Anyone else sruggling w/the decision to Re-apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CariesMcGee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far I've been waitlisted at 3 schools. This year was my first year applying, I decided late in my undergrad to pursue dentistry, so I already feel much older than the average applicant. I'll be turning 27 soon and I'm really struggling, trying to make a decision whether to re-take the DAT, try and get some new LOR's, bla bla bla and all the other hoops you have to jump through to apply. Anyway, I just wanted to open up a thread for any others who are in this position, and what your thoughts are. I really would love a career in dentistry, I love everything about it, I started pursuing dentistry because I would love nothing more than to travel to underprivileged countries and do service work. I know people say.. "well if it's really what you want to do, go for it," but when do you approach the point of reality and have to say to yourself "damn, I'm getting old, I need a real job, I need to get on with my life rather than what seems like wasting my time dabbling in the unknowns of a career in dentistry.
Anyway, I think I've somewhat covered whatever thoughts I was having.
I'd love to hear stories, hope, or the like of anyone going through anything similar.

Members don't see this ad.

first of all, you aren't old. I was 27 when i *returned* to school to get my BS in biology so I could be a good dental candidate.

Second, as a reapplicant myself, i know it is difficult to think about doing everything again, but hopefully you learned something this cycle that you can apply to next year's application to make it better. As they said, if it is what you really want, then you should do what it takes.

I would recommend taking the DAT again to at least get your scores above 18.

In terms of when to give up and do something different, only you can make that decision. When you reach the point when you feel you have really given it everything you had and there is just no way to be a better applicant and you still don't get in, that might be the signal. Who knows? Maybe you find something you like in the meantime while you're reapplying. Keep yourself busy and see what happens.

Oh, and being waitlisted isnt the worst thing in the world. best of luck.

I was waitlisted at 3 schools last year.... and unfortunately, never got off of them. So... I got an assisting job to build up some experience, and applied again. It sometimes only takes one little thing to tip the scales.

Getting on to 3 waitlists is a pretty good thing though. It shows that the schools like you and want you... but there is one little thing lacking. All you need to do is find that lacking area and fix it. I agree with Lemoncurry that your weak area might be your DAT score. Lucky for you, a test score is an easy fix (with the right motivation). All you gotta do is study study study... and you can bring it up :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Boy, if you call 27 old, I am ancient!! I'll be 40 yo + 1 day when I start dental school classes this fall. A few years ago when I first contemplated applying to dental school, I thought it wouldn't happen because of my age. Luckily I didn't let that stop me. I had to apply twice but I got accepted to two schools.
Also, at one of my interviews, I was told that there are at least 50% of qualified applicants that have to apply more than once before getting in. Don't give up if dentistry is your dream! Call the schools where you are waitlisted and see what they recommend. Not only does it give you some focus, but it also gets your name in front of them one more time. Good luck! You can do it!

I think you have to retake the dat, my friend. Things have gotten a lot more competitive unfortunately, but you shouldn't let that deter you from your dreams.

You might also consider establishing residency in another state such as Nevada.

Getting waitlisted is tough to handle when you're revved up and ready to start dental school, especially if you are used to getting what you want / excelling at everything you do. Like me! I haven't 'formally' been rejected this year, but it is not looking good, so I will likely be re-applying next year.

It sounds like you really need to think about your drive and desire to become a dentist. If a year's delay is enough to turn you off from dentistry, is it really your calling or passion?

27 isn't old. I am 32 now and have given up a healthy paycheck as an engineer, after spending years in school earning a BS and MS, to become a dentist. As someone told me recently, "What difference does it make if you retire at 65 rather than 64?" In the long run, a year delay isn't a big deal. You will still have 30+ years to enjoy a fulfilling career and serve your community.

Use the delay to learn: contact the schools to see if you can get feedback on your application so you can improve it for next cycle, get additional experience shadowing/assisting, volunteer more, study like a madman and retake the DAT (study like your life depends on it!!!), have your AADSAS application together so you can submit it early (i.e. day 1), take additional coursework as necessary, review your personal statement and have others critique it, rewrite it if necessary, etc.

I wish you the best and good luck in your decision.

brian

We are not alone, apparently! I am currently 28 years old, applied to 10 schools for the first time this year, have had one interview and no acceptances. I haven't given up hope, but I'll admit it doesn't look great. I would not think twice about re-applying next year, though. After going back to undergrad 3 years ago, I've known this is what I want to do and WILL get in eventually. I just need to work harder to get there. Keep on truckin and follow your dreams.

So far I've been waitlisted at 3 schools. This year was my first year applying, I decided late in my undergrad to pursue dentistry, so I already feel much older than the average applicant. I'll be turning 27 soon and I'm really struggling, trying to make a decision whether to re-take the DAT, try and get some new LOR's, bla bla bla and all the other hoops you have to jump through to apply. Anyway, I just wanted to open up a thread for any others who are in this position, and what your thoughts are. I really would love a career in dentistry, I love everything about it, I started pursuing dentistry because I would love nothing more than to travel to underprivileged countries and do service work. I know people say.. "well if it's really what you want to do, go for it," but when do you approach the point of reality and have to say to yourself "damn, I'm getting old, I need a real job, I need to get on with my life rather than what seems like wasting my time dabbling in the unknowns of a career in dentistry.
Anyway, I think I've somewhat covered whatever thoughts I was having.
I'd love to hear stories, hope, or the like of anyone going through anything similar.

I recommend retaking the DAT. You can definitely do better than 18s. You are not in as bad shape as some of the other re applicants.

I'm 30+ years old and gotten into SUNY buffalo. I don't consider myself to be a topnotch candidate. I feel very fortunate to have gotten in. For all you older candidates they will note that you are more mature just keep plugging away at it. My blemishes of years past were deemphasized.:thumbup: