anyone else headed to nih this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr OCD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those of you headed to nih, have any of you guys gotten details about your timings, dress code etc. all ive gotten is my lab placement...:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Wow and I thought I had it bad lol. I'm heading down May 29 and will be there until August 3. I'm going to be at the NIAMS' Molecular Immunology/Inflammation Branch. I'll be at American University and taking the Metro to work.

From what I hear dress code is casual, so probably jeans (but none w/ holes in them). I mean, there are labs, so you'll probably have to deal with potential chemical spillage.

I work at NIH right now, and you can wear pretty much anything you want if you work exclusively in a lab (I am currently wearing cargo shorts and a T-shirt). If you will be seeing patients you must dress up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't wear flip flops! PIs hate that.

Not that I would know from personal experience....

not trying to hijack this thread but I just wanted to know what kind of credentials you had to get accepted to work for the NIH. Also, I plan on applying to medical school June 1, 2008, will working for the NIH in any way affect medical school start dates? Thanks!

for those of you headed to nih, have any of you guys gotten details about your timings, dress code etc. all ive gotten is my lab placement...:cool:

Same here...

Hey I was wondering, if you guys mind telling me how you got the opportunity to participate in NIH?

I almost forgot to ask: for those of you going to the NIH, where will you be housing? Maybe after work and on weekends we can get together and hang out in Washington, D.C. or something :p

Raihan: In November the NIH's website opens for applications to its Summer Internship Program (SIP). Basically you fill out an application online, including a personal statement, references, research interests and more (transcript information is confirmed after you put the grades into the application yourself). Once your application is complete, NIH investigators can look through the applicants and pick who they would like to work in their labs and contacts them.

It's a rolling admission process, so "technically" the earlier your application comes in the better the chance you'll get in. I put that in quote because I submitted my application in early January (deadline is March 1) and I didn't receive a call until late March.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask me. The website for the program, in case you are interested in applying next year, is here: http://www.training.nih.gov/student/sip/index.asp

i seriously applied on feb 28. how i got in, i have no clue.

The timing of the NIH offers can be pretty interesting. I applied to the IRTA fellowship and got an interview invite an hour later. Then for months, only a couple other emails slowly filtered in. I arranged 3 interviews over my spring break, but got another invite the day before I headed down and that's the one I ended up accepting. Then the day after I accepted, I got another email from a lab that would have been perfect (i.e. clinical) that of course I had to turn down. Alas.

I almost forgot to ask: for those of you going to the NIH, where will you be housing? Maybe after work and on weekends we can get together and hang out in Washington, D.C. or something :p

Raihan: In November the NIH's website opens for applications to its Summer Internship Program (SIP). Basically you fill out an application online, including a personal statement, references, research interests and more (transcript information is confirmed after you put the grades into the application yourself). Once your application is complete, NIH investigators can look through the applicants and pick who they would like to work in their labs and contacts them.

It's a rolling admission process, so "technically" the earlier your application comes in the better the chance you'll get in. I put that in quote because I submitted my application in early January (deadline is March 1) and I didn't receive a call until late March.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask me. The website for the program, in case you are interested in applying next year, is here: http://www.training.nih.gov/student/sip/index.asp

Hey SB100, I am going to be a freahmen in college next year and I am thinking about participating in this program funded by NIH. Are freshmen allowed to apply? I also have another question do you need recommendation for this program. I don't know if its possible for me to get recommendations because it would be my first year in college and I don't think my college professors would know me well enough to write me a recommendation. One last question, what should I do during my college fresmen year to increase my chances of getting into the NIH program?

I am currently a research fellow through the CRTA program at NIH.

A lot of the particulars are determined by the individual PI or chief that you work under. I know that most are fairly flexible as far as working hours go. Dress code is anything from casual - to business casual. I'd suggest that if you are in a clinical lab or will be around patients daily, you should definitely dress more buisness casual.

To be safe - your first day show up business casual at 8 am. :p That seems pretty standard to me. From there, you can determine what needs adjusted (aka ... what you can get away with). ;)

Hey SB100, I am going to be a freahmen in college next year and I am thinking about participating in this program funded by NIH. Are freshmen allowed to apply? I also have another question do you need recommendation for this program. I don't know if its possible for me to get recommendations because it would be my first year in college and I don't think my college professors would know me well enough to write me a recommendation. One last question, what should I do during my college fresmen year to increase my chances of getting into the NIH program?

I know I'm not SB100, but I did the NIH program for two years so I'm pretty qualified to answer your questions. Freshman are totally welcome to apply; the program takes high schoolers, undergrads, and med/dent students. You will need a letter of rec to apply. Just because it's your first year doesn't mean you can't get the letters, just go to your prof, explain the situation, and hope that they are sympathetic. They should understand. As for improving your chances, getting involved in research is probably your best bet. If not, get good grades and try to get to know your profs. Showing an interest in research will be a huge bonus. Also, once you apply, get in contact with the PIs and let them know you are interested. That step will help you immensely.

Great compensation, intelligent people, journal club, free bagels ...I'm gettin all nostaligic and wish I was going there this summer.

But, oh yes, tedious research.... that part is a bit of a downer.

I know I'm not SB100, but I did the NIH program for two years so I'm pretty qualified to answer your questions. Freshman are totally welcome to apply; the program takes high schoolers, undergrads, and med/dent students. You will need a letter of rec to apply. Just because it's your first year doesn't mean you can't get the letters, just go to your prof, explain the situation, and hope that they are sympathetic. They should understand. As for improving your chances, getting involved in research is probably your best bet. If not, get good grades and try to get to know your profs. Showing an interest in research will be a huge bonus. Also, once you apply, get in contact with the PIs and let them know you are interested. That step will help you immensely.
What is a PI?

No contact from my future PI since late March. I've been dealing mostly with the HR lady trying to get all my forms in order.

No contact from my future PI since late March. I've been dealing mostly with the HR lady trying to get all my forms in order.

Maybe you should make the first contact, that's what I did ;)