1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Anyone else still in limbo at UofL???

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Smills91, May 2, 2007.

1. Smills91

Smills91 Defeat Obamunism!
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Here it is May 2 and I'm still on the "next to be contact list" at Louisville...is there anyone else out there on this list at UofL? Have you heard any further details?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. shamrock2006

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    still there...heard nothing

4. Smills91

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    But you've already been accepted somewhere else? Have you made a decision yet? Between those schools which would be your top choice?

5. shamrock2006

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    right now headed to UDM...but if by some freak of a chance UoL offered me a spot off the waitlist it'd be hard for me to turn them down. I liked the school a lot and I know a ton of people in Louisville...so it's really ideal. But it's basically a 99.99% thing I'm goin to UDM.

6. Smills91

7+ Year Member

Dental Student

Good for you, I actually live here in Louisville and have been on the "Next to be contacted list" for 2 years straight now. Last year they rejected me the last week of May and this year, well, I'd already the 1st year of May. The class is "full" with 80 seats filled, but they usually add 3-5 extras because they know people will drop out their first year and over the course of the 4 years total. Which will make the class closer to graduating 80 students.

7. Smills91

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Oh yeah, Shamrock, I have a buddy here in Louisville that went to UDM. He was actually "flunked out" after his first year. He said the school isn't very conducive to learning. The school shuts down at 5 pm because of the bad area that it's in and that it would take 60-90 minutes to get home. As you can imagine it's a tough situation. He said their were 6 people that flunked out the first year and that 3 were white and 3 were black...he said all 3 of the white kids were asked not to return and the school actually worked with th 3 black kids to assist them in passing through some form of remediation. HE said his buddy is suing the school over it, but he's started up his own business and at this point is done with Dentistry altogether. He basically said UDM wants to raise their Board scores as their main goal so they kick out the people with the low scores so they can improve their board scores. Good luck though.

8. shamrock2006

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Now...i'm not one to call anyone a liar. but I dont know if I believe a lot of that. If someone flunks out...it's b/c they simply couldn't hack dental school. No school "flunks" people out and asks them not to return b/c they are going to be out a ton of tuition $$. is the school in a bad area? sure its not the best...but it also could be a lot worse. and 60-90 minutes away? that I find hard to believe. Only b/c I have a friend who lives out there...works in downtown detroit and gets there in under 30 minutes. and even if it is a little bit of a drive...everyone is in the same boat. nobody lives right near the school. Also, the school is moving to a brand new location the start of 08. It's more in the heart of detroit..which again is not too safe...but the school itself is amazing. it's what you make of it...its not a racial thing at all either. if your friend wants to sue..then that's fine...but he's not going to win b/c the school can come up w/ a million reasons why they didn't let him back....plus its a private school so they can do whatever they want basically. bottom line..as i said...it's all what you make of it. Anyone can say anything negative about any school..or tell some horror stories about it...check out any thread talking about NYU or USC and you'll see my point. Dont get me wrong..i can respect what you are saying...I just think everyone's experience differs...every school is different...and if you are serious about graduating and doing well...you adjust no matter what.