Anyone else just skip MCAT questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpost3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed on my practice tests that the questions that often took me a long time to answer I often missed anyway. So does anyone else see a question that looks like will give them trouble, and just bubble something in so you have time to answer all the questions you know? I probably do this about 5 times per PS section, and it seems to help.

Members don't see this ad.

rpost3 said:
I noticed on my practice tests that the questions that often took me a long time to answer I often missed anyway. So does anyone else see a question that looks like will give them trouble, and just bubble something in so you have time to answer all the questions you know? I probably do this about 5 times per PS section, and it seems to help.

i have a 1.5 minute rule...obviously i'm not looking at the clock. but if it seems like its taking forever...i'll stop. if however, i know i'm not getting the right answer because of a stupid calculation, i may continue. you have to judge when its time to let something go. its very difficult for me, since i'm a little stubborn, and if i know i have the potential to get it right. but you just have to remind yourself, by being fixated on one problem, you are selling your self short of marks on possibly 2 or more other simpler problems.

Thats one of the biggest problems i have is "moving on" when i come to a hard problem, Its difficult but it allows you to get the easy questions towards the end

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if totally switching up your strategy the day before the test will make you feel very confident tomorrow. Having said that, I guessed on some verbal questions when I got to the "killer" passage, and I still got a 14 on that section.
Best Wishes! Do what's best for you

usually I try a hard question once and if I dont get anything listed as choices I'll bubble in which ever one looks the closest and move on.

I don't skip questions in PS and BS because time isn't really a factor for me. I remember spending close to 10 minutes on a single question in PS where i re-read the passage a few times. I had enough time at the end because some questions will really only take 10 seconds to answer (like: in which block is this element found?). VR...wow, always pressed for time, so if I'm running out of time, just best guess.

Yeah... For me I'm barely finishing in time in PS. So if I get to a question that is evil I take less than a minute to try and figure it out quickly by looking at outliers and remembering the equations. If I can't figure it out I get it to 50/50 and guess.

rpost3 said:

I did this on verbal when two answers seem to be equally correct. No sense in wasting precious minutes.