Anyone else have conferences/travel plans/funding cancelled?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MassABA just cancelled for early May. BCBA has cancelled some test administrations. I can’t imagine ABAI really thinks the conference will happen. I think they might be waiting for the decision to be taken out of their hands, or at least to develop a more solid plan for what to do about all the missed CEUs. I’m certainly not going register and make travel plans (even if I was just going to drive).
Looks like ABAI finally caved and moved the conference online. Convention Home - Association for Behavior Analysis International

Also, over $900 per person registration for three days of online conference? Glad to see that they are still able to price-gouge, jeez.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I saw that. I’m not going to register. Company reimbursement is up in the air at this point, so I’m not taking that risk.
Yeah, and there are much cheaper options for live online CEUs from just as good as presenters. Plus, I'm fully expecting this will be a technology mess from ABAI's end.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if people will want to attend an online conference. One of the reasons to go to a conference is to get away and to socialize. Remotely that wont happen and the talks/CEs/whatever else is probably less attractive.

Reactions: 3 users
What are people’s thoughts about whether or not APA’s conference in August will happen, especially in person?
I bet it will. Maybe with some careful physical manipulations to prevent people bunching together.

The only thing is I am very poor at prognosticating.

Similarly, was anyone planning on going to AAIC (late July)? Wondering if they will cancel.

What are people’s thoughts about whether or not APA’s conference in August will happen, especially in person?

I'd say coin flip. I'd have to imagine we will see some more peaks and outbreaks as this goes on, with some vacillations in easing and tightening of restrictions in response.

I think the contract indicates that there are a few weeks left until they are unable cancel.

My bet is on canceling and some webinars.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how many people are going to renew memberships and pay convention fee for some webinars.

I'd imagine that the yearly membership stays the same, but that registration for virtual conference changes based on CEs given. We did a similar thing with our state conference.

I think the contract indicates that there are a few weeks left until they are unable cancel.

My bet is on canceling and some webinars.

They've delayed registration until May 15, so that tracks.

I also predict that they're going to try for a scaled-down virtual convention, which already sounds dreadful.

Reactions: 1 users
They've delayed registration until May 15, so that tracks.

I also predict that they're going to try for a scaled-down virtual convention, which already sounds dreadful.
ABAI is trying for a not-at-all-scaled-down virtual conference (with not-at-all-scaled down prices), and I seriously doubt they can pull it off. AERA (a similarly massive education research conference) was going to try a virtual conference after they canceled their in-person one, but then just said "nope, this is too hard. See you all next year."

ABAI is trying for a not-at-all-scaled-down virtual conference (with not-at-all-scaled down prices), and I seriously doubt they can pull it off. AERA (a similarly massive education research conference) was going to try a virtual conference after they canceled their in-person one, but then just said "nope, this is too hard. See you all next year."

The one day virtual conference was not that hard to set up. It's upcoming, but so far so good. We have been working on infrastructure to develop a digital CE library for our state association, though, so we had a little bit of a head start.

Hoooooooooly hell! This is gonna destroy writing off vacations that happen near CME/CE locations.

Hoooooooooly hell! This is gonna destroy writing off vacations that happen near CME/CE locations.

Yeah, I'm going to have a hard time spending my CME bank this year. Hopefully we're closer to back to normal next year so I can write those off on my business taxes come 2021 tax time.

The one day virtual conference was not that hard to set up. It's upcoming, but so far so good. We have been working on infrastructure to develop a digital CE library for our state association, though, so we had a little bit of a head start.
Yeah, one day sounds doable. Three days with 10-20 concurrent sessions happening at any one time sounds much trickier.

Yeah, I'm going to have a hard time spending my CME bank this year. Hopefully we're closer to back to normal next year so I can write those off on my business taxes come 2021 tax time.
Are you still going to have CME funds? The (high ranked & usually financially quite stable) university my spouse works for just canceled all of those in the face of crushing financial losses projected through next year.

Yeah, one day sounds doable. Three days with 10-20 concurrent sessions happening at any one time sounds much trickier.

Yeah, no way we'd try to run our full conference.

Are you still going to have CME funds? The (high ranked & usually financially quite stable) university my spouse works for just canceled all of those in the face of crushing financial losses projected through next year.

So far we do. They did cut the employer contribution percentage to my 403b, though. So far that's the only financial hit I've taken.

Has anyone heard anything regarding the AACN conference? We have until the end of this week to get a refund on registration and I'm not quite sure what to do.

Has anyone heard anything regarding the AACN conference? We have until the end of this week to get a refund on registration and I'm not quite sure what to do.

I'm guessing you've already received a similar email, but I just got notice that AACN is canceled this year, with no plans to reschedule. Refund requests due in by 05/30.

Hi everyone-following up on this discussion..if my name was on a poster that was accepted at a conference in the spring but ultimately not presented because the conference was canceled, am I allowed to a) list this on my APPIC application as a poster presentation and b) list it on my CV? Thank you!

Hi everyone-following up on this discussion..if my name was on a poster that was accepted at a conference in the spring but ultimately not presented because the conference was canceled, am I allowed to a) list this on my APPIC application as a poster presentation and b) list it on my CV? Thank you!
I don't know about appic rules, but for my CV, my institution directed me to list it and indicate that the conference was cancelled.

Reactions: 1 users
Now I am wondering when we will see an in-person conference. At this point, it looks like anything in early 2021 will not happen either. Then we are getting into conferences that have already been canceled in-person. I wonder what APS and the APA have learned about the experience and how that will affect their decision in 2021.

I also understand that due to multiyear contracts many of the organizations cannot legally say too much until they are closer to their conference date. But it looks like APS will be the first major psychology conference that will have to make a decision in 2021.

Two of my posters were not presented due to cancelled conferences. I found this information helpful about how to cite them on CVs How to create an APA Style reference for a canceled conference presentation

Reactions: 2 users
But it looks like APS will be the first major psychology conference that will have to make a decision in 2021.
Looks like APS 2021 is going virtual. I imagine that the dominoes will fall for the rest of the major conferences through the summer of 2021.