anyone else pi$$ed off by these "this school or that school" threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jojo123

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Look, if you are lucky enough to have the option of choosing your school for next year, shut up! For those of us languishing on waiting lists, it gets really abnoxious when you people come on here and post threads like "I have several amazing schools to choose from. Ohhhhh....poor me! What do I do? I only have until May 15th to decide." Look, there are hundreds and hundreds of people waiting for that spot you will be giving up. Why must you be so selfish as to prolong the torture for us? You all know which school you are going to pick, why must you wait until 11:59 on May 14th to do so? We all worked hard just like you did, and many of us have better numbers and more impressive applications. Why do you think you are entitled to greedily hang on to seats in medical schools that you don't want or need? DO US ALL A FAVOR, AND STOP ASKING FOR ADVICE ON WHICH AMAZING PROGRAM TO CHOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

:thumbup:

What do I do? What do I do?

Northwestern of UMich????

PLEASE Help me :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Jojo123 said:
Look, if you are lucky enough to have the option of choosing your school for next year, shut up! For those of us languishing on waiting lists, it gets really abnoxious when you people come on here and post threads like "I have several amazing schools to choose from. Ohhhhh....poor me! What do I do? I only have until May 15th to decide." Look, there are hundreds and hundreds of people waiting for that spot you will be giving up. Why must you be so selfish as to prolong the torture for us? You all know which school you are going to pick, why must you wait until 11:59 on May 14th to do so? We all worked hard just like you did, and many of us have better numbers and more impressive applications. Why do you think you are entitled to greedily hang on to seats in medical schools that you don't want or need? DO US ALL A FAVOR, AND STOP ASKING FOR ADVICE ON WHICH AMAZING PROGRAM TO CHOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!
dude try not to take it so personally

Calm down. Their questions and posts are just as valid as anyone else's. Applicants who received no interviews or have been rejected from all schools could write similar posts about "abnoxious" applicants such as yourself "whining" about being on waitlists when you at least still have a chance.

Bluntman said:

HAHAHA. You make my day. I feel your pain. Although I didn't apply to med schools yet, I was eagerly waiting for my decisions for my college admissions.

Whoa...someone's pi$$ed...

Calm down. These people are not making these posts in an attempt to gloat. They are not trying to wave their acceptances in the faces of the less fortunate. I give these forums more credit than that; I assume most posters with the credentials to get into these schools have enough integrity to know better. They are honestly conflicted, and this is a great resource for help.

It's rather pathetic that you are unable to deal with the success of others.

Out of curiosity, if they do not know which program to choose, how can they give up their seat in every other program? Wouldn't these topics then be beneficial to your cause?

+pity+
First of all, calm down, go rub one off, and get a life.
Yours truly,
Bone

BTW, don't hate the playa, hate the game. :horns:

i dont see what the deal is with those threads! i think most of them are boasting about their acceptances, really annoying :)
if you favor a certain school, just go with your instincts...all medical schools have similar cirriculums; therefore, technically one school doesnt have an advantage over the other! honestly, just choose for yourself and drop that existentialism ****! your experiences = your experiences, you have likes = people have dislikes...bottomline, be yourself

^No the alternative, baseing a life changing decision on the opinion of complete strangers is by far a better way to view the thing. The big problem is that they have allready made up their mind but either money, location, prestigue is pulling them towards the other school and they need to feel better about turning down that oppertunity.

hey, no one likes to read about the person who has to choose between full ride at pitt over michigan or penn, but what a bitter pill....... i certainly feel for all of the people wasting away on waitlists hoping and praying for a spot ANYWHERE, but come on man, even if you just have two schools to choose from, it can be a very difficult decision. i hope you get off of two waitlists so you can understand how myopic your diatribe was.

Jojo123 said:

That attitude will certainly get you a seat. You do know that medical schools admissions committees read SDN, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Touchdown said:
^No the alternative, baseing a life changing decision on the opinion of complete strangers is by far a better way to view the thing. The big problem is that they have allready made up their mind but either money, location, prestigue is pulling them towards the other school and they need to feel better about turning down that oppertunity.

The MCAT definitely shows your ability to think for yourself...grasp that!

MedicineNutt said:
The MCAT definitely shows your ability to think for yourself...grasp that!

What exactly about my quote said that they didnt? I was simply pointing out that 99% of those threads were useless because the person had allready made up their mind (usually to the school that made no sense to the average person, ie. turning down a full ride but hey its what they want and thats all that matters) and just havent realized it yet.

And as for someone hoping I get off two waitlists, that would be sweet! Of course I allready have them ranked and unless something drastic happens (full ride) I allready know which schools I would be going to. There is simply no need to attack (this goes for both sides.)

Touchdown said:
What exactly about my quote said that they didnt? I was simply pointing out that 99% of those threads were useless because the person had allready made up their mind (usually to the school that made no sense to the average person, ie. turning down a full ride but hey its what they want and thats all that matters) and just havent realized it yet.

And as for someone hoping I get off two waitlists, that would be sweet! Of course I allready have them ranked and unless something drastic happens (full ride) I allready know which schools I would be going to. There is simply no need to attack (this goes for both sides.)

"No the alternative, baseing a life changing decision on the opinion of complete strangers is by far a better way to view the thing" (your quote)

I mean most people have an idea of where they want to be...they went and witnessed everything a school has to offer! they must have some idea...

besides this quote here, i agree with you most of the way!

Jojo123 said:

You should keep the faith...everything is practically out of your hands now!

If the other people who get accepted feel the need to parade their acceptances by acting lost and confused (via their "help I can't choose" statement) then let them. Your time to shine will come. Put everything in perspective and realize that in the end, if you work hard enough, you will be able to experience the joy those people are experiencing.

good luck...take a breather...and enjoy life...be thankful that you have lived to see another day and hope that a med school has accepted you

have a good one jojo

The first sentance would be something I like to call scarcasm, with a hint of truth (you tell me why someone would actually post a thread like that other then my previous reasoning, which makes the point of how pointless those threads are and thus should be banned, my scarcasitic reasoning or the bragging reasoning.) Someone desperatly needs to invent a scarcasm font.

Touchdown said:
The first sentance would be something I like to call scarcasm, with a hint of truth (you tell me why someone would actually post a thread like that other then my previous reasoning, which makes the point of how pointless those threads are and thus should be banned, my scarcasitic reasoning or the bragging reasoning.) Someone desperatly needs to invent a scarcasm font.
That's a horrible idea. Why would you ever even suggest something like that.

Touchdown said:

uhhhm whatever you say...you have some kinda rye sense of humor! your call though...

If you don't like the title of a thread, don't read it. It's that simple.

i'm languishing on waitlists, but i'm not mad at anyone for waiting till 11:59pm on may 14th - they earned it, and i definitely hate the game, but have much respect for the player...

nimotsu said:
If you don't like the title of a thread, don't read it. It's that simple.

Amen. They can't annoy you if you don't read them.

as annoying as they may seem, sometimes people truly do have a difficult time deciding between schools...

however, with that being said, these thread types are an inevitable part of SDN, and occur in cycles (usually from Dec.-May)...Try not to get too offended/angered by them. You'd certainly keep your blood pressure down, and reduce the amt. of stress that they induce :)

docjolly said:
as annoying as they may seem, sometimes people truly do have a difficult time deciding between schools...

however, with that being said, these thread types are an inevitable part of SDN, and occur in cycles (usually from Dec.-May)...Try not to get too offended/angered by them. You'd certainly keep your blood pressure down, and reduce the amt. of stress that they induce :)

oh snap...25 days till my woman gets mad and raises weather hell

I think all the School X vs. School Y threads should just get their own subforum. The pre-allo board gets enough of them already, and it would be very easy to browse through the old threads to find a dilemma for almost any combination of schools if they were isolated from all the other multifarious threads here. For the applicants who get left standing in the rain, the contents of such threads are quite grating, but even seeing the thread titles on the main board is itself mildly annoying.

I don't hate people for being indecisive, but I wish those threads would just go away, or that people would utilize the search feature more often, rather than start new threads for a hackneyed debate. :thumbdown:

As previous posters have said, sometimes people are having a very hard time winnowing down the list and value what is said by others. It's not gloating, it's asking for advice - so if you don't want to give the advice, that's fine, but everyone has a right to post whatever they want (so long as it's relevent to pre-allo topics) on this board.

NOPE, you can always skip over it, i for one don't read 1/2 the stuff in here
& you better believe that next year, I'll make one everyday just b/c :smuggrin:

i'm also using them to help me pick schools (yeah the MSAR is great, but so are the opinions of actual ppl) or cross ones off if i was just midly interested in it

Well, I am currently holding five acceptances. I am not doing this to be mean, I just can't decide where to go. Sorry, May 15th will be here sooner than you poor souls can imagine.

Trail Boss said:
Well, I am currently holding five acceptances. I am not doing this to be mean, I just can't decide where to go. Sorry, May 15th will be here sooner than you poor souls can imagine. It's not my fault you couldn't get in first round--it is your fault.
Bro, if you can't narrow your choice down to something less than *5* schools at this point, then there's something wrong with you. And chill out with being such a dick on here...you probably already have most people hating you cause of your last sentence alone. :thumbdown:

Bluntman said:
Bro, if you can't narrow your choice down to something less than *5* schools at this point, then there's something wrong with you. And chill out with being such a dick on here...you probably already have most people hating you cause of your last sentence alone. :thumbdown:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Trail Boss said:
Well, I am currently holding five acceptances. I am not doing this to be mean, I just can't decide where to go. Sorry, May 15th will be here sooner than you poor souls can imagine. It's not my fault you couldn't get in first round--it is your fault.
WOW!! You are simply amazing. 5 acceptances??? Damn. Call me ;)
You'll be a great doc with that level of humility. :laugh:

Trail Boss said:

Excuse me? And what makes you so great? You really need to chill out. This whole process is impossible to figure out. Many very qualified people get put on waitlists for no real reason, and many less qualified people get accepted for the same spot. Nobody really knows why. You really have a lot of nerve blaming these people for not getting in. You don't know what their numbers are, or what they have accomplished....they may have done much better than you. Let me just tell you, there are many people on the forum who have their whole futures hanging on waitlists, and for you to condemn them that way was really stupid. That last sentence probably made you the most unpopular SDNer on here. And by the way, holding 5 acceptances? Please, how are you going to decide on how to treat a patient in a matter of minutes if you can't narrow down your choices when you have had several months?

As for TrailBoss holding 5 acceptances. Well, they *have* earned them. But as for being unable to make a decision and those of you who condemn him/her for that: perhaps trailboss will make a great pathologist. Keep all their options on the table until they absolutely CANNOT refute the evidence for cause of death.

potato51 said:
Calm down. Their questions and posts are just as valid as anyone else's. Applicants who received no interviews or have been rejected from all schools could write similar posts about "abnoxious" applicants such as yourself "whining" about being on waitlists when you at least still have a chance.

oh potato, you are so wise. this is word for word what i was going to say. well put!

i would HAPPILY make a decision right now if i could...in fact, i'm stressing so much over it that i may have a bit of strep throat at the moment! :scared:

may 15 is right around the corner...the waitlists will be flying at that point. what's the use in complaining right now?

btw i agree that these threads should be in a separate forum!

School X Vs. School Y threads are started by drama queens. Don't feed the drama queens!

If someone really wanted to know more about certain schools, that person would have asked in the allo forum, to students currently attending those schools.

Risa said:
oh potato, you are so wise. this is word for word what i was going to say. well put!

I agree with that too. If someone has a problem with those threads, then he/she doesn't have to read them. This is like the people that think that McDonald's is evil because eating the food could make people fat, but really, people don't need to eat there.

Honestly, I think that you could find someone that has a problem about any thread on here being annoying, but most people don't do anything about it.

somewhere2010 said:
i would HAPPILY make a decision right now if i could...in fact, i'm stressing so much over it that i may have a bit of strep throat at the moment! :scared:

may 15 is right around the corner...the waitlists will be flying at that point. what's the use in complaining right now?

btw i agree that these threads should be in a separate forum!

Well, that isn't how you really get strep...but you will learn that next year so I can forgive that

Also, I love the comments to Trail Boss, total genius Bluntman.

ShyRem said:

omg, did i say that? i think i meant dry sense of humor...my mind was a mess yesterday, excuse me! :)

I think you were hungry, medicinenutt. You were thinking of sandwiches and got "rye" instead of "wry". ;) :laugh:

ShyRem said:
I think you were hungry, medicinenutt. You were thinking of sandwiches and got "rye" instead of "wry". ;) :laugh:

matter in fact i was, but i ate a wonderful chicken sandwich (not the rye kind of bread..that stuff is expensive!)... ;)

Jojo123 said:

no need to be so angry. if you don't like that thread, don't click it. it saves you time.
why bother wasting your time on these threads if you hate them so much?

i think that some of the ppl who may b holding multiple accepts may also b stressing about may 15th just as much as we, the waitlist/pending/etc ppl r, its hard sometimes 2 make what someone might c as possibly one of the biggest commitments of their lives and having a deadline 2 do it. i can just imagine someone, esp the overstrung types, stressing and vacillating, should i go to X or Y? back and forth until may 15th comes. so maybe we should all take a chill pill...

the alchemist said:
i think that some of the ppl who may b holding multiple accepts may also b stressing about may 15th just as much as we, the waitlist/pending/etc ppl r, its hard sometimes 2 make what someone might c as possibly one of the biggest commitments of their lives and having a deadline 2 do it. i can just imagine someone, esp the overstrung types, stressing and vacillating, should i go to X or Y? back and forth until may 15th comes. so maybe we should all take a chill pill...

Shush. No one wants a voice of reason in a thread like this.

Trail Boss said:

To paraphrase a post on this board a couple of months ago:

Good luck with your decision, and I hope I don't see you in the fall.

ND2005 said:
To paraphrase a post on this board a couple of months ago:

Good luck with your decision, and I hope I don't see you in the fall.

You people have an attitude problem. Having myself posted a "here or here" thread I responded to the OP origional obvnoxious post about "shutting up". SDN is a place for discussion and advice, so I don't see the problem with asking for it. Deciding on a school is not easy, especially when you don't have complete fin aid info or know if you have gotten into special programs that you want. I appreciate the anxiety that you all feel because it wan't that long ago that I felt it too, but just because some of us are holding multiple acceptances doesn't mean that we are gunning for your self confidnece, it just means that we don't want to make a bad decision that will come back to haunt us in the near future, and I think that is fair. We all know that there is a fair bit of chance in who get into medical school, but you will hear that a lot more about that talking to people who didn't get in than from those who did. Some of you will get in and you will deserve to, some of will not get and maybe you deserved to and maybe you really didn't. Whatever the case forgive me if I came across as terroristic with my "it you own fault" comment, but I don't see why I am supposed to tolerate sarcasm and rudness and you all are not. May 15th will be here very soon, so you should all just chill for a week and a half. Until I can make the decision that I have earned the right to make, I will ask advice whenever I feel like it, if you don't like it then don't read the "here or here posts"

The non-anal-premed thing to do, instead of making an inflammatory thread, would have been to just ignore the threads you don't like.

PS - I like this thread.

Trail Boss said:
You people have an attitude problem. Having myself posted a "here or here" thread I responded to the OP origional obvnoxious post about "shutting up". SDN is a place for discussion and advice, so I don't see the problem with asking for it. Deciding on a school is not easy, especially when you don't have complete fin aid info or know if you have gotten into special programs that you want. I appreciate the anxiety that you all feel because it wan't that long ago that I felt it too, but just because some of us are holding multiple acceptances doesn't mean that we are gunning for your self confidnece, it just means that we don't want to make a bad decision that will come back to haunt us in the near future, and I think that is fair. We all know that there is a fair bit of chance in who get into medical school, but you will hear that a lot more about that talking to people who didn't get in than from those who did. Some of you will get in and you will deserve to, some of will not get and maybe you deserved to and maybe you really didn't. Whatever the case forgive me if I came across as terroristic with my "it you own fault" comment, but I don't see why I am supposed to tolerate sarcasm and rudness and you all are not. May 15th will be here very soon, so you should all just chill for a week and a half. Until I can make the decision that I have earned the right to make, I will ask advice whenever I feel like it, if you don't like it then don't read the "here or here posts"

Can you feel the empathy in this thread? :love: