Anyone else interested in these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lutz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Duke, UNC, MCV/VCU, MUSC, Michigan?

If so what are your thoughts?

This board has been so quiet lately!

Members don't see this ad.

I've interviewed at UNC and Duke-- Anyways, you probably knew all or most of this, but just in case there's some future path applicants who read this and are trying to find some scoop on program here's what I know/heard about the programs:

Duke: Duke was probably the biggest enigma of any program I applied to just b/c half the people I talked to thought it was a great program while the other half would say "I can't believe you're even applying there." This stems from the fact that several years ago there were several scandals involving the path dept--embezzling, sexual harrasment and other stuff and apparently a lot of their bigger names left. I actually asked the residents about this rep and they said they had heard that too, but the program is pretty stable now--Dr. Pizzo has been in place as chairman for 10 years now and the program is definately on solid ground. The residents are definately happy and find good jobs. The residency has a lot of perks- huge book fund, your own lap top, etc... But I'd just be aware that their rep does linger amongst certain people, so I don't how how this will affect people down the line.

UNC: This program seems pretty solid and my chairman is a big advocate of this program. Has a really strong academic rep, but many go into private practice. Have a really strong renal program. Chapel Hill is definately a beutiful area-close to mountains, and beaches. I'd check out the resident reviews on scutwork if you haven't--its one of the few programs w/several.

Thanks for the reply!

I had been wondering about what happened at Duke. When I interviewed at a few other programs in the Southeast and Midatlantic I kept hearing things during my interviews, but nothing specific.
It seemed that the residents there were pretty happy. I am having a hard time deciding on my rank list.

Lutz

what would you guys consider the top 10 academic programs in the country?