Anyone else have unrelealistic expectations on where they want to go to school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jfz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like, location wise.

For some reason I hold onto the hope that I'll get to go to school somewhere near NYC because I love the city, even though I know it's stupid to expect it

So, where do you guys wanna go to school?

Members don't see this ad.

would love to be in boston. too bad the three schools are tufts bu and harvard.

Im basically apply to my 3 state schools, and then the top 17 schools=My goal 20 total applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
boston and NYC would be awesome.

very wishful thinking on my part, so I know exactly where youre coming from

Got to stay in California, if not, Texas or NY.

There are some schools I really think I would love going to. Brown and Baylor come to mind. Also Duke and a few others. If this semester gets any worse, I may have killed my chances. (going from a 4.0 all last year and an overall 3.95 over 4 semesters + 2 summers to a cum <3.9? ouch) Unrealistic? We'll see. Hopefully the MCAT keeps the doors open.

I really want to go to University of Louisville. I was born there, I have a lot of family and friends there, I love the city and the state and would probably end up staying there my entire career if possible. I have their average stats, hoping the MCAT goes well in January.

I'm from Illinois so I just applied to state schools--I would love to end up in Chicago....

I'm with you. I def want to go to Boston. We'll see what happens. Chicago and NYC sound good as well, although I've never been to Chicago..I've always pictured myself there or in Boston :s haha who knows.

I grew up in Los Angeles and have lived here all my life (actually I live in Orange County now but I'm embarrassed about that) and I want to get out of here. Yet, everyone wants to come here. I'll trade with anyone who lives in a quite green scenic area. That's the type of area that I hope to go to med school at. :D

I went into this thing with no top choices, so to speak. However, being from the tri-state area, I would love to stay in NYC. I've also wanted to hit up Chicago. :/ We shall see...

I grew up in Los Angeles and have lived here all my life (actually I live in Orange County now but I'm embarrassed about that) and I want to get out of here. Yet, everyone wants to come here. I'll trade with anyone who lives in a quite green scenic area. That's the type of area that I hope to go to med school at. :D

I've never been to California, but I've grown up in those green scenic areas (Kentucky, West Virginia, etc...) then ended up moving to Florida. I def. want to go somewhere in the south-east, mid-east for that same reason (Some areas of Florida make me really miss mountains)

Members don't see this ad :)

Why are you embarrassed about living in Orange County?

Dude, you're crazy! Hahaha, nothing wrong with living in the OC!

I know what you're talking about, just my location isn't seen as glamorous or as enviable as yours. I'm from the other LA and I want to get out so bad to be somewhere else for a while and experience something different. I've lived my whole life within 60 miles of my hometown. Lame.

My dream school is my state school because
1. cheaper
2. family/friend support network

BUT, I admit if the above two weren't a concern, I'd LOVE to live in NYC, Boston, Chicago, or San Fransisco during med school and possibly beyond.

My dream school is my state school because
1. It's UCLA
2. Family/friend support network

I've lived in Boston my entire life. It would be nice to go to Seattle or something.

There are actually four! Hehe. Everyone forgets about poor University of Massachusetts Medical School.

There are actually four! Hehe. Everyone forgets about poor University of Massachusetts Medical School.
That school forgets about everyone else not in Mass. They only accept state residents. So it's no wonder why every that isn't in Mass. doesn't give a damn about U. of Mass. :laugh:

very much NOT in boston. you've lived in boston your whole life and you think worcester = boston?

as for me, i'd love to be in boston or on the UES of manhattan.

it's looking like UES right now, but i'm still holding out hope for beantown... :oops:

very much NOT in boston. you've lived in boston your whole life and you think worcester = boston?

as for me, i'd love to be in boston or on the UES of manhattan.

it's looking like UES right now, but i'm still holding out hope for beantown... :oops:

For some reason I thought they wrote "Massachusetts"... My mistake!

I want to stay close to home. This means University of Maryland and Johns Hopkins. DANG.

california. but 0 interviews currently. lolz

i mean harvard would be great too:rolleyes:

I really want to go to University of Louisville. I was born there, I have a lot of family and friends there, I love the city and the state and would probably end up staying there my entire career if possible. I have their average stats, hoping the MCAT goes well in January.

Same here. I don't have any reach schools that I want to, I just really would love to go to UofL. 3 out of my 4 doctors that I grew up went to UofL, and I just really love the idea of it. I'm out of state for college and I miss Louisville so much. Sometimes I feel like it's too much of a dream for me though.

I want to go to UMICH SO BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!

Best school in my state and in the top 10. It is located an hour away from me and I can always get an apt in the cool town of Ann Arbor. Love the city, love the school, love the football. GO BLUE!!!
umich.jpg

I'd love to be in a major city with some diversity. Diversity of people, places to explore and food. Living in NYC I love being able to leave my house and go within a three block radius to a Chinese, Indian, Thai, Italian, Soul food or fast food restaurant, or take the subway to manhattan and explore the thousands of clubs and bars that are there. I think I have been a little spoiled living in NYC all my life. But staying in NYC or going to Pittsburgh or DC would be great.

I'd love to be in a major city with some diversity. Diversity of people, places to explore and food. Living in NYC I love being able to leave my house and go within a three block radius to a Chinese, Indian, Thai, Italian, Soul food or fast food restaurant, or take the subway to manhattan and explore the thousands of clubs and bars that are there. I think I have been a little spoiled living in NYC all my life. But staying in NYC or going to Pittsburgh or DC would be great.

You forget about Los Latinos de Nueva York

Anyone else have unrealistic expectations on where they want to go to school?

For me, any medical school is considered unrealistic.

i always found NYC to be diverse as well as segregated. people are in their comfort zones.

i didnt really get the feeling that med students were all about the city that they were in though, they seemed busy as ****.

Chicago is beautiful, I could see myself going to school there if I didn't get in anywhere in my home state.

i would love to go to UCSF or Stanford. Then again I would love to get with Scarlett Johansson but we all know neither of those things will ever happen.

Same here. I don't have any reach schools that I want to, I just really would love to go to UofL. 3 out of my 4 doctors that I grew up went to UofL, and I just really love the idea of it. I'm out of state for college and I miss Louisville so much. Sometimes I feel like it's too much of a dream for me though.

Were you born there? I really love the area and I admire a lot of the doctors from UofL (one of their residents saved my sister's life, others kept my uncle alive for as long as they could, took great care of my grandmother, etc..). Where are you at now? I'm in Florida, I'm like you, would love to go to UofL but not sure if it's possible :-\