Whitney

10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
...an interview wherein the interviewer talks for the VAST majority of the time? I had one recently that after asking a few brief, perfunctory questions, the guy (who was very nice) launched into a 40 minute (no exaggeration) explication of the curriculum and other stuff about the school. Though it was informative and friendly, I can't imagine what he learned about me. I just tried to look interested, which wasn't too hard, and maintain eye contact. Afterwards, he said "Wow, how fast that hour flew buy," which was kinda funny.

Furthermore, when I walked in for this particular interview, my interviewer introduced me to another guy and they asked if I wouldn't mind if he sat in to learn about interviewing "techniques." So, my interviewer obviously was conducting himself in a particular manner.....

I know being a good doctor involves good listening skills....but 40 minutes STRAIGHT!!!???? Anyone else have an idea what's up with that or had a similar experience?

Scrubz67

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2004
Status
Whitney said:
...an interview wherein the interviewer talks for the VAST majority of the time? I had one recently that after asking a few brief, perfunctory questions, the guy (who was very nice) launched into a 40 minute (no exaggeration) explication of the curriculum and other stuff about the school. Though it was informative and friendly, I can't imagine what he learned about me. I just tried to look interested, which wasn't too hard, and maintain eye contact. Afterwards, he said "Wow, how fast that hour flew buy," which was kinda funny.

Furthermore, when I walked in for this particular interview, my interviewer introduced me to another guy and they asked if I wouldn't mind if he sat in to learn about interviewing "techniques." So, my interviewer obviously was conducting himself in a particular manner.....

I know being a good doctor involves good listening skills....but 40 minutes STRAIGHT!!!???? Anyone else have an idea what's up with that or had a similar experience?

OMG I think we had the same interviewer for this certain school!!! I had the EXACT same situation, only after about half an hour I interjected with "ok since I'm an actress and I love to talk about myself let me tell you about me..." and then I kind of related the totally off-topic discussion to the medical school and me. After the end of the interview the other guy talked me in the elevator and said "quite artfully handled". But in any case I left that interview completely baffled and pretty sure I wouldn't get in. Needless to say, I ended up getting in a week later. So don't fret, I heard the rumor that this particular school sends its almost "guarenteed acceptees" to this person. If there is any truth to it, I can't say but it is a possibility. :luck:

OP
Whitney

Whitney

10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Scrubz67 said:
OMG I think we had the same interviewer for this certain school!!! I had the EXACT same situation, only after about half an hour I interjected with "ok since I'm an actress and I love to talk about myself let me tell you about me..." and then I kind of related the totally off-topic discussion to the medical school and me. After the end of the interview the other guy talked me in the elevator and said "quite artfully handled". But in any case I left that interview completely baffled and pretty sure I wouldn't get in. Needless to say, I ended up getting in a week later. So don't fret, I heard the rumor that this particular school sends its almost "guarenteed acceptees" to this person. If there is any truth to it, I can't say but it is a possibility. :luck:
That's hilarious Scrubz....very funny way of handling it on your part! Part of me wants to ask what school....and part of me wants to hold onto to the idea that it was same guy.....

KiKat37

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2004
Status
Would you guys mind sharing the name of the school? I had a very similar interview 2-3 weeks ago, but there wasn't a third person "observing" and "learning" interview techniques. But, yes, the guy asked me 1-2 questions (not related to med school :confused: ) and then talked for 30 minutes about the school and the curriculum... I left thinking that he didn't learn anything about me and that I would get rejected. Haven't heard back yet.

Scrubz67

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2004
Status
KiKat37 said:
Would you guys mind sharing the name of the school? I had a very similar interview 2-3 weeks ago, but there wasn't a third person "observing" and "learning" interview techniques. But, yes, the guy asked me 1-2 questions (not related to med school :confused: ) and then talked for 30 minutes about the school and the curriculum... I left thinking that he didn't learn anything about me and that I would get rejected. Haven't heard back yet.

I'll PM you the school I think Witney is talking about...don't wanna ruin it

SFAJess

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2004
Temple, TX
www.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
The same thing happened to me. It was a woman ER doc and she kept telling me that I may one day look over at a PA or a NP and see that they still have a youthful look and they seem happier and that I may wish that I could have spent more time with my family, yada yada yada.

It sounded like she was explaining HER frustrations of being a physician. It was really weird and I wasn't quite sure how to respond so I think I asked a question about the school. Once again she went on and on and on. I think I only got to put in about 3 minutes of me talking. :confused: