parking between two parked cars. I was infuriated. People should be given medals for driving vespas and relieving conjestion (on a freaking island!) and reducing pollution.

4. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

What kinda vespa? In madison, there are so many mopeds that there is a moped polic squad, and there are designated moped parking areas and parking entrance ramps. I've gotten 3 parking tickets, appealed all of them, and they all were dismissed. Always fight back, the world is full of idiots.

5. unfrozencaveman

7+ Year Member

It's an ET2. Madison Wisconsin? I take it it doesnt get much use in the winter?

6. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't blame the cops. They just enforce the laws.. they don't make 'em. And yes, they can and do get in trouble for not enforcing laws. Especially when people call and complain about lack of enforcement with parking and traffic laws.

And I think folks on mopeds and vespas should have designated parking areas. parking between two cars? Hmmm... depends. I think if your moped gets damaged, it's your fault, and definitely don't block car doors. On the other hand, I think people that park so close to another car that you can't get in to your own car should get a ticket, too. (sidenote: when I was on crutches with a broken ankle, I had people park so close to my car on both sides I had to climb onto the roof of my car with crutches in hand and crawl in through the window. I was PISSED.)

7. unfrozencaveman

7+ Year Member

Yes. One would not mistake me for a renegade lawbreaking hellraiser as I scoot around on a mint green vespa with matching helmet. Why that doesnt strike fear in the hearts of everyone, everywhere, I will never know.
    It's general practice to park between cars as in, between the front and back bumper of parallel parked cars. Having separate scooter parking (although there are a few places that have it in south beach), eliminates parking for cars, which is what they really need.
    They need it because in Florida, parallel spots are about 80 feet long, because no one can drive, let alone park. In the immortal words of Cher from clueless, "What's the point? Everywhere you go has valet".

8. frostynorthwind

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    2003 Black Honda Elite 80cc... opted not to get the Vespa due to cost and the speed. The Honda's 45 mph maximum speed makes for a convenient and extremely efficient ride at an average fuel economy of more than 80 mpg for in-city driving. Granted, riding it in the winter is freezing and a bit treacherous when there is ice, but it certainly beats walking. :D Still, I admit to occasionally eying other vespas with reverence... vespa/ piaggio/ lambretta... the epitome of sleek retro mopeds!

Where are you going to med school, justskipee? I don't think i'll be taking mine with me to med school because the city I am going to live in next year has an excellent public transportation system, and parking it inner-city might be more trouble than its worth...

9. unfrozencaveman

7+ Year Member

Actually, my dad lives in Chicago, and drives a scooter around everywhere. Parking sucks (cars), and the transport can get annoying.

But, there is also nothing like driving one around in 20 degree weather when the wind is blowing 30 mph...

10. unfrozencaveman

7+ Year Member

But, does anyone know how you move one anyway?

11. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm not in yet, but I've got a good feeling after interviewing at U of MN. THere is snow on the ground and its below freezing in Madison, but I still use mine. The roads are clear, except some icy spots, I wear a full face motorcycle helmet to be safe. My favorite is to park in parking ramps where they have bike racks, keeps the moped warm and doesn't cost anything.

I have an Aprilia SR50 ditech - Italian made
    [​IMG]
    http://www.beaudrymotorsports.com/images/apr/apr_sr_50_ditech.jpg

My top comfortable speed is 55mph, I had fun and put on a new muffler and roller weights. Once a cop pulled me over for speeding, but just gave me a warning, its funny looking back on it (he was a motorcycle cop too).