drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2005
2,596
1
Santa MONICA
Status
i've got a midterm at 1230 and ochem quiz at 2. i started studying at around 10 pm tonight, after i saw get rich or die trying. this is usually how i do things. it should work out. but i'll be f-ing tired by the time of my midterm tomorrow. anyone else gonna be up all night? and i dont say all night meaning i'll be in bed by 4. i mean ALL night. no f-ing around.
-mota
 

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
1,164
1
34
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
DaMota said:
i've got a midterm at 1230 and ochem quiz at 2. i started studying at around 10 pm tonight, after i saw get rich or die trying. this is usually how i do things. it should work out. but i'll be f-ing tired by the time of my midterm tomorrow. anyone else gonna be up all night? and i dont say all night meaning i'll be in bed by 4. i mean ALL night. no f-ing around.
-mota
Yep yep, I'm going to be up ALL night as well. This is for a paper though...a very difficult research paper in which I must refer to about 20 sources and have 8-10 pages. I've been fuking around for the past couple of hours and it's now 2:40am(so like only 11:40 for you I assume). Haven't started yet...just thought about it. I'm about to write my first words now. Omg, kill me. Due at 9:00am.
 

Camillekc

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2005
175
1
New York
Status
paper, 2 lab reports due, spanish composition. I like to think that I just got up really early for tomorrow, yesterday.
 

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
3,130
3
36
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yay! I'm not the only one.

I have an exam on Friday, but it seems like the best time to study is at night because I live in a basement apartment (woohoo) and during the daytime the family above me is kind of noisy.
 

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
1,164
1
34
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
This sucks for my training plan, I really hate losing sleep and having to reconfigure my meals + shiz because of school. Don't want to eat now, but then again it might be better to eat now instead of later since I'll just be up through the night. ACK! Decisions, decisions. Okay so...yeah...paper, right?
 

NCF145

Not Politically Correct
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
3,138
3
The Beach
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have my first chapter of my thesis due at the end of the month. I know it is a long ways away, but I want to finish it by the end of the week (15 page minimun) so that I can polish it up as much as possible by the due date. But at 1:46 am and 5 pages written I don't want to stay up all night and write anymore. So I have been playing online texas hold 'em for the past 30 minutes and plan to go to bed in the next 30 min.
 

DrHuang

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
772
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
tacrum43 said:
Yay! I'm not the only one.

I have an exam on Friday, but it seems like the best time to study is at night because I live in a basement apartment (woohoo) and during the daytime the family above me is kind of noisy.
what exam ya got tacrum? embryo? CMP?
 

astrife

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2005
427
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Turkeyman said:
This sucks for my training plan, I really hate losing sleep and having to reconfigure my meals + shiz because of school. Don't want to eat now, but then again it might be better to eat now instead of later since I'll just be up through the night. ACK! Decisions, decisions. Okay so...yeah...paper, right?
I'm really hoping I can manage college better than my high school classes right now. I'm taking 5 AP classes, and 1 regular. That is roughly 35 hours a week in classes that I actually have to do work in and not slack off. Then I have to do 2-4 of homework and studying a night to maintain my grades. I just cannot think right after school so I usually put off doing everything till at least 8, and with breaks and what not I usually end up asleep around 2.

Every friday I get home and take a sleeping pill and wake up late saturday day. Then I eat and take another sleeping pill and wake up sunday morning. And start fresh to continue the cycle next week. Kill me now.....
 

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
3,130
3
36
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
gintien said:
what exam ya got tacrum? embryo? CMP?
CMP. Ugh, biochem is not favorite subject. I think I finally have the regulation of phosphofructokinase I down now. I couldn't believe how complicated that was!

Embryo is long gone now. I think they should call that class "How to build a human in 30 days". :)

edit: well, "Learn how to build a human in 30 days", after all we don't actually build them.
 

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
1,164
1
34
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
gintien said:
what exam ya got tacrum? embryo? CMP?
Are both you and tacrum in the SMP at Georgetown? How do you like it? My cousin went through it, and said it prepared him for med school pretty well since some of the classes you take are with actual medical students. I was considering applying to this program if this application cycle doesn't work out...any thoughts?
 
OP
drmota

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2005
2,596
1
Santa MONICA
Status
sweet this is awesome. i thought all other pre-meds went to bed by midnight. i only get work done when there's NOTHING else going on around me (i.e. no distractions). that is when i am at peace and can get some work done. politics of eastern europe = BOOOOORING though. and my professor assigned 800 pages of reading since the last midterm (4 weeks ago). i've made it through like 300 so far.
-mota
 

NCF145

Not Politically Correct
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
3,138
3
The Beach
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally quoted by astrife
Every friday I get home and take a sleeping pill and wake up late saturday day. Then I eat and take another sleeping pill and wake up sunday morning. And start fresh to continue the cycle next week.
Yeah.....ummm wow. I'm speechless.
 
OP
drmota

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2005
2,596
1
Santa MONICA
Status
astrife said:
I'm really hoping I can manage college better than my high school classes right now. I'm taking 5 AP classes, and 1 regular. That is roughly 35 hours a week in classes that I actually have to do work in and not slack off. Then I have to do 2-4 of homework and studying a night to maintain my grades. I just cannot think right after school so I usually put off doing everything till at least 8, and with breaks and what not I usually end up asleep around 2.

Every friday I get home and take a sleeping pill and wake up late saturday day. Then I eat and take another sleeping pill and wake up sunday morning. And start fresh to continue the cycle next week. Kill me now.....
don't worry, nobody in college goes to sleep before 2 (except for pre-meds, see post above).
-mota
 

NCF145

Not Politically Correct
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
3,138
3
The Beach
Status
Resident [Any Field]
On average night, if I am asleep by 3 it is a good night. :sleep:
 

DrHuang

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2003
772
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
tacrum43 said:
CMP. Ugh, biochem is not favorite subject. I think I finally have the regulation of phosphofructokinase I down now. I couldn't believe how complicated that was!

Embryo is long gone now. I think they should call that class "How to build a human in 30 days". :)
ahh...good ol sherman and his CMP...i actually got a B+ in the class...went into the final with an A, got cocky and got reamed on the final...i actually ended up with a B but he forgot about my extra credit and i was real close anyways and he bumped me up...if you see him, tell dr. sherman i said hi...he was my advisor :)


Turkeyman said:
Are both you and tacrum in the SMP at Georgetown? How do you like it? My cousin went through it, and said it prepared him for med school pretty well since some of the classes you take are with actual medical students. I was considering applying to this program if this application cycle doesn't work out...any thoughts?
turkeyman, the 3 main SMP's are georgetowns, bostons, and Rosanlind Franklins. I personally thought the GT SMP was great...i had alot of fun there and although I didnt get into med school last year, i got in early this year with 2 more interviews to go...i highly recommend GT SMP and if you have any questions, go ahead and PM me or look at on the 'post bacc' boards.

edit: im ex SMPer
 

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
3,130
3
36
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
astrife said:
I'm really hoping I can manage college better than my high school classes right now. I'm taking 5 AP classes, and 1 regular. That is roughly 35 hours a week in classes that I actually have to do work in and not slack off. Then I have to do 2-4 of homework and studying a night to maintain my grades. I just cannot think right after school so I usually put off doing everything till at least 8, and with breaks and what not I usually end up asleep around 2.

Every friday I get home and take a sleeping pill and wake up late saturday day. Then I eat and take another sleeping pill and wake up sunday morning. And start fresh to continue the cycle next week. Kill me now.....
Yikes, what high school do you go to?

I'm not sure that I actually studied for a test in high school.
 

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
1,164
1
34
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
Cool, thx for the info gintien I just might send you that PM and astrife, dude -- you'll be spending less time in class in college. There's a big change-over and I believe you'll find it fits your style a bit more. The whole sleeping pill/sleeping for an entire day thing is pretty crazy though hahah. 5 AP classes as well...I can't even think of 5 that were worth my time -- just AP Bio, Chem, Comp Sci, Calc...ok so 4. Haha.
 

astrife

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2005
427
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I go to a public school in Arkansas... ha! imagine that...

We actually have the number one rated AP program in the state... and rougly 20-30 kids in my class will probably get into top 30 undergrads... so it's competitive... but not too bad

All the pressure I'm under is self imposed though... it's not as if my classes force me to work
 

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
1,164
1
34
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
NCF145 said:
On average night, if I am asleep by 3 it is a good night. :sleep:
Just keep playing your card game and laughing at us!

haha jk, if I had to write that thesis I'd kill myself :D

Then again I won't make it to the end of the month because I'm Turkeyman and will be annhialated by hungry families nation-wide. Need to hide...

edit: annihilated...
 

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
3,130
3
36
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
astrife said:
All the pressure I'm under is self imposed though... it's not as if my classes force me to work
Does the term "burnout" mean anything to you?
 
OP
drmota

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2005
2,596
1
Santa MONICA
Status
Turkeyman said:
Just keep playing your card game and laughing at us!

haha jk, if I had to write that thesis I'd kill myself :D

Then again I won't make it to the end of the month because I'm Turkeyman and will be annhialated by hungry families nation-wide. Need to hide...

edit: annihilated...
tukeyman- get to work. you're posting too often.
-mota
 

astrife

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2005
427
0
Status
Pre-Medical
tacrum43 said:
Does the term "burnout" mean anything to you?
Somehow kids work just as hard as I do through high school... college... and even medical school... and experience little if any burnout...

I know how to keep my likelyhood of burn-out low. Mostly it kind of goes like this... I take my breaks seriously... every vacation... every summer break... is spent in relaxation to the max with some alcohol interspersed....

Also the thing that always seems to prompt my burnout in other areas (ex sports) is I think over the long term what is the time im putting into this going to net me in the future.... and with this whole academics thing... its going to net quite alot...
 

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
3,130
3
36
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
astrife said:
Somehow kids work just as hard as I do through high school... college... and even medical school... and experience little if any burnout...

I know how to keep my likelyhood of burn-out low. Mostly it kind of goes like this... I take my breaks seriously... every vacation... every summer break... is spent in relaxation to the max with some alcohol interspersed....

Also the thing that always seems to prompt my burnout in other areas (ex sports) is I think over the long term what is the time im putting into this going to net me in the future.... and with this whole academics thing... its going to net quite alot...
Okay. Work hard/play hard huh? Just don't get caught with a minor in possession, that will definitely be detrimental to your med school app.
 

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
3,130
3
36
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Turkeyman said:
Yeah I've got to shut up! K, no posting for at least another 15 minutes...
That means no reading other threads either. Actual work only! :p
 
OP
drmota

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2005
2,596
1
Santa MONICA
Status
astrife said:
Somehow kids work just as hard as I do through high school... college... and even medical school... and experience little if any burnout...

I know how to keep my likelyhood of burn-out low. Mostly it kind of goes like this... I take my breaks seriously... every vacation... every summer break... is spent in relaxation to the max with some alcohol interspersed....

Also the thing that always seems to prompt my burnout in other areas (ex sports) is I think over the long term what is the time im putting into this going to net me in the future.... and with this whole academics thing... its going to net quite alot...
your naive innocence is very adorable.
-mota
 

astrife

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2005
427
0
Status
Pre-Medical
glad I am of some use to people on this board (ie being adorable)...

shouldn't you be studying for a midterm or something?
 
OP
drmota

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2005
2,596
1
Santa MONICA
Status
astrife said:
glad I am of some use to people on this board (ie being adorable)...

shouldn't you be studying for a midterm or something?
haha. yes. i wasn't putting you down. your posts are just kind of a nostalgic look into my own past (i took 5 APs my senior year too). i guess you really do grow up in college and you helped me realize that. don't be offended. that wasn't my intention.
-mota
 

Stroganoff

Never give up.
15+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2003
42,218
24,758
Turkeyman said:
Yep yep, I'm going to be up ALL night as well. This is for a paper though...a very difficult research paper in which I must refer to about 20 sources and have 8-10 pages. I've been fuking around for the past couple of hours and it's now 2:40am(so like only 11:40 for you I assume). Haven't started yet...just thought about it. I'm about to write my first words now. Omg, kill me. Due at 9:00am.
Same here dude. 7-10 page paper (serious paper, MLA, sources) and a 2-3 page paper (complete BS paper).

Get the F*** off SDN! Everyone!
 

Daichi Katase

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2004
498
0
Status
I have decided I am not sleeping till i write a "letter of intent." I have got a good outline so far...not bad.
 

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
1,164
1
34
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
I think that was at least 15 minutes. I'm making progress! Didn't browse for those 15 minutes either, just wrote!

Dallenoff said:
Same here dude. 7-10 page paper (serious paper, MLA, sources) and a 2-3 page paper (complete BS paper).

Get the F*** off SDN! Everyone!
Good luck dude. Nice avatar by the way hahaha, gotta love the domokuns.

And yeah, scatter!
 

SearsTower

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2005
310
0
Status
Pre-Medical
astrife said:
I'm really hoping I can manage college better than my high school classes right now. I'm taking 5 AP classes, and 1 regular. That is roughly 35 hours a week in classes that I actually have to do work in and not slack off. Then I have to do 2-4 of homework and studying a night to maintain my grades. I just cannot think right after school so I usually put off doing everything till at least 8, and with breaks and what not I usually end up asleep around 2.

Every friday I get home and take a sleeping pill and wake up late saturday day. Then I eat and take another sleeping pill and wake up sunday morning. And start fresh to continue the cycle next week. Kill me now.....

astrife you are a super nerd.
 

tank you

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
2,293
1
36
california
www.last.fm
Status
i had a pretty rough night so far.
i went to the airport to pick up my brother (coming from berkeley).
apparantely drove over a nail, flat tire, called aaa, replaced with spare in trunk.
get on 10, drive like 10 miles, spare tire goes flat, call aaa, tows car home, had to pay $30 fee.
so yea...
 
OP
drmota

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2005
2,596
1
Santa MONICA
Status
jtank said:
i had a pretty rough night so far.
i went to the airport to pick up my brother (coming from berkeley).
apparantely drove over a nail, flat tire, called aaa, replaced with spare in trunk.
get on 10, drive like 10 miles, spare tire goes flat, call aaa, tows car home, had to pay $30 fee.
so yea...
jtank - you go to berkeley?! had no idea. sorry about the flat tires. make your brother buy you some kingpin.

-mota
 
OP
drmota

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2005
2,596
1
Santa MONICA
Status
on a positive note, i'll be up at 5 am at which time i can start checking my email every 10 minutes to potentially hear from east coast schools. holler
-mota
 

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
1,164
1
34
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
jtank said:
i had a pretty rough night so far.
i went to the airport to pick up my brother (coming from berkeley).
apparantely drove over a nail, flat tire, called aaa, replaced with spare in trunk.
get on 10, drive like 10 miles, spare tire goes flat, call aaa, tows car home, had to pay $30 fee.
so yea...
You need some sleep :D
 

tank you

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
2,293
1
36
california
www.last.fm
Status
DaMota said:
jtank - you go to berkeley?! had no idea. sorry about the flat tires. make your brother buy you some kingpin.

-mota
no my brother does, i go to uc irvine.
we need some fun here on sdn right now, someone do something!
 

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
3,130
3
36
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
DaMota said:
jtank - you go to berkeley?! had no idea. sorry about the flat tires. make your brother buy you some kingpin.

-mota
No, jtank is an Irvine anteater. :)

Well I think I'm gonna go to bed now. My test isn't actually until Friday, and my vision is getting a little hazy now. :sleep:
 
OP
drmota

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2005
2,596
1
Santa MONICA
Status
turkey, how you holdin up? i'm feelin kinda nauseous. its not that 3 am's late, its more the prospect of what's ahead of me.
-mota
 

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
1,164
1
34
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
Yeah I know what ya mean. It's 6:20am here, and the paper is due close to 9:00am(or that's when I have to leave the house) so I'm scrambling. Got 4-5 pages done...still need about 4-5 more. Must hustle! How many more pages you have to read?
 
OP
drmota

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2005
2,596
1
Santa MONICA
Status
Turkeyman said:
Yeah I know what ya mean. It's 6:20am here, and the paper is due close to 9:00am(or that's when I have to leave the house) so I'm scrambling. Got 4-5 pages done...still need about 4-5 more. Must hustle! How many more pages you have to read?
like 300. i've moved onto just reviewing my notes. just had some yogurt to quell the potential vomiting. by the way do you have a maryland interview yet? i'm assuming you applied there. keep the writing going. we are the real troopers.
-mota
 

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
1,164
1
34
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
Yeap, my only two interviews were/are UMaryland and USUHS.
I made an omelette earlier around 4:45am...it's helping a bit. Writer's block now though, sucks. Troopers unite, looks like everyone left us bahah.
 
OP
drmota

drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2005
2,596
1
Santa MONICA
Status
Turkeyman said:
Yeap, my only two interviews were/are UMaryland and USUHS.
I made an omelette earlier around 4:45am...it's helping a bit. Writer's block now though, sucks. Troopers unite, looks like everyone left us bahah.
this forum's about as bumpin as an anorexics anonymous potluck dinner.
-mota
 

Turkeyman

Trickster Poultry
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2004
1,164
1
34
Silver Spring, Maryland
Status
Hahahah thats bumpin alright

edit: I can't bull**** anymore, I'll just start copying paragraphs from before...
 

synapse lapse

tokyo robotic
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2003
1,671
3
future
Status
Attending Physician
Haha I pulled all nighters about 2 times a week atleast in undergrad, mainly just cause I'm an insomniac. I'll probably be going to be going to bed in bit for a few hours, biochem test tomorrow.