Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Anyone else out there post-bac but just now starting pre-reqs?

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by FutureDrB, Jan 2, 2009.

1. FutureDrB

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm 29 and just starting my med school pre-reqs.

I have a Bachelors in Sociology and Master's in Education.

I also have to re-take about 18 hours of undergraduate courses to get my GPA up in the 3.0 range.

So, I'm looking at 2 more years of classes (which will put me at 31) before I can even start applying. :uhno:

Oh well, I want to be a doctor too bad, I'll do whatever it takes...

Anyone else out there in a similar boat?

Would love to hear your story.

2. dec0y

dec0y Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Im 24 and I just started my pre-reqs last term! I was a math major in undergrad and I am sort of fast tracking the pre-reqs, so I should only be in for about another 9 months.

3. ULRN

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm am 21, an RN, and I am about to start taking pre-reqs in Jan for med school. I am so excited!

4. dgmarma

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Same Here... I have a BS in Finance/Economics. My last 85+ Credits are a 3.97 but my overall GPA is only a 2.9 I have a five year gap in my transcript and when I returned to school I matured a bit and really got serious, but I still have to do some repairs as well. I plan to take enough upperdivision sci classes to complete another degree during the glide year and then reapply if necessary. It will happen!

If it makes you feel any better I am 33 right now, and I will be 35 when I apply...uggh!

Good-luck, Enjoy the ride!!

5. pharm B

pharm B Phar Noir
    Staff Member Administrator Rocket Scientist Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Welcome to the non-trad boards where you are not alone. :laugh:

I'm 26 and just completed my first semester of pre-reqs after six years in the Navy.

Good luck and keep at it!

6. craniopage

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yep. I have a BS in biology and MS in traditional Oriental medicine; retaking all prereqs starting this month. I'm 35 and will be 38 when I matriculate if all goes according to plan. In the beginning, I was very freaked out about my age and in a giant rush to apply. But, after absorbing the wisdom in these forums, I've realized that taking the time to do this right will give me the best outcome later. Just accepting that it's going to take a few years has been a big relief. I may be the class grandma...so what??

7. MSmentor018

MSmentor018 Hooah!
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    yep you're not alone, esp here in the non trad section! I got wounded in the military, worked odd jobs, got my BSN, did a number of years in the ER while doing my pre reqs, in my opinion, the biggest hurdle was the mcrap... MCAT!

hang in there, it's a long road but as long as you keep on course, it's definitely do able. take your time in applying, don't worry so much about your age. I was told by pre med advisors with avg grades/mcat it would be a long shot and the older you are, the more difficult. I don' know how much of that is truth vs BS...either way don't let anyone keep you from the dream. i am now in clinical rotations, finally the fun stuff!! good luck, feel free to PM me

8. Jacq

Jacq New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Right there with ya! 32 y.o. and starting post-bacc this year too.

Here's to 'Enjoying the ride!' :woot:

9. Boges

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Finishing last semester of prerequisites—just turned 39. It took me two years. I'm was a non-science major as an undergrad from long ago. Currently work full-time and go to school at night with a wife, a 2 year old, and two dogs at home.

It goes by pretty fast when you look back.

Best of luck!

10. doctor712

Removed 2+ Year Member

Hi there. I'm 35. "Formally start my informal" Post Bac Pre Med classes...tomorrow! I'll be 37 when I start med school if everything works out to plan, I'm on a fast pace. Or 38 if I need to continue for another year.

I've had the "typical non-trad" path of not being terribly interested in HS, early college days I had my head set on writing for TV. So, 18 years after graduating HS, 9 years after I truly fell in love with medicine, 9 and 5 years after having two children, I'm doing this. If all goes well, I'll start MD school at 37 or 38, end at 41 or 42. Residency to my mid 40s and work until they politely ask me to leave the O.R. I have mentors who are still walking around MD campuses in their late 70s, I want to be one of those guys. When you are passionate about something, when it's really a love affair, this is how the story should end.

So, you are in a worthy club. Remain focused on the goal and don't let life get in the way. Its natural desire is to do so, leaving it up to us to reach the goal.

What I'm finally realizing, late as it may be, is that this CAN be done. The rest is in our court.

Good luck!
    D712

#10 doctor712, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: May 30, 2009
  11. Bellonium

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm 27, just starting my science pre-reqs on Jan 14. I can only take one class at a time for the time being because of my full time job that I cant give up right now. I have my BA in computer science so I didn't have to have any science classes... It's going to take me a couple years to get my classes out of the way but I'll get there eventually. You're not alone. I think I'll be about 31 by the time I'm ready to apply as well. I think it's better to take your time and be totally prepared then try to rush things and try to take shortcuts.

Like what others have said above. Enjoy the ride. You're going to be 32yoa, 40yoa, 50+ might as well work on becoming something that you really want to be; if that's what you want.

12. DHV

DHV

I am 25, graduated with a B.S.EE in 2006. Plan on graduating with a M.S. in Engineering Mgt this fall 2009. Once that is done, I will start my pre-req :-s ... I'm close to graduating with my M.S. so I don't want to quit midway. I'm also working FT so probably will take two years to wrap up my pre-req ... but I think that it'll be worth it.

13. meatbone1

meatbone1 Female Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I will be 31-32 when I start med school, assuming I'll get in on 1st try.
    I will graduate with my undergrad this June and for fall 09 starting pre-req courses. you're not alone in this journey. good luck!

14. nyinjuly

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm starting my prereqs this summer- can't wait! I got my accounting degree (BBA) in 2006, became a CPA and worked since then. I'm suffering through a few more months of this job to pay the bills until I'm a student again. I'll be 24 when I start the prereqs, and depending on whether or not I link, I will start med school at 25 or 26.

15. Premed Mom

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was 25 when I started my pre-req's. I have my BA in International Development but realized at the end of college that I want to be a care provider, not just a policy-maker.

In 2006 I just signed up for classes at my state school and got my science classes done (minus the one semester each of chem and physics that I'd already completed) in 14 months. Took a semester to prep for the MCAT, then sat for it in Jan 2008. Applied as early as possible this year, had a baby over the summer (woo-hoo!) and now I'm in!

I really think my life experience has been an asset, making me a more attractive applicant and a much stronger student than I would have been coming out of undergrad.

I wish all of you the best of luck!

16. dgmarma

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks Premed Mom.... It is great to hear your story. It is nice to see when people actually find success. Somehow it justifies the process. Best of luck Next year!!

Congrats on the new baby, hold onto that nap time as long as you can. It is AMAZING what you can get done in an hour and a half!!!

17. SEK1208

2+ Year Member

Whew, good to know I am not alone!! I am 29yrs old, and recently got accepted into a post bac pre-health program in IL (Loyola) which would start in a few months, and take about 1.5-2 yrs. So I will be about 31/32 before applying to Med schools.

I have been thinking about just taking the 4 pre-reqs that I need for the school I am interested in (DO) at a community college rather than doing the whole post bac pre-health route. Any thoughts on this and whether the post bac pre-health program will increase my chances of getting into med school by alot??

Thanks!

18. StaceLynn7

StaceLynn7 OCD Planner
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey all. I'm right there with you. I'm 28 and just started my pre-reqs last semester. The only thing I have is CHEM I. I have a BS in Organizational Communication and am currently in the middle of an MBA with a specialization in Healthcare Administration.

I'm applying summer of 2010 and hoping to get accepted first try (fx crossed) to matriculate fall 2011. My last five semesters are all A's, but my overall GPA right now is 3.1. My graduate gpa is 4.0. Hoping to get a 40 on the MCAT.

Good luck to everyone.

19. MGMed

Pre-Medical
    I'm so glad a page like this exists:D! I myself am a non-traditional student. I got my RN from a local community college so I'm juggling my RN-to-BSN and pre-med's at the same time:eek:. I can count the number of pre-meds I have left on one hand and that is great news!

Like so many of you have said, We are all (God willing) going to be 30+, 40+, 50+ one day so we might as well be doing something we love in the process. I'm currently taking an Intro to Chem class at my community college becuase I want to be well prepared for O'Chem this fall. I was studying last night and couldn't help think how much fun it is to be a student:)...all the coffee shop/book store studying, and the cool multi-colored pens I buy...if only I could do it full time:(

I wish everyone the best of luck, and may med-school unite us one day:D
    -peace

20. HugzMonster

HugzMonster Will Hug Without Warning
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    27 here with a BBA in Management Information Systems. Former IBMer and just started my pre-reqs this quarter. Scheduled to be done with Gen Chem and Bio by the end of summer. OChem and Physics by the end of Spring 2010. Plan on applying for entering class of 2012.

Original UG GPA of 3.0

21. FutureDrB

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

HugZ,

Looks like we're on the exact same path. I'm also planning to be done with pre-reqs in Spring of 2010 for entry in 2012. :xf:

22. LustforLife

Pre-Medical
    25 year old ART MAJOR here! I took a lot of biology in college because it was so artistically inspiring to me. My best art always came out of times taking the hardest biology classes. Graduated magna. I've been teaching for the past three years, but the thought of spending thousands of dollars on teacher certification finally made me realize "Hey! You could spend thousands of dollars on something you care about even more!". I like being a teacher, but I think I would love being a doctor. I have to take all those hard science courses over the summer, and right now I'm brushing up on my math.

PreMed Mom! You are a warrior! What an amazing story!

23. Pr3 D3ntal

Pre-Dental
    Hugz,

I am also an IBM'er... I'm currently taking pre-reqs for Dental School... 26

B.S. Computer Science 3.2 GPA (2005)
    Currently Taking Organic Chem I

Pre-reqs complete by Summer 2009... Applying for D.D.S. program entry of 2010

24. sandals725

sandals725 pre-med student

Pre-Medical
    I just completed my pre-med prerequisite courses last semester, and i am finally in the process of preparing for the awful, dreaded MCAT! I am now 32 y/o, and I was 29 y/o when I started taking my prerequisites x3 yrs ago. I understand where you are coming from, and it took me 3 yrs since I worked FT while doing it. But what I say is that time is going to pass whether or not u are doing something with it....and ultimately when i turn 40, i don't want to look back and say "woulda, coulda, shoulda"......if you want it u can do it! besides, the time will go so fast, as it feels like yesterday i started on my quest to take pre-med courses! By the way, I too have a MEd as well........Have you been working during this time?, because if so it will be an asset for your application...i think that non-trad students have the advantage of real life work experience, unlike the traditional student straight out of college........hang in there, the next two years will fly by!!good luck:)

25. FutureDrB

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Sandals,

Thanks for the encouraging words... I just completed my M.Ed. and I have been working full-time for years (now at a hospital). I'll be applying for the 2011 cycle so I still have a couple of years before I complete my med school pre-reqs.

However, I do know that time flies by. I started taking college courses almost 10 years ago and it seems like yesterday, so I know 2 years is nothing.

Good look on the MCAT!

26. NJ BK

NJ BK Leo rising
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I am 31 yrs old, taking pre-reqs for the PA program (pathology assistant). I was in the non-profit industry for 10+years. My undergraduate degree is in psychology so I need to make up quite a bit. I have 1 class under my belt, taking 2 this semester, then have 6 more to go after that. I would like to be done by Summer 2010 and apply to start Summer 2011.

It's not easy, but I do have an encouraging story. A friend of mine just graduated med school this past summer. She had to go back and take pre-reqs because she had a liberal arts degree. It took her about 2 years but she did it. And soon she wil start her clinical rotations. When I look back on it it seems like the time just flew by!

:thumbup:

27. Inspire Aspire

Inspire Aspire Problem Resolver
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Welcome! You're not alone. Take Gen. Chem I this semester. B.S. in Computer Information Systems. It can be done just keep your focus on the present and your eyes on the prize. Also, Take joy in the small accomplishments like getting an "A" in each class.

28. elppaym

Pre-Medical
    I'm right there with you!

I'm 35 (actually at the end of this month), finishing up my second BS in Nursing (May 2010). Have Physics I &II and Orgo II to work on during the rest of 2010, and will be applying for 2012.

Already started studying for the MCAT, which I plan to take early 2011. I love the science's so its a good way to relax after my nursing classes :).

Like some, my early college years were not that stellar, but if you truly want it...just take the first step and once you do that you'll look back it will have truly gone by faster than you think!

29. 9000

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have already done my pre-reqs. Just like everyone else here I am a non-traditional student. I will have to do a post-bacc program in order to increase my chances for medical school. While it is not required to do a post-bacc program, it is advised by admissions, if for some reason your pre-req studies are not were they should be. This also further lets the medical schools you are serious about getting into the program.

30. HugzMonster

HugzMonster Will Hug Without Warning
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Nice to know there are some fellow IBM'ers (past or present) that are walking the path. I was with Rational Software group. Looks like you'll be in your professional program in no time. Best of luck!

31. DocSomeday

Pre-Medical
    This is my first post, the first step in a long process! I'm 24 with a BA in ministry and leadership, currently in grad. school getting a MS in marriage and family therapy. I have taken gen chem I & II. I've got one year left in grad school then two years undergrad taking OChem I & II, General Biology I & II, Physics I & II, Biochem and other general biology courses. My wife and I just had our first son and I'm working full time, but will someday realize the dream of becoming an MD! Any encouragement would be appreciated and I wanted to encourage everyone else, DON't GIVE UP, YOU CAN DO IT!!

32. MedicMD181

Pre-Medical
    I am also 29 years old, just starting pre-reqs. I have a bachelor's in psychology and a master's in education. I am also a paramedic so I do have a decent amount of clinical experience. I have almost no science coursework completed so I have about two years before I start the application process.

33. murfettie

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i'm turning 25 in 2009
    starting class in the summer of 2009. late may
    3.76 overall gpa.

34. Florida Cracker

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm 24 and am just starting on my pre-reqs. I went to grad school for history after my B.A. because I wanted to be a history prof. I succeeded in getting my M.A., but decided that I wanted a job that let me work with people more than just with ideas and theories.

I made the decision to get a job in public safety (cop or firefighter), but the economic downturn has turned the job market really sour in that industry. I moved to Arizona from Florida to be with my girlfriend and am facing out of state tuition now.

My brother has been researching med schools and in the process of helping him make the decision to go for it, I realized that I might be able to live out my high school dream (and my dad's dream for me :)) after all. I had gotten an EMT certification in prep to be a firefighter and I really enjoyed working in emergency medicine.

Now I think I want to be an ED physician or possibly a surgeon.

35. BWSTW

BWSTW The B's be ballin'
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I'm 28 and will be finishing up my undergrad next May. I am taking a year off to get some good MCAT study and shadowing time in before I apply for entry in 2012.

36. gatorgirl0308

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Do you do pre-req in a Post Bacc program or another Bachelors? I can't decide which route to take. I have a Bachelors in Business from India and a Masters from Florida. However, it seems that some schools ask for US bachelors and I have an evaluation from WES that got me into Masters. I dont have any science courses, so ust curious- how do you people like me start?:scared:

37. MedicineMike

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Im 24 and just starting my first pre-req this summer. I have a B.S. in consumer economics and worked for a little over a year in Commercial Real Estate. I absolutely hated it and am now working towards my passion of Medicine! Hopefully, this summer, fall '09, and spring '10 I can get all of my ducks in a row to apply for med school.....Dreading the MCAT with a full course load spring 2010 uggh :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:cool:

38. phunkeyfantom

phunkeyfantom What are words for when no one listens anymore?
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just turned 25 in April. Graduated with a degree in Anthropology and now I'm a case worker. Resigned from my job last month (this is my last month of full time employment) and I'll be starting my pre-reqs this summer. Nervous, but excited all at the same time :D

39. ntb963

Pre-Medical
    31 here, soon to be 32. Just started studying for my MCAT again (took it way back in 99). I have a BS in Chem/Bio but need to get into a Post Bac program to boost my GPA (3.0). I hope to take the MCAT this year. Post Bac at 33. Start Med school at 34.

I keep feeling like I need to push myself to try to get into a program by the fall but I will never be able to get my MCAT taken that soon. So, I keep trying to tell myself that my age doesn't matter and that I need to concentrate on getting things done well and not just quickly.

Glad to hear others in similar situations.

40. juicyndkarma11

Pre-Medical
    Hi, i am on the path to becoming a nontraditional student, i am about to ransfer from a jc to a uc as an English major, i want to do med school preqs (ochem, chem 1 year, physics 1 year etc) unfotunetly i maxed out the amount of units that are transfereabble, only science iv taken was oceanography and alg2, now after i get my bacheloers in english, what is the process or where do i go for my med school preqs? That is one thing i am lost at, like can i take it at the uc i got my degree from? or is it wise to take it saomewhere else? or another jc?:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

41. scurred09

2+ Year Member

I also got my B.S in M.I.S. back in 03. I just need ochem II and physic II, then the mcat and I will apply next year. I want to make sure I'm well prepared for the mcat. Good luck man or woman.

42. scurred09

2+ Year Member

Take your time my friend. It is better to do it right the first time. Medical school is not going anywhere.

43. MSmentor018

MSmentor018 Hooah!

Attending Physician
    anywhere you want...getting A's and good mcat score is the key. I did a CC b/c it had a better schedule and much, much cheaper. i've been asked where I got my degree from but never "where did I get my pre reqs from." as long as you meet the requirements and have the numbers, thats' all that matters. good luck, take your time. score well. :thumbup:

44. juicyndkarma11

Pre-Medical

Thanks this clears up so much information, CC is alot cheaper

45. MSmentor018

MSmentor018 Hooah!

Attending Physician
    also I don't know how AAMCAS/AAMCOS feel about online courses but if you're going to take some, check to see if your CC will accept those courses so they can be credited. if you have a hetic schedule, that's always an option.

46. SleepingJune

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    31 (going on 32) here. I'm not post-bacc, but going for my first degrees (Geography and Mol. Biology) at the moment after 4 years as an Army medic and another 5 as a surgical tech.

Gen chem sequence down, digging into more prereqs this summer. I'll be 34 when I app, 35 (hopefully) when I matriculate.

/em raises a glass to non-trads

47. miggis99

Pre-Medical
    I am your age, and I started this trip in your same boat when I decided it finally on August. Here is my email if you want to keep in touch, I will be so glad to hear your story and share mine. [email protected] We all need support because this decision was not an easy one.

48. MexicanDr

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Hello all-

I am 28 and 4 classes away from finishing my B.S. in Public Health. Still, I need to complete my pre-reqs and I think I might get a minor in Biology and another in Chemistry, this way, the pre-reqs will overlap with the minors, plus I will get some extra advance science classes(Biochemistry, Genetics, Embryology, Advance Physiology) under my belt, which again, will assist in raising that GPA.

I am looking to apply for med school at age 30, and hopefully matriculating at age 31.

I have worked for 2 years in the food industry as a Quality Assurance/Microbiologist and have a year as an EMT.

I will be looking for a part-time ER Tech position while completing my classes =o)

Welcome everyone and we are not alone!!

49. Medic2MD4me

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey all,

Right there with ya. I'm 26 now, will be starting my pre-reqs this summer. I completed my BS in '06, completed a paramedic course in '07 while working as an ER tech. Then I got into emergency management for the health department but missed the patient contact, so I tried getting back in public safety as a firefighter/paramedic. But like someone else said on here, the downward economy has really made that difficult and I've always felt the actual treatments we do are fairly minimal. I want to be able to diagnose and treat, in addition to an assessment and stabilization.

So, if prereqs go according to plan (I'm taking 2 a semester while working full time) I can start applying when I'm 29, graduate by 34, complete a residency in EM (at least that's where my heart lies for now) by 38, and be a physician for the next 30 some odd years of my life! :D Oh and start a family somewhere in that whole mix too.

50. Well, no degree here... I'll be 25 next month and have 11 college credits.