Anyone else in the 400k+ debt bandwagon after the 2016 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magicwalrusknight

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well title says it all. I was an average applicant and took my state's private school (NYU) which costs around 400-430k and kinda stressed about. Anyone else dealing with similar numbers? I heard some people say they'd rather give up on dentistry than go into that level of debt so it's kinda leaving me wondering if it'll be worth it. Half of my mind says yes; the other half isn't so sure. I know there's a lot of options to start chipping away at this pain in the ass like NHSC, Aspen's loan repayment, PSLF, etc. Just wanted to know how you guys rationalize it. Thanks fellows.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you're realistic about the debt and live modestly, you'll be fine!

Reactions: 1 user
Nyu costs more than 400-430k.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Their projected costs come at around $330,000 for tuition and fees. If you don't have living expenses and housing why would the price be up at 430k? Is it cause you count in inflation and increase in tuition? Or maybe the interest on debt over the years? that doesn't account for 100k does it?

Their projected costs come at around $330,000 for tuition and fees. If you don't have living expenses and housing why would the price be up at 430k? Is it cause you count in inflation and increase in tuition? Or maybe the interest on debt over the years? that doesn't account for 100k does it?

Ah my friend, there's a brutal s.o.b known as interest and yes it does add quite a bit. Going to NYU will unquestionably put one at least 400k in debt if they are paying for everything on their own.

Atleast you're keenly aware of it. Like someone else said, just live modestly (stay a couple years with your parents after school if possible) and stay knowledgeable about your options for repayment.

You were pretty much in the same situation I was in. I decided to not go to NYU since I felt that level of debt was outrageous. And when you think about other countries it really does start to get stupid and REALLY stupid when you look at the numbers. For myself, I feel that the most one should ever pay for dental school is 300, maybe 350k. NYU WILL cost over 400k for you, be certain of that. It won't go above 450k unless you start pulling out more than you need from Uncle Sam. But don't let me dissuade you; you can pay off those loans and still live a better life than most Americans with the salary you'll be making once you're experienced and know what you're doing. I just wasn't interested in shouldering a debt like that. By the way just realize how hard dental school is. I hope you live fairly close to the school to be living with your parents. A commute over an hour would be hell I imagine, but if you're a city-kid it might not be so bad.

Reactions: 3 users
Nyu costs more than 400-430k.

Except if he's actually living with his parents like he says, then no, it won't go much higher than 430k, even with tuition increases. His estimate seems solid.

Ah my friend, there's a brutal s.o.b known as interest and yes it does add quite a bit. Going to NYU will unquestionably put one at least 400k in debt if they are paying for everything on their own.
Wait what if you only have to borrow 100-150k? Do u still think the price would go up as much?

Wait what if you only have to borrow 100-150k? Do u still think the price would go up as much?

If you only have to borrow 100-150k then no, it won't. Interest is a percentage of the amount you borrow so it will be higher for someone borrowing 400k+ vs. someone borrowing 100-150k. But you'd have to foot the rest of the bill somehow.

If you only have to borrow 100-150k then no, it won't. Interest is a percentage of the amount you borrow so it will be higher for someone borrowing 400k+ vs. someone borrowing 100-150k. But you'd have to foot the rest of the bill somehow.
True. I understand. I'm aware that me and like other people will have to borrow a good chunk of money. I was just confused why people always say NYU always runs you close to 500k. Definitely an expensive place to live but also pricy in general. Why do people never complain about Columbia being expensive? Isn't it just as expensive as NYU?

Cost versus return, I'm assuming.
As far as pre-clinic goes, I've seen what NYU is teaching their students in operative, and I personally would never pay that much for their quality of education.
Would u pay for Columbia?

Yeah I understand what u mean..unless it's Harvard or Columbia u expect that "450" to give you something special...but u probsbly get the same thing at NYU that u get at a normal state school

Members don't see this ad :)
@fit2 Close to 500k? 544k based on The Most Ridiculously Expensive Dental Schools Thread with 2016 tuition numbers...that's expected to rise as every year passes.

Anyways, this is like the sixth or so thread I've seen on SDN within the last two years where the OP is posting major regret about either 1) OP is currently a NYU dental student, but feel like with the future debt load it's not worth it and wants to drop out or 2) NYU was OP's only acceptance and OP is seriously considering dropping their acceptance and reapplying again the next cycle.

Unless you're financially well off or will have the military pay for your tuition, I think any school that costs over 350k needs to be seriously considered when applying. I personally believe dentistry is a great profession for years to come and could be still worth it over 350k, but the threshold of stress at 350k+ debt will vary from person to person. I think someone needs to post a sticky about the outrageous costs of these schools. Very sad to see how every other person will apply to NYU as a backup, but won't consider the ramifications when NYU becomes their only acceptance.

Would u pay for Columbia?

Yeah I understand what u mean..unless it's Harvard or Columbia u expect that "450" to give you something special...but u probsbly get the same thing at NYU that u get at a normal state school
@fit2 Close to 500k? 544k based on The Most Ridiculously Expensive Dental Schools Thread with 2016 tuition numbers...that's expected to rise as every year passes.

Anyways, this is like the sixth or so thread I've seen on SDN within the last two years where the OP is posting major regret about either 1) OP is currently a NYU dental student, but feel like with the future debt load it's not worth it and wants to drop out or 2) NYU was OP's only acceptance and OP is seriously considering dropping their acceptance and reapplying again the next cycle.

Unless you're financially well off or will have the military pay for your tuition, I think any school that costs over 350k needs to be seriously considered when applying. I personally believe dentistry is a great profession for years to come and could be still worth it over 350k, but the threshold of stress at 350k+ debt will vary from person to person. I think someone needs to post a sticky about the outrageous costs of these schools. Very sad to see how every other person will apply to NYU as a backup, but won't consider the ramifications when NYU becomes their only acceptance.

It's 544k if you're an absolute *****. Those numbers are based on the website's projected living costs which are inflated. You don't need 30-something grand to live in NYC as a student.

As someone who is currently attending a state dental school, you most definitely do not get the same quality of pre-clinical education at NYU as you do at a state school. In my opinion, NYU is overpriced based on the education quality and work I have seen their students produce, and it's not the students' fault as it's how they simply were taught.
Ive heard many people complain at NYU from students and dentists. Imo it doesn't look like the best school...especially for the price u have to pay for it

It's 544k if you're an absolute *****. Those numbers are based on the website's projected living costs which are inflated. You don't need 30-something grand to live in NYC as a student.
Yeah I feel like I can live off of like a third of the projected living expenses. At my undergraduate it says like14,000 for books, and living. And I probably pay like 4000-5000

@nowaysurvey I don't see how you would get 544K unless u borrow all the money and that you add the interest to what you'll have to pay.
Geez borrowing over 300K IMO is like the worst choice anyone could make. Dental school is worth anything to me...but like I wouldn't pay 300-400K only with loans. There's other ways to pay...borrow from anyone you can...friends, family . I dunno loans to cover ALL tuition and fees should be the absolute last choice

@nowaysurvey I don't see how you would get 544K unless u borrow all the money and that you add the interest to what you'll have to pay.
Geez borrowing over 300K IMO is like the worst choice anyone could make. Dental school is worth anything to me...but like I wouldn't pay 300-400K only with loans. There's other ways to pay...borrow from anyone you can...friends, family . I dunno loans to cover ALL tuition and fees should be the absolute last choice

Easy to say that, but many applicants don't exactly come from families that can afford to shell out tens of thousands to finance their children's education.

Reactions: 4 users
Easy to say that, but many applicants don't exactly come from families that can afford to shell out tens of thousands to finance their children's education.
Yeah I guess...haha. By no means is my family able to afford dental school education cost. But I know they're willing to help me with whatever they have. Which is also probably not a standard for all parents

The median salary of a second war country would definitely put me way below poverty line in the US:laugh: (if my parents or I were citizens)

Ive heard many people complain at NYU from students and dentists. Imo it doesn't look like the best school...especially for the price u have to pay for it

In all respects, Ilumident has no idea what he's talking about. Going to NYU doesn't automatically render you a garbage dentist and I guarantee there are students there who outperform him considerably figuring the number of patients they see in clinic (being situated in the busiest city in the world). NYU is a clinically oriented school and has more rigorous clinical aspects to it than many state schools (not all). He's still a student and he really has no credentials whatsoever to be judging another student's work so scathingly. Both dentists that I shadowed went to NYU and they told me it's an excellent school (i'd put more stock in the words of successful, established dentists over a student). One of them managed to match into an ortho specialization at columbia from NYU as well. And for comparison's sake:

Going to schools like Stony/Buffalo will still put you in debt at the 300-350k mark. For me NYU would cost 400-410k if I play my cards right. In the end there are many programs that allow you to repay your debt faster, like working in an NHSC center or PSLF. Beyond that, you can still live comfortably even when paying 50-60k per year toward your loans.

In all respects, Ilumident has no idea what he's talking about. Going to NYU doesn't automatically render you a garbage dentist and I guarantee there are students there who outperform him considerably figuring the number of patients they see in clinic (being situated in the busiest city in the world). NYU is a clinically oriented school and has more rigorous clinical aspects to it than many state schools (not all). He's still a student and he really has no credentials whatsoever to be judging another student's work so scathingly. Both dentists that I shadowed went to NYU and they told me it's an excellent school (i'd put more stock in the words of successful, established dentists over a student). One of them managed to match into an ortho specialization at columbia from NYU as well. And for comparison's sake:

Going to schools like Stony/Buffalo will still put you in debt at the 300-350k mark. For me NYU would cost 400-410k if I play my cards right. In the end there are many programs that allow you to repay your debt faster, like working in an NHSC center or PSLF. Beyond that, you can still live comfortably even when paying 50-60k per year toward your loans.
You're right. I believe if you work hard u can be a great dentist no matter where you go.
I actually heard at NYU people have a hard time seeing patients cause the class size is so big. That might be the "bad stuff" that was happening a decade ago and which it still haunts the school

You're right. I believe if you work hard u can be a great dentist no matter where you go.
I actually heard at NYU people have a hard time seeing patients cause the class size is so big. That might be the "bad stuff" that was happening a decade ago and which it still haunts the school

You are right about that but from what I hear from students, I know several from my time in New York, they had no problems finding patients and NYU is one of the largest schools in the country. They told me that there are multiple floors to work on so there's never any real shortage. They also told me that there are many clinical requirements but that they are largely finished by their third and spend the fourth year looking at more interesting cases.

You are right about that but from what I hear from students, I know several from my time in New York, they had no problems finding patients and NYU is one of the largest schools in the country. They told me that there are multiple floors to work on so there's never any real shortage. They also told me that there are many clinical requirements but that they are largely finished by their third and spend the fourth year looking at more interesting cases.
That sounds encouraging. I applied to NYU so if I was to get in I'd still love going there. I have 2 friends at dental school there and I'd probsbly love attending a school in NY

As someone who is currently attending a state dental school, you most definitely do not get the same quality of pre-clinical education at NYU as you do at a state school. In my opinion, NYU is overpriced based on the education quality and work I have seen their students produce, and it's not the students' fault as it's how they simply were taught.

A question I had that is not worth starting a new thread over- does NYU have digital radiographs yet? Thank you.

Well title says it all. I was an average applicant and took my state's private school (NYU) which costs around 400-430k and kinda stressed about. Anyone else dealing with similar numbers? I heard some people say they'd rather give up on dentistry than go into that level of debt so it's kinda leaving me wondering if it'll be worth it. Half of my mind says yes; the other half isn't so sure. I know there's a lot of options to start chipping away at this pain in the ass like NHSC, Aspen's loan repayment, PSLF, etc. Just wanted to know how you guys rationalize it. Thanks fellows.
What in the actual heck. That is an insane number; guess I didn't quite realize dental schools were so pricey. It's something you'll be able to repay but an absolute rock tied to your feet for a good decade. Think about $4600+/mo payments for 10 years with an ultimate extra $150k+ in interest. For example, if you live in California with a $150k income that leaves you with $7900/month after taxes. 7900-4600 leaves $3300 a month. That's $39,600 net per year or ~$20/hrish after tax @40hrs/week 50 wks/yr ($54,000 pre-tax equivalent). For 10 years. Ouch.

$400k is a a lot.

Reactions: 2 users
A wise man once said, "Don't ask if you can afford it, ask how can I afford it"

Those words changed my life and I have taken my lowly income/no financial knowledge and have invested to the point of being able to pay off half my expenses already.

@fit2 and @magicwalrusknight, my apologies. I didn't pull 544k out of the air, but rather I got it from another thread. But yes, it does seem over exaggerated with the cost of living that NYU provided, but then again because I'm from the south, I'm not remotely familiar with the cost of living in NYU other than the fact that I know it's much much much more than where I live. But as OP mentioned, he lives with his parents and says cost is 400-430k, can I assume it's like 430-450k for an OSS? And this doesn't include the interest that accrues from day 1 or yearly tuition increases, so by the time you graduate you'll be looking at at least 475k-495k+?

Regardless, my point is NYU is still one of the most expensive dental schools in the nation. I hate seeing threads where either a current NYU dental student is reconsidering dentistry or a prospective NYU dental student is considering reapplying again because it was his or her only acceptance. People, please please put a lot of consideration when applying to NYU or any other school that cost 350k+.

Reactions: 1 users
What in the actual heck. That is an insane number; guess I didn't quite realize dental schools were so pricey. It's something you'll be able to repay but an absolute rock tied to your feet for a good decade. Think about $4600+/mo payments for 10 years with an ultimate extra $150k+ in interest. For example, if you live in California with a $150k income that leaves you with $7900/month after taxes. 7900-4600 leaves $3300 a month. That's $39,600/year or ~$20/hrish after tax @40hrs/week ($54,000 pre-tax). For 10 years. Ouch.

$400k is a a lot.

Indeed it is. But it can be less than a decade if someone really exhausts all their loan repayment options, but those are their own burdens too. Regardless, it's quite a valley to climb out of.

@fit2 and @magicwalrusknight, my apologies. I didn't pull 544k out of the air, but rather I got it from another thread. But yes, it does seem over exaggerated with the cost of living that NYU provided, but then again because I'm from the south, I'm not remotely familiar with the cost of living in NYU other than the fact that I know it's much much much more than where I live. But as OP mentioned, he lives with his parents and says cost is 400-430k, can I assume it's like 430-450k for an OSS? And this doesn't include the interest that accrues from day 1 or yearly tuition increases, so by the time you graduate you'll be looking at at least 475k-495k+?

Regardless, my point is NYU is still one of the most expensive dental schools in the nation. I hate seeing threads where either a current NYU dental student is reconsidering dentistry or a prospective NYU dental student is considering reapplying again because it was his or her only acceptance. People, please please put a lot of consideration when applying to NYU or any other school that cost 350k+.

Yeah that sounds spot on if you're an OOS. If you plan on living near the school, the debt can very easily reach the amounts you stated.

That sounds encouraging. I applied to NYU so if I was to get in I'd still love going there. I have 2 friends at dental school there and I'd probsbly love attending a school in NY

By the way, take it from me. If you're still applying or whatnot, I STRONGLY encourage you to consider all the cheap schools first and prioritize those even if you have to go to the other side of the US. Leave the money-grabbing schools like NYU as a last resort. Your youth will thank you.

Honesty all this talk about whether or not NYUs clinicals are as good a school other schools or not is anecdotal. I've met many great dentists from NYU and I know for sure as a school they are amazing.

And as for the cost for NYU, it is 90k a year this year for tuition and fees alone. 90k x 4= 360k. Add in that 3 k tuition increase a year and interest you are looking at 440-450k. This is assuming you don't eat, don't need a place to stay. No vacations, no going out with friends. Imagine? Smack dab in the middle of one of the busiest cities in the world and not hitting up a bar after a long day in clinic? Fat chance. Are you going to spend your parents money for that stuff too?

This is something for anyone going to ANY private school to consider. If you want to get a scholarship, you have to be proactive to get them.

Honesty all this talk about whether or not NYUs clinicals are as good a school other schools or not is anecdotal. I've met many great dentists from NYU and I know for sure as a school they are amazing.

And as for the cost for NYU, it is 90k a year this year for tuition and fees alone. 90k x 4= 360k. Add in that 3 k tuition increase a year and interest you are looking at 440-450k. This is assuming you don't eat, don't need a place to stay. No vacations, no going out with friends. Imagine? Smack dab in the middle of one of the busiest cities in the world and not hitting up a bar after a long day in clinic? Fat chance. Are you going to spend your parents money for that stuff too?

This is something for anyone going to ANY private school to consider. If you want to get a scholarship, you have to be proactive to get them.
For some OOSers and internationals private schools or OOs tuition is extremely high and there's no getting around that. I think you can definitely cut on living cost from what's posted online. But yeah sadly with the increase in tuition and especially at NYU someone's looking at potentially 400K+

Even with tuition increases, like I said, it hovers in the 420-430k range. And my parents do pay for groceries, which I have no problem mooching off of, and get this, my parents actually enjoy taking care of me while I study my ass off! Go figure. I don't plan on vacationing when I'm in dental school nor do I plan on blowing it on entertainment outside of hitting up the movies (literally 15 bucks LEMME GET A LOAN ON THAT TOO RIGHT?) Never drank, never will. Fat chance methinks not. And I've been living in this city my whole life, the glamour effect is jaded at this point.

Well I would say if your mommy and daddy is estactic having someone spending their mid twenties like a child, I can't hate on that.

Even with tuition increases, like I said, it hovers in the 420-430k range. And my parents do pay for groceries, which I have no problem mooching off of, and get this, my parents actually enjoy taking care of me while I study my ass off! Go figure. I don't plan on vacationing when I'm in dental school nor do I plan on blowing it on entertainment outside of hitting up the movies (literally 15 bucks LEMME GET A LOAN ON THAT TOO RIGHT?) Never drank, never will. Fat chance methinks not. And I've been living in this city my whole life, the glamour effect is jaded at this point.

It's a public forum, you don't need to defend yourself on your parents supporting you lol. There's no shame in having that support.

Well I would say if your mommy and daddy is estactic having someone spending their mid twenties like a child, I can't hate on that.
How is he a child that he benefits from his parents? If I did my responsibilities (to study) my parents would do whatever they can to help me out (not just money)
And how many parents are willing nowadays to help their kids with as much as they can? I'd take help from my parents instead of loans any day.

Reactions: 6 users
How is he a child that he benefits from his parents? If I did my responsibilities (to study) my parents would do whatever they can to help me out (not just money)
And how many parents are willing nowadays to help their kids with as much as they can? I'd take help from my parents instead of loans any day.

Precisely. Taking parental support when they're offering it is the smart thing to do. It makes financial sense

Reactions: 7 users
IMO you should brag if your parents help you. There's nothing to defend that parents help their kids get through school. I believe it's a parents responsibility to help how they can. As is a kids responsibility to take care of his parents afterwards

Do they offer some decent scholarships? I am planning to send an application their way, although I don't really see myself going there because of cost and living away from home. I'm only applying to 5 schools and thought to keep them on my list as a just in case kind of thing.

Do they offer some decent scholarships? I am planning to send an application their way, although I don't really see myself going there because of cost and living away from home. I'm only applying to 5 schools and thought to keep them on my list as a just in case kind of thing.

Be careful. Ask yourself "would I attend if it's the only place I got into?"

If the answer is no, just dont apply

Eh, not my cup of tea. My parents offered to cover a ton of things for me but at the end of the day, there is a certain amount of learning and growing that comes with paying my own bills and tackling my financial responsibilities myself. I do have help from them but not to the point of having mommy cook my chicken nuggets for dinner.

10% gets the scholarship, it's a mystery as to who gets them. My friend with a solid 22 aa 3.7 gpa from a Ivy League didn't get it.

Wow 5 schools sounds scary unless you're so sure they'll accept you.
I think nowadays the max yearly scholarships is $25,000/year. They used to do full tuition or $30,00/year but they don't do that anymore I don't think.
$100,000 off make NYU quite affordable if you are international or OOS everywhere

Eh, not my cup of tea. My parents offered to cover a ton of things for me but at the end of the day, there is a certain amount of learning and growing that comes with paying my own bills and tackling my financial responsibilities myself. I do have help from them but not to the point of having mommy cook my chicken nuggets for dinner.
When my parents offered to help I actually turned them down. And I said the same thing haha...that its my investment. But they said it's a difference between growing financially and as a person and borrowing 400K. Those kind of loans may help you grow up but they also pose a huuuuge liability and they might stunt your growth as a dentist i.e. Own your own practice etc.
I do admire that you want to take it on u as much as possible. It's funny how much Ive grown up lately and dental school seems to be like a huge next step in my life so I understand

Wow 5 schools sounds scary unless you're so sure they'll accept you.
I think nowadays the max yearly scholarships is $25,000/year. They used to do full tuition or $30,00/year but they don't do that anymore I don't think.
$100,000 off make NYU quite affordable if you are international or OOS everywhere
I think I am in decent shape (it all really depends on my DAT). I have a 3.92, and I am taking the DAT on the 27th (but am probably going to postpone by a week to give myself some time to review). I saw your DAT score and you did amazing! congrats! I really don't think I can score as well as you did. My goal is a 23, but I feel I may end up with a 20-21, which I won't be too happy about. The DAT struggle is real.

Be careful. Ask yourself "would I attend if it's the only place I got into?"
If the answer is no, just dont apply
This is a great thing to ask myself. My school choices aren't the best either (Upenn, Harvard, Columbia, Temple, NYU). My goal is Temple as I am a Philadelphian. I externed at Temple, loved it, and they are much cheaper (compared to my other options). If I get into Upenn and get some scholarships that'll bring down the cost significant enough, sure, I'll attend, especially since I want to specialize in ortho and love research. Harvard is a reach school. Columbia and NYU are my next closest options in terms of living. NYU is way too expensive, but yes, I will attend if it is the only school I get into. Columbia is on my list as well since it is also research heavy.

My schools are a stretch. Especially without my DAT scores. I'm struggling with my ps as well as it is the last component before submitting my app (and I have to submit by 22nd or else I forfeit my fee waiver). I don't have the best ECS, but they are decent enough. If only I was able to get my first author paper out in time :( I mentioned in my research experience that I am currently working on a draft, if it matters to them.

I think I am in decent shape (it all really depends on my DAT). I have a 3.92, and I am taking the DAT on the 27th (but am probably going to postpone by a week to give myself some time to review). I saw your DAT score and you did amazing! congrats! I really don't think I can score as well as you did. My goal is a 23, but I feel I may end up with a 20-21, which I won't be too happy about. The DAT struggle is real.

Thanks!
Your GPA is great! Extra time is good if u feel it'll help u!
you got This! Go into the test knowing you'll hit your DAT goal!

Lots of Good Luck!!!

It's all relative. If you're taking on a massive debt for the sake of being a big boy and learning, just doesn't seem smart to me. You're adding interest that goes to the government. A smarter option would be letting parents paying and you paying them back. Or even letting them pay and you setting up a budget as if you were on loans. But losing money to the government for no reason if your parents can afford to spot you is just silly to me.

Also on the one hand you can say "parents paying for school = mommy making nuggets for dinner" but I see taking on debt for the sake of it is like using pencil and paper just to be hardcore while other people are using laptops even if you can afford a laptop. Making life harder for yourself to learn about finances is just unnecessary when you can learn just as easily by making your own budget or paying parents back.

Reactions: 9 users