Nov 24, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi Everyone.
A fellow non-trad here, early 30's , and an a long time lurker. I've registered to take the MCAT next summer. I'm giving myself only one chance to take the MCAT. If i don't do well, then medical school is not for me, i'm not retaking the exam. If i score in the mid 20's i'll apply to low tier schools, and if i'm not accepted then no medical school for me. I'm curious if other non-trads have a similar all or nothing plan. The main reason i want to become a physician is to leverage the U.S network to work with global organizations on international healthcare policies in third world countries. I think the U.S has enough physicians. However, the design of the U.S. healthcare system is a barrier for the optimal utilization of current physicians. Without major improvements within the system they'll always be claims of physician shortage. The real physician shortage is outside of the U.S.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
That was my plan. If I hadn't done well on the MCAT, I would not have retaken it. If I had not gotten accepted the first time I applied, I would not have reapplied. I was applying for post docs at the same time that I was applying for medical school. What is your backup plan if you don't get in?

MedWonk

高飛車
7+ Year Member
May 13, 2010
New England
Status
Medical Student
Realistically, I was giving myself two chances for the MCAT, but I treated it as if I only had one shot with the thought that unless the second one is significantly better, then my strongest application will have a solid MCAT obtained on the first go. I think going in with the mindset of getting it done the first time is good, but don't put so much pressure on yourself that you burn out by test day. If you're dead set on MD, then you need to aim for at least a 30, but really as high as you can get. If get in the upper 20s, you could be solid for DO depending on your GPA, and maybe also lower-tier MD if you a stellar GPA and excellent ECs. Mid 20s I would consider retaking. At a very base minimum, you would want at least a 27, but this is assuming you're open to DO and you have at least a 3.3. If you're only open to MD, then the bare minimum I would be satisfied with is a 30 and at least a 3.5. The bare minimum will still mean the odds are against you getting in, though.

If I didn't get in this cycle, I'm not sure I would've tried to apply a second time. Maybe I would've done an SMP, but they sound a bit risky. I probably would've only considered the BU SMP as it allows one to get an MPH in the process (takes two years, though). At least then, I would've had a back up plan of working in public health which I totally would've been happy with. Back up plans are important, as Q mentions above.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Hi Everyone.
A fellow non-trad here, early 30's , and an a long time lurker. I've registered to take the MCAT next summer. I'm giving myself only one chance to take the MCAT. If i don't do well, then medical school is not for me, i'm not retaking the exam. If i score in the mid 20's i'll apply to low tier schools, and if i'm not accepted then no medical school for me. I'm curious if other non-trads have a similar all or nothing plan. The main reason i want to become a physician is to leverage the U.S network to work with global organizations on international healthcare policies in third world countries. I think the U.S has enough physicians. However, the design of the U.S. healthcare system is a barrier for the optimal utilization of current physicians. Without major improvements within the system they'll always be claims of physician shortage. The real physician shortage is outside of the U.S.
Even if you were open to taking it again, you should really treat it as a single shot anyhow because you can hurt your chances with some schools if you have retakes.

I think you might have another bigger hurdle with med schools though because most schools have stated missions to train clinicians and researchers for the US or local states therein (paricularly those "low tier" schools you are targeting) so your goal might not fit most schools charters. most people don't think "the US has enough physicians" (they are just poorly distributed) and so your seat might be thought better served by someone hoping to use their talents as a Clinician here. Also if you don't plan to actually practice here I wonder if a US med school degree is really that important (as opposed to an offshore path, which may not even require the MCAT. Just saying).

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Sounds like you should get into a public hospital or free clinic here in the US, if you think the US doesn't need help. I see third world pathology every week.

Also, unless you're independently wealthy, you'll need to work in the US for many years to pay off med school, which averages $250k. Orgs like MSF can get your loans deferred, but you still have to pay them off.

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Sounds like you should get into a public hospital or free clinic here in the US, if you think the US doesn't need help. I see third world pathology every week.

Also, unless you're independently wealthy, you'll need to work in the US for many years to pay off med school, which averages $250k. Orgs like MSF can get your loans deferred, but you still have to pay them off.
Agreed, lots of pathology in South Texas, Nevada, NM, Alaska, Montana, Oregon, Colorado etc. Crazy stuff walks into the office every day.

TeddyBoomBoom

7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2011
Williamstown, NJ
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
Hi Everyone.
A fellow non-trad here, early 30's , and an a long time lurker. I've registered to take the MCAT next summer. I'm giving myself only one chance to take the MCAT. If i don't do well, then medical school is not for me, i'm not retaking the exam.
You're going to let your performance on a single 4hr test dictate your career choice??

I don't get it...

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
You're going to let your performance on a single 4hr test dictate your career choice??

I don't get it...
IT's only 4 hours now? Wow, when I took it, it was 8 hours. You guys are lucky.

Jun 18, 2010
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi Everyone.
That is my plan, too. I will put my best effort into it, take it once and apply once. And if I don't get in then I can't waste any more time. Then I would just take the GRE, go to PA school and be done in 2 years. And that's it :)

Oct 19, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
I don't plan on taking mine again. I got a 29 and I'm happy with that. Hopefully my state school will feel the same. :)

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
I don't plan on taking mine again. I got a 29 and I'm happy with that. Hopefully my state school will feel the same. :)
Yah,, I would be really happy with that.