Anyone else scared to open their MCAT results?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by nmehta, Oct 23, 2000.

1. nmehta

nmehta Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I just received it today, and I have been thinking about it for two months. I know how much pressure there is on doing well on this, and how it can make or break an application. I just hope I did well. Anyways, I was so scared because I did well the first time I took it, but I am afraid of going down, and kissing medschool goodbye. So I thought to myself all day today at work, and decided to not open it until I ever received an acceptance from medical school. Then I will know it doesn't make any difference.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. alexcc_ms

alexcc_ms Member
    10+ Year Member

You're stupid. Didn't you study this time? Knew what to expect and all that stuff. To tell the truth I was scared to answer this post.

4. Doc Oc

Doc Oc Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The ostrich approach is a mistake. At some interviews, if you have taken the MCAT twice, they ask what you thought of your improvement, how you studied the second time, etc. I took the MCAt twice before applying and have been asked about it at two interviews. I think that if I did not know what my second scores were, I may not have been able to answer a few questions I was asked as well as I could have. The MCAT is over and done with, and the scores won't get any higher the longer they sit in the envelope [​IMG] Who knows, maybe you did excellent. Wouldn't it be great to carry that knwoledge and confidence into an interview? just my .02 .

5. nmehta

nmehta Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I forgot that I posted this. I was just nervous, and going through a rough period. I opened them and was pleasantly surprised. Sorry for the whining from before.

6. Jacky

Jacky Member
    10+ Year Member

Well....let the cat out, already? (Don't mean to pry, but it would be great to hear the disparity between attempts!)

7. nmehta

nmehta Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't want to make this a numbers game and have everybody whipping out their calculators figuring out their percent chances at schools they applied. However, I will say, that I did go up, and that my score was already above average for Osteopathic schools. In fact part of my nervousness was that I asked a DO school admissions counselor whether i should take it again, and she told me to "let sleeping dogs lie."

8. alexcc_ms

alexcc_ms Member
    10+ Year Member

Translation: I'm smarter than most of you...
    Just pullin' your leg, don't get your feathers ruffled.
    Congrats on the improvement. How many points did you go up? How bout your writing?

9. nmehta

nmehta Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

No, i am not saying I am saying that I am smarter than anyone here. I am also one of the few people that has not posted in the acceptances thread...but I did improve by two points in biology and by one letter in writing, which is not bad for a non-science major [​IMG]

Best of luck to all.