anyone else nervous??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hennypenny

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was totally excited when i matched at my #1, but in the days since match day, i've been feeling a little anxious about making the transition from med student to resident. i know i'm going to work hard, learn as much as i can, and be the best resident i can be, but somehow i'm still a little apprehensive about living up to expectations at my new program. i don't want to them to regret ranking me so high. can anyone commiserate with me?? and for the residents out there, any suggestions on how to deal with these kinds of feelings??

thanks!! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey hennypenny,

I am definitely in that same sinking ship with you. The transition from med student to intern is terrifying me. I keep hoping that once I get the MD degree I will miraculously know everything I need to know to survive intern year.

One resident told me that the key to intern year is organization. She said you can be as dumb as a stump, but as long as you are organized and know your patients, you will be fine. I think it will also be key to remember that even though I am the intern, I am still below the residents and only a small step ahead of the med students.

Good luck to you! I am sure it will all work out in the end (I hope :))

Originally posted by pba
i am in the same boat too. i am pretty scared, but i like the fear sometimes. it's a good wake up call. just look in the mirror and say "no more fu#king around, you little bitch".

i just did it with the reflection in the window and i feel much better.

-pba

LMFAO!!! I do the same damn thing! Except I say to my reflection, "You're a bad MFer!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've been dicking around the entire 4th year and got dumber and dumber by the day. kinda glad I will be doing my MSI in April--hopefully will kick my lazy azz into gear for intern year. Also plan to read a few books before july 1: review secrets, medicine pearls, dubin's ekg and medicine on call.

ckplay
I was just about to ask if anyone else was planning on doing some reading. 4th year has been quite the cakewalk (after sub I's are over with)! I don't think taking a couple of hours out of my day reading Nelson's with interfere too much with my vow of slackery.

My internship was an exercise in terror! I was at a small hospital with 50 med/surg beds, 9 ICU beds and 4 birthing rooms. I had NO residents to back me and covered the whole place by myself. Luckily I found a great resource that really saved my butt and served as my security blanket the entire year! The "Oncall" series. It takes you step by step through every major complaint. Tells you the questions to ask during the "initial phone call", goes over "major threats to life", includes "elevator thoughts" as well as "management strategies", etc. You might have been a real stud as a student, but believe me when I tell you that you'll wet yourself the first time you get called at 3 am about a crashing patient. Not trying to scare you...well...maybe a little! LOL! Honestly though, the first couple of months are really scary, even if you do have residents, but the learning curve is nearly vertical and within a short period of time, you'll be amazed at how much you know. Good Luck Everyone!:D

thanks for all the support!! i'm glad i'm not the only one who's feeling this way. i was also planning on studying for step 3 as well as scan a book or two prior to starting work. i figure that will decrease the stress a little. but don't get me too wrong, i also plan to have a lot of fun :cool:

i know we're all going to be great residents!! we just have to get over this newbie hump!!

;)

my intern year was awesome...i dunno, i just had an all around great time. 4th year of med school i was a TOTAL slacker, figured since I was paying for my education i could pay to be lazy....i'll admit, i got a little nervous right before coming in, but i didn't go out of my way to do anything special. i did no reading pre-residency. i just showed up to the hospital orientation, picked up my id badge and showed up to my first rotation, on call the first night. it was cool....i was the doctor. no more getting orders cosigned; i was calling the shots. i was definitely supervised by my residents who were getting used to NOT being the intern, after they finally got that skill down.. intern year is a great time.... i'd easily do it over, but i'm probably in a minority.

lessons learned....
1. organization is to internship as oxygen is to life...because of the work that will be imposed on you, you need to develop your organizational skills. a clipboard is just as important as your stethoscope during your pgy-1 year.

2. be nice to EVERYBODY - especially the nurses and ward clerks...it makes those overnight shifts go that much smoother

3. the only dumb questions are the ones that you didn't ask. Don't be afraid to ask if you don't know something. better to admit that you don't know than to make a medical error, or worse lead to someone's death

4. you are not alone. even if by phone, you have some type of backup. utilize those people ahead of you that have gone through what you have, and learn from their experiences

5. forget about step 3 -- it's almost impossible to fail. don't let your learning during your pgy-1 year be influenced in regards to step 3....step 3 is a joke and an absolute waste of time. people in all specialties pass the boards, irrespective of what type of patient contact they are having.

6. in general your chief residents are your advocates -- if your supervision sucks, let them know. if your chief's don't hear it, tell your PD...basically don't be afraid to SPEAK UP

7. be proactive in your learning. you see a patient with something -- read about it...even if you just read 10 or 15 minutes a day....don't let the sleep deprivation (if that still exists once the work hours rules go into effect July 1) prevent you from learning. also, you can only learn so much by osmosis....be proactive.

8. when you're off, you're off. use that off time to get some needed R&R and perform some "self-maintenance". get those haircuts every now and then...splurge on stuff...you finally got a paycheck!

9. a handheld device is becoming standard whitecoat gear now. the drug databases, electronic books, medical calculators...it's helping save time and decreasing the weight of the coat. definitely play with software before you decide to buy it (for example, i still have yet to see a decent patient info tracker in 3 years...)

10. intern year is only 12 months long. 11 or so if you subtract vacations.

good luck. med school is over. you're about to start an awesome ride.

A little nervousness is good. I always tell people that interns are only dangerous when they think they know what they are doing. (To explain, it's really the only time they get sloppy. Scared interns check up stuff)

A few things to remember:
80% of an intern's job is just to keep things organized. A few minutes at the beginning of the day to organize your thoughts and tasks will save you an hour at the end of the day when you realize you forgot to do something.

Write everything down. You can't trust your memory to keep track of 500 little details.

Eating and sleeping are important. It is unlikely that someone will die in the 15 minutes it takes to run down to buy something from the cafeteria before it closes. It is likely that you will be grumpy all night if you don't eat.

Be nice even when you are unhappy. This includes other people on your medical team, your consultants, the nursing team, and the ancillary staff. By and large, being nice will get you further than losing your cool. (This varies based on the situation, however, it is still my opinion that yelling is almost never justified)

Check out thisthread
for more from last year

Add me to the list of people who are nervous about starting residency. This is good. I think it is all too easy to feel like you are the only one...it certainly makes me feel better to know that there are others out there who have been taking it easy (perhaps a little too easy) since finishing sub-I's.

I picked a copy of "On-Call" and have been flipping through it. Based on advice I read here, I pulled out my copy of Dubin last night. I have to (shamefully) admit I have even been leafing through Marino. Even if in the end none of this helps with the wards, it is helping to relieve a bit of anxiety now.

The advice from current/past interns is fantastic! Thank you and please keep it coming...