Anyone else suddenly realize they actually have to go to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surftheiop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after the couple years of doing the "pre-med thing" and a couple months of interviews, I got accepted to medical school. It felt like I had finally reached my goal so I just kind of relaxed, but kept working hard in school because that was the new normal for me since becoming pre-med. I also read SDN religiously out of habit and had been reading a lot of the specialty boards to see what I might be interested in.

I know this sounds ridicolous, but just the other day was the first time it dawned on me that I actually have to go to school to get my MD, like wake up, go to class, study, take tests, etc. It had always seemed so hypothetical and it almost felt like at the end of the interviews I was just getting handed an MD as opposed to being given permission to go to school.

So yeah anybody else sort of "miss the forest because of the tree" during the whole pre-med process?

That being said, I'm excited about going to medical school, but sort of had forgotten that it really is just more school. (At least first 2 years)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
I, personally, just realized this.

Reactions: 2 users
walk away while you still can, med school is no cakewalk.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha, funny stuff.. Hopefully i've already realized this. ^_^

Last edited:
I don't think it's hit me fully yet. I'm still sort of in the la-la land of "omg, i got into med school". Shouldn't be much longer till reality slaps me in the face.

I totally understand! I was sooo excited and relieved to be accepted and move to the next step.... then it was like oh my god, what have I done to myself! LOL

Reactions: 3 users
:) From what I've been told by current med students, other than mentally bracing yourself for the pain that is sure to follow its difficult to be truly prepared for the slap in the face that is your first semester of medschool anyway. Enjoy the acceptance afterglow while you can, cause it'll be over too soon!

It's scary. You think you want it and then all of a sudden you realize it's about to happen.

It'll happen again when you're about to see your first patient.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
med school is no cakewalk.

g600616996.gif

walk away while you still can, med school is no cakewalk.

I know that was like a joke and all but I always find it that the people who discourage premed's the most about being a doctor are med students themselves. No offense to you of course, but we all know what we are getting in to. Its hard work, what it kill some of you med students to say things that will make students more motivated? Geeze, you guys use to be us at one point. However there are a few med students who always consistently give great advice even when its something a premed may not want to hear. Now those med students are awesome, but if you have nothing great to say about medicine and you want everyone else to hate it just like you then just quit already. Once again this is really not directed at ccmonopolies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that was like a joke and all but I always find it that the people who discourage premed's the most about being a doctor are med students themselves. No offense to you of course, but we all know what we are getting in to. Its hard work, what it kill some of you med students to say things that will make students more motivated? Geeze, you guys use to be us at one point. However there are a few med students who always consistently give great advice even when its something a premed may not want to hear. Now those med students are awesome, but if you have nothing great to say about medicine and you want everyone else to hate it just like you then just quit already. Once again this is really not directed at ccmonopolies.

Coming from a guy named Mr. Interesting that wasn't very interesting :smuggrin:

yes we used to be you and as such we can tell you that you DONT know what you're getting yourself into. You just can't understand it until you're @ least a month in. A lot of pre meds have the idea that "O I got into med school journeys over". Its just the beginning. Enjoy.

Reactions: 1 user
Be careful what you wish for...

I don't really understand your post-- current med students have the gift of 20/20 hindsight, whereas pre-meds/newly accepted med students don't.

There is absolutely no way you could have any idea what you're getting into. I don't care how much volunteering, shadowing, working in healthcare you've done; you don't have a clue what you're getting into. And it only gets worse with residency.

I've sacrificed so much during these past four years-- the best years of my life, putting off marriage and kids, a house, a dog, a real job, gone into an enormous amount of debt that will take me forever to pay off-- I've basically put my life on hold after signing up for a marriage that I now cannot get out of. Because that's what medicine is: it's a marriage where divorce is basically impossible. It's a tumultuous relationship where you eat a lot of Ramen and drink obscene amounts of caffeine so some bitch can kick your ass all day.

That being said, I'd do it all over again because I can't imagine doing anything else with my life. I wish I could think of something else to do for a living, and for Christ's sake, if you even think for a second you could be happy in another profession GET OUT NOW!!!!

There are some rewards in medicine: you're constantly learning, you're surrounded by bright people, you make friendships that last for a lifetime, and there is a sense of belonging to this messed up culture. Some of your patients are incredibly grateful and sometimes you can make a difference. Also, there is nothing better than watching good medicine being practiced; it's almost magical.

But for the most part it isn't all warm and fuzzy the way you may imagine it. To say that you understand how hard medicine is and to actually UNDERSTAND it are two completely different things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
As I look back, getting into med school seemed like a bigger pain in the ass than being in med school. School isn't that bad.

keep in mind I'm just in my second year

I'll be back in July or August to tell you all to set sail on a viking funeral boat or some crap to avoid the endless suffering of your chosen career, just watch

I don't really understand your post-- current med students have the gift of 20/20 hindsight, whereas pre-meds/newly accepted med students don't.

There is absolutely no way you could have any idea what you're getting into. I don't care how much volunteering, shadowing, working in healthcare you've done; you don't have a clue what you're getting into. And it only gets worse with residency.

I've sacrificed so much during these past four years-- the best years of my life, putting off marriage and kids, a house, a dog, a real job, gone into an enormous amount of debt that will take me forever to pay off-- I've basically put my life on hold after signing up for a marriage that I now cannot get out of. Because that's what medicine is: it's a marriage where divorce is basically impossible. It's a tumultuous relationship where you eat a lot of Ramen and drink obscene amounts of caffeine so some bitch can kick your ass all day.

That being said, I'd do it all over again because I can't imagine doing anything else with my life. I wish I could think of something else to do for a living, and for Christ's sake, if you even think for a second you could be happy in another profession GET OUT NOW!!!!

There are some rewards in medicine: you're constantly learning, you're surrounded by bright people, you make friendships that last for a lifetime, and there is a sense of belonging to this messed up culture. Some of your patients are actually grateful and sometimes you can make a difference.

But for the most part it isn't all warm and fuzzy the way you may imagine it. To say that you understand how hard medicine is and to actually UNDERSTAND it are two completely different things.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I remember the first couple weeks of school... I just walked around in a daze. Yeah, I'm actually here! I'm in med school! Yay Clinical Vignettes, what a cool word!

It was only then that I realized the realties of med school. I agree that med students have 20/20 hindsight etc. but I don't agree with all the warnings and depictions of misery. Most people who are actually going to get into med school are determined to be physicians and are highly unlikely to change their path after working so hard for such a long time. And even those like silas2642, who resent many aspects of this career and the sacrifices that they've had to make, admit that they can't think of something they would rather do. Most of us are part of a rather stubborn, tenacious subset of people.

I'm only a first year. I know nothing, and I am reminded of that on an hourly basis. I don't love all aspects of med school, but I am definitely glad to be here so far.

There are some rewards in medicine: you're constantly learning, you're surrounded by bright people, you make friendships that last for a lifetime, and there is a sense of belonging to this messed up culture. Some of your patients are actually grateful and sometimes you can make a difference.

:laugh: I appreciate the time you spent on your post of doom and gloom, but if I may ask -- what was your life experience prior to attending med school?

"There is absolutely no way you could have any idea what you're getting into."

...So would it be safe to assume that med school is way harder than BUD/S training and the X-year commitment thereafter? I am impressed, being a med student must be pretty tuff stuff. :eek: (And to think, I thought it just involved studying and absorbing large mountains of information while sitting inside on a nice cozy chair. Eventually I assumed it must be much worse, you know, when you have to try to remember everything and apply it in a hospital setting, while being embarrassed by those mean old attendings in a nice cozy hospital. Countless late nights and nights without sleep: unfathomable. It must be terrible to know your whole life is on the line each moment of every day like that. The old "Pass=Dr." equation must have some type of inherent flaw.)

In other words, you should qualify your statements appropriately. "Most of the pre-meds who attend med school [right out of undergrad] are in store for a major shock from what they may have originally expected." VS "There is absolutely no way you could have any idea what you're getting into."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
:laugh: I appreciate the time you spent on your post of doom and gloom, but if I may ask -- what was your life experience prior to attending med school?

"There is absolutely no way you could have any idea what you're getting into."

...So would it be safe to assume that med school is way harder than BUD/S training and the X-year commitment thereafter? I am impressed, being a med student must be pretty tuff stuff. :eek: (And to think, I thought it just involved studying and absorbing large mountains of information while sitting inside on a nice cozy chair. Eventually I assumed it must be much worse, you know, when you have to try to remember everything and apply it in a hospital setting, while being embarrassed by those mean old attendings in a nice cozy hospital. Countless late nights and nights without sleep: unfathomable. It must be terrible to know your whole life is on the line each moment of every day like that. The old "Pass=Dr." equation must have some type of inherent flaw.)

In other words, you should qualify your statements appropriately. "Most of the pre-meds who attend med school [right out of undergrad] are in store for a major shock from what they may have originally expected." VS "There is absolutely no way you could have any idea what you're getting into."
On the other hand, if I went up to a Navy SEAL and told him I'd been working out and I'm ready for BUD/S and the SEAL was like "You have no idea what you're getting yourself into," I doubt "Well I went to medical school, so I do know what it's like" would be a legitimate answer.

Like LRA, I don't believe the doom and gloom of the negative attitudes here. Med school is tough, no doubt. It's intimidating. It is absolutely NOTHING like undergrad or any job I've ever had. But it's not horrible. A lot of work, sure.

Notice the post above where someone was claiming they gave up prime years of their life for school -- it doesn't have to be that way. You don't have to sacrifice your life for med school.

I don't understand the giving up the "prime of your life" comments. Seriously? What else would you be doing that is so fabulous? I feel like I'm wasting my life as I work 50 hours a week for a job that I'm not passionate about. Sure, I have enough free time to have a great relationship with my SO, see friends, go on random trips (but not expensive ones, because you don't have very much money in your mid-20s..your so-called prime:)laugh:)) and I read a lot. I also know the first names of everyone on the Biggest Loser. Wow, free time is great. Yet I have no "great accomplishments" to speak of. I make enough to support myself. I'd rather spend my "prime" tackling the behemoth that is medical education, because, wow, that would be something.

It may be that my outlook is just different. Part of maturing is realizing that you have a lot more time than you think you do, and that the key to happiness is living in the moment. I've never been on the graduate, get married, buy a house, have a kid from 22-30 plan. I also have role models in their 40s-60s who are leading a great life and having a lot of fun. Considering that your life is on "hold" during medical school sounds like a recipe for bitterness and unhappiness. Who says you can't get married in medical school, anyway? Or even have a child? If it's really important to you I'm sure you could do it like the many before you have. Those "oh I missed out" comments are probably from people who didn't really have those events in the cards in the first place, and are just blaming medical school for their lack of personal fulfillment. Eh?

I don't understand the giving up the "prime of your life" comments. Seriously? What else would you be doing that is so fabulous? I feel like I'm wasting my life as I work 50 hours a week for a job that I'm not passionate about. Sure, I have enough free time to have a great relationship with my SO, see friends, go on random trips (but not expensive ones, because you don't have very much money in your mid-20s..your so-called prime:)laugh:)) and I read a lot. I also know the first names of everyone on the Biggest Loser. Wow, free time is great. Yet I have no "great accomplishments" to speak of. I make enough to support myself. I'd rather spend my "prime" tackling the behemoth that is medical education, because, wow, that would be something.

It may be that my outlook is just different. Part of maturing is realizing that you have a lot more time than you think you do, and that the key to happiness is living in the moment. I've never been on the graduate, get married, buy a house, have a kid from 22-30 plan. I also have role models in their 40s-60s who are leading a great life and having a lot of fun. Considering that your life is on "hold" during medical school sounds like a recipe for bitterness and unhappiness. Who says you can't get married in medical school, anyway? Or even have a child? If it's really important to you I'm sure you could do it like the many before you have. Those "oh I missed out" comments are probably from people who didn't really have those events in the cards in the first place, and are just blaming medical school for their lack of personal fulfillment. Eh?

Well said, I was going to write something to this effect but simply don't think I can do better.

Yes medical school will annoy one in the sense that sometimes other things like trips/vacations/social events might have to take the backseat to studying for a test. However, in the end I believe one will have plenty of opportunities to make up for those moments in the future.

Another thing, is that if you have not enjoyed your teenage years/middle and high school and/or your undergrad years to the fullest, thost are most likely the individuals who are bitter because they never got to experience anything. I for one am perfectly fine buckling down and being studious for a while knowing that I haven't missed out on getting blackout drunk and partying everynight until the wee hours of the morning which honestly doesn't even sound appealing anymore.

Just my two cents, I think like high school and undergrad, med school will be about what one makes of it and on par with the relative difficulty high school is for an apathetic teen and undergrad is for an alcohol crazed partier.

Like LRA, I don't believe the doom and gloom of the negative attitudes here. Med school is tough, no doubt. It's intimidating. It is absolutely NOTHING like undergrad or any job I've ever had. But it's not horrible. A lot of work, sure.

Notice the post above where someone was claiming they gave up prime years of their life for school -- it doesn't have to be that way. You don't have to sacrifice your life for med school.

Finally, a sensible answer! :)

Congratulations to those of you who got in! It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to get into medical school. You should be proud of yourselves. Enjoy the time off. You will be a doctor one day. Let it sink in. :)

Very well said. I took a year off after undergrad to work and I was incredibly bored and depressed. The next year, I went and did an SMP and was happy as hell. Now, I'm busy doing research and volunteering but I'm ready to go back to school again.

...Another thing, is that if you have not enjoyed your teenage years/middle and high school and/or your undergrad years to the fullest, thost are most likely the individuals who are bitter because they never got to experience anything. I for one am perfectly fine buckling down and being studious for a while knowing that I haven't missed out on getting blackout drunk and partying everynight until the wee hours of the morning which honestly doesn't even sound appealing anymore...

Exactly my thoughts, as well. The typical clean-cut premed who rarely went out on the weekends and went straight from undergrad to med school is much more prone to the "where have my prime years gone?" depressive mentality

This scares me and is sad.
Not because I don't think I'm going to get my ass kicked in med school...I do.
Not because I don't think it is going to be hard....I do.
Not because I don't think that medicine requires sacrifices...because, like anything you make a priority, it does.

But because...DUDE....you can always get divorced. It is never too late until you are dead. Will there be consequences? Sure. Will it suck to pay off the debt? Absolutely. Will it be tough to figure out who you REALLY are inside there, and what you should be doing? You bet your a**. But if you are that miserable.....get out. If not for your sake, then for the sake of everyone around you. If you signed up for this and you realized it was not what you wanted, YOU are the only one who is continuing to make the choice to show up and pursue it, day after day. Own up to this choice, and don't make it out like you are being held hostage.

On the other hand, if I went up to a Navy SEAL and told him I'd been working out and I'm ready for BUD/S and the SEAL was like "You have no idea what you're getting yourself into," I doubt "Well I went to medical school, so I do know what it's like" would be a legitimate answer.

:thumbup:

This scares me and is sad.
Not because I don't think I'm going to get my ass kicked in med school...I do.
Not because I don't think it is going to be hard....I do.
Not because I don't think that medicine requires sacrifices...because, like anything you make a priority, it does.

But because...DUDE....you can always get divorced. It is never too late until you are dead. Will there be consequences? Sure. Will it suck to pay off the debt? Absolutely. Will it be tough to figure out who you REALLY are inside there, and what you should be doing? You bet your a**. But if you are that miserable.....get out. If not for your sake, then for the sake of everyone around you. If you signed up for this and you realized it was not what you wanted, YOU are the only one who is continuing to make the choice to show up and pursue it, day after day. Own up to this choice, and don't make it out like you are being held hostage.

:thumbup:

So I need to clarify here-- I'm not miserable; in fact I'm really, really happy, particularly since I'm in my fourth year of med school and on a month off for interviews. Med students, on the whole, like to complain. A lot. Are there more difficult things than med school? Absolutely. There probably aren't a lot of professions that require this amount of training at this intensity, but whatever.

I also want to let you guys know that I have grown so much in the last four years, more than I ever thought I could. I've become more mature and more realistic, and I've learned what I want in life. The person who entered med school is not the same person who is graduating.

But I really do feel married to medicine because of the enormous amount of debt that I'm in-- there are very, very few positions out there that would allow me to pay off my debt other than in medicine. And those few positions that exist I'm not qualified for. That's why I cannot stress enough to the pre-meds out there to try like hell to find another profession so that they are absolutely sure there is no other path that would fulfill them other than medicine.

This is exactly what I mean when I say im giving up my prime years. When things involve traveling, such as weddings, birthday parties, bar mitzvahs,they invariably fall on test weekends... What can i do? Traveling is just tough when you have work looming over your head the whole time, and building up by the minute. 3 day weekends, like the one we just had, enabled me to take 2 days off in a row, it was incredible!

Then again, I dont have to see my SO's family when they come into town, "med school" is the best ever canned excuse! I plan to use it in the future to miss christmas at the in laws'.

The saying is, the hours dont get better, you just get better at the hours...and that has enabled me to watch most of my tv shows (on demand at a later time)

and to those of you saying, "well its just more fun to be in school and be busy,' ure right, just remember the pancake metaphor:

Medical School is like eating 5 pancakes every day. Not a big deal so long as you eat them every day. But, what if you don't want to eat pancakes one day? Well then you have to eat 10 pancakes the next day or 6 pancakes for five days. Pretty soon you end up with 40 pancakes to eat and only a day to do it in.

Last edited:

There are some rewards in medicine: you're constantly learning, you're surrounded by bright people, you make friendships that last for a lifetime, and there is a sense of belonging to this messed up culture. Some of your patients are incredibly grateful and sometimes you can make a difference. Also, there is nothing better than watching good medicine being practiced; it's almost magical.

Look I understand what you are saying but try to understand what I am saying. 20/20 hindsight from current med students is great but there are a lot of med students on here who consistently post the bad about med school and never provide anything good about it. I'm pretty sure most premeds know med school isn't going to be easy, theres a good and bad in everything. However it would be nice to say something encouraging for someone who is willing to make the sacrifices for medicine. We do not have to be reminded every two seconds how much medicine sucks for you. Thanks for keeping it real but all im asking is for something positive every once in awhile. For someone who worked extremely hard to even get in the last thing they want to hear is "get out if you can."

Congratulations to those of you who got in! It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to get into medical school. You should be proud of yourselves. Enjoy the time off. You will be a doctor one day. Let it sink in. :)
:thumbup: That was pretty nice of you

Last edited:
To me, med school is like a stove burner. I know that it's hot. I can't quantify how hot, but I recognize, somewhat abstractly, that it is really really hot. Now, people who have touched the stove burner will caution me against touching said burner. They'll tell me that they touched it and it hurt so I definitely SHOULD NOT TOUCH THE STOVE BURNER. But the stove burner isn't a tangible threat to me yet. I have to touch the stove burner on my own, then spend an hour icing my burn and crying before I understand how hot the stove burner is.

Just let us pre-meds touch the stove burners on our own. We'll figure it out.

To me, med school is like a stove burner. I know that it's hot. I can't quantify how hot, but I recognize, somewhat abstractly, that it is really really hot. Now, people who have touched the stove burner will caution me against touching said burner. They'll tell me that they touched it and it hurt so I definitely SHOULD NOT TOUCH THE STOVE BURNER. But the stove burner isn't a tangible threat to me yet. I have to touch the stove burner on my own, then spend an hour icing my burn and crying before I understand how hot the stove burner is.

Thank you! I agree

This is an excellent metaphor Rhesus. :thumbup:

i think everyone needs to chill out.
take it as it comes...

i dont know about you guys, but i'd rather chill out right now, see my friends, hit the gym, and enjoy my time knowing i got into med school and leave the worry about what its gonna be like for when i get there.

i think everyone needs to chill out.
take it as it comes...

i dont know about you guys, but i'd rather chill out right now, see my friends, hit the gym, and enjoy my time knowing i got into med school and leave the worry about what its gonna be like for when i get there.
seriously. you guys think too hard.

Or maybe people got OMG HORRIBLY DISFIGURED BY TEH BURNER and don't want you to damage your pretty face. ;)

What they can't predict is that for some of us, getting burned by the stove might actually improve our looks. :laugh:

NEWS FLASH: You still have a life in med school, I still watch tv, drink, party, workout, sleep, and yes I study more, but you establish a new baseline so whatever. I still never go to class, but cramming now, is measured in days not hours/ the night before.

I don't think this is as easy to do in real life as we might think it is. I can completely understand someone facing a $200k debt and essentially being forced to stick with medicine, even if they hate it. The biggest reason that I think this, IMO (I could be wrong since I don't have any actual experience with medicine, just like all the premeds here), medicine helps you develop a certain skillset. Outside of medicine, I don't think this skillset is very useful. The discipline, work ethic, etc, can be carried over to anything else, definitely. But you'd still be starting over from scratch. That's why I can completely see someone being shackled to medicine because of the debt. Who wants to start over all the way from the beginning once they've already wasted several years of their lives and have gone into tens of thousands/hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt? There aren't many jobs that pay as well as medicine does.

Good thread OP.

It is an interesting feeling. Come August we will be working hard and the work won't really stop for the rest of our lives. And yet it is an exciting place to be. Hopefully we all are well aware of what we are getting ourselves into. It will be a tremendous challenge and yet well worth it. Or, at least, I think it will be well worth it.

Feeling really privileged at this moment to know, at this very point, that I have the next six months to do with as I please since a medical school acceptance is in hand. I think we're pretty lucky compared to those that will be getting in off the waitlists in the summer. Being all anxious hoping to get in only to finally get in a month before school starts and realize the next month will be used up for moving etc.

Looking forward to it. Cheers to the class of 2015!

NEWS FLASH: You still have a life in med school, I still watch tv, drink, party, workout, sleep, and yes I study more, but you establish a new baseline so whatever. I still never go to class, but cramming now, is measured in days not hours/ the night before.

Is that sarcasm...? I can't tell.

But at any rate, I'm looking forward to the challenges med school will bring (if I get in). And besides, EVERYONE else in your med school class will be going through just about the same exact thing as you. And EVERYONE who came before you had to go through it as well. So it's obviously not that bad...

The title of this thread should be: "Anyone suddenly realize they actually have to become a doctor." Med school isn't that hard, its the being a doctor that sucks.

Of course medicine has pros and cons.

However, THAT is how one needs to look at it - medicine. Not medical school. You are about to enter a new phase of life that will change who you are and how you live, from here on out.

The problem with premeds perspective (and why its difficult to truly see whats going to happen) is that there is a view that its just "4 more years." I hear it all the time. But its not.

Honestly, medical school isn't that hard.
1st year is a review of undergrad for a lot of people. Its awesome because you have your own schedule for one of the last times in life, you get to deepen your knowledge and be SUPER excited that you're going to be a doctor. However, by the end of first year most people are shackled to medicine. Most people could not survive the payments of a 50k loan without finishing and being a physician.
2nd year is undergrad on steroids and the pain of studying for Step 1 12 hrs/day for a month. Its awesome because pathology is incredible, and you'll have all sorts of new diseases you never knew you had ;)
3rd year is the worst, working 50-80 hr weeks (longer if you go to school on the east coast) and learning a whole new skill of working in the hospital. Possibly getting yelled at by residents, attendings and nurses. But third year is awesome because you can try new specialties, make connections with patients and learn some of the basics of clinical medicine.
4th year you pick your specialty, apply to residency and chill through lots of easy electives. Its just outright awesome - no downside here :p

Then there is residency, and the rest of your career.

No one says its evil or terrible, its honestly not that hard. However, its a shock in how much it will change your life. Predominantly starting 3rd year. You will look at society differently, feel worse about humanity, feel frustrated with our healthcare system.

In your personal life you will do the best you can, but old connections will break off because you will find you have very little in common with people outside of medicine, even family relationships will be difficult to maintain. If you aren't already in a relationship its very difficult to find one and maintain it, if you do you may relocated for residency likely breaking it off. Many of the single women in my class have no prospects and freak out about never getting married or having kids.

You do all this while watching your friends from high school buy houses, have kids, go on vacations (maybe barely getting by the skin of their teeth but still...), etc. etc. etc. and you wonder if it was really worth it.

Sure you get to be a physician, some people will respect you for that - most won't. You get to spend 40-120 hours every week working for the rest of your life. 40 hrs is rare. You will make decent money but will pay down 200k of debt and won't really have tons of money to throw around until several years after residency (meanwhile you earned below average for a college graduate for 3-7 years in residency). Patients won't listen to you, they will be self-destructive, some will hit you. You will see everything thats wrong with society and never be able to do anything about it. You will watch nice people die too young and have to tell their families. You will see the frighteningly crass attitude that permeates medicine and will quickly find yourself participating.

Just remember its not 4 more years. When you hit your third year you are going to become a different person. You may or may not like that person. Then you will continue to be that person for the rest of your life.

The pros of the overall field: recession resistant, decent pay, very cool job, get to work with tons of people both colleagues and patients, quite a bit of variety to choose from within the career.

Its not that medicine is bad, but a lot of people hit a wall where they wonder if it was worth it - and its usually not - too much life cost for too little benefit, there are other options out there. Don't get me wrong, I love my life - I am in a relationship am fortunate to see my family often and can't wait to be an EM doc. However, if I were magically transported back 5 years ago...no way in hell I would do it again.

I think for me it's more like...omg I'm going to have to take out a loan and be slapped with a lot of debt (having scraped by without borrowing any money for college...)

For the record my OP was more about the feeling that during the interview trail it feels like your interviewing to get an MD, while actually your just interviewing for the chance to go to school more.

I think a part of me almost expected a MD diploma and medical license to be in the acceptance letter ;)

I know exactly what you mean. I am just gloating in the glory of getting accepted. I try to avoid thinking of how much studying i will have to do in the next 4 years. Just enjoying my last year of undergrad for now.

So I need to clarify here-- I'm not miserable; in fact I'm really, really happy, particularly since I'm in my fourth year of med school and on a month off for interviews. Med students, on the whole, like to complain. A lot. Are there more difficult things than med school? Absolutely. There probably aren't a lot of professions that require this amount of training at this intensity, but whatever.

I also want to let you guys know that I have grown so much in the last four years, more than I ever thought I could. I've become more mature and more realistic, and I've learned what I want in life. The person who entered med school is not the same person who is graduating.

But I really do feel married to medicine because of the enormous amount of debt that I'm in-- there are very, very few positions out there that would allow me to pay off my debt other than in medicine. And those few positions that exist I'm not qualified for. That's why I cannot stress enough to the pre-meds out there to try like hell to find another profession so that they are absolutely sure there is no other path that would fulfill them other than medicine.
That is totally fair, and I am glad that while you feel pressure from the responsibility you have taken on, it is not because you are not where you want to be.

I don't think this is as easy to do in real life as we might think it is. I can completely understand someone facing a $200k debt and essentially being forced to stick with medicine, even if they hate it. The biggest reason that I think this, IMO (I could be wrong since I don't have any actual experience with medicine, just like all the premeds here), medicine helps you develop a certain skillset. Outside of medicine, I don't think this skillset is very useful. The discipline, work ethic, etc, can be carried over to anything else, definitely. But you'd still be starting over from scratch. That's why I can completely see someone being shackled to medicine because of the debt. Who wants to start over all the way from the beginning once they've already wasted several years of their lives and have gone into tens of thousands/hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt? There aren't many jobs that pay as well as medicine does.
I agree, it is not easy. And the reason I KNOW it is not easy is because I have done it...I am doing it. 7 years ago I walked away from another career with more than 200k of educational debt. And I am now signing up for another 200k.

Can most people do it? No. People who are practically strangers love to tell me every day that I am nuts or making a mistake. Though since I have gotten into medical school, they have changed their minds a bit.:rolleyes:

It is really really hard to pull a 180 in your life. REALLY hard. Even people who love you and are close to you will find it hard to support you because they won't think it is the best thing for you. It takes bravery and stamina and tears and a hell of a lot of will and belief in yourself. You lose a lot of friends, have a lot of sleepless nights, and are always wondering if you're doing the right thing. But what keeps you going is knowing how it felt when you were doing the wrong thing....and knowing how it feels when you are doing the right thing.

Is it easy? No. Can it be done? You bet your sweet butt:)

The title of this thread should be: "Anyone suddenly realize they actually have to become a doctor." Med school isn't that hard, its the being a doctor that sucks.

Of course medicine has pros and cons.

However, THAT is how one needs to look at it - medicine. Not medical school. You are about to enter a new phase of life that will change who you are and how you live, from here on out.

The problem with premeds perspective (and why its difficult to truly see whats going to happen) is that there is a view that its just "4 more years." I hear it all the time. But its not.

Honestly, medical school isn't that hard.
1st year is a review of undergrad for a lot of people. Its awesome because you have your own schedule for one of the last times in life, you get to deepen your knowledge and be SUPER excited that you're going to be a doctor. However, by the end of first year most people are shackled to medicine. Most people could not survive the payments of a 50k loan without finishing and being a physician.
2nd year is undergrad on steroids and the pain of studying for Step 1 12 hrs/day for a month. Its awesome because pathology is incredible, and you'll have all sorts of new diseases you never knew you had ;)
3rd year is the worst, working 50-80 hr weeks (longer if you go to school on the east coast) and learning a whole new skill of working in the hospital. Possibly getting yelled at by residents, attendings and nurses. But third year is awesome because you can try new specialties, make connections with patients and learn some of the basics of clinical medicine.
4th year you pick your specialty, apply to residency and chill through lots of easy electives. Its just outright awesome - no downside here :p

Then there is residency, and the rest of your career.

No one says its evil or terrible, its honestly not that hard. However, its a shock in how much it will change your life. Predominantly starting 3rd year. You will look at society differently, feel worse about humanity, feel frustrated with our healthcare system.

In your personal life you will do the best you can, but old connections will break off because you will find you have very little in common with people outside of medicine, even family relationships will be difficult to maintain. If you aren't already in a relationship its very difficult to find one and maintain it, if you do you may relocated for residency likely breaking it off. Many of the single women in my class have no prospects and freak out about never getting married or having kids.

You do all this while watching your friends from high school buy houses, have kids, go on vacations (maybe barely getting by the skin of their teeth but still...), etc. etc. etc. and you wonder if it was really worth it.

Sure you get to be a physician, some people will respect you for that - most won't. You get to spend 40-120 hours every week working for the rest of your life. 40 hrs is rare. You will make decent money but will pay down 200k of debt and won't really have tons of money to throw around until several years after residency (meanwhile you earned below average for a college graduate for 3-7 years in residency). Patients won't listen to you, they will be self-destructive, some will hit you. You will see everything thats wrong with society and never be able to do anything about it. You will watch nice people die too young and have to tell their families. You will see the frighteningly crass attitude that permeates medicine and will quickly find yourself participating.

Just remember its not 4 more years. When you hit your third year you are going to become a different person. You may or may not like that person. Then you will continue to be that person for the rest of your life.

The pros of the overall field: recession resistant, decent pay, very cool job, get to work with tons of people both colleagues and patients, quite a bit of variety to choose from within the career.

Its not that medicine is bad, but a lot of people hit a wall where they wonder if it was worth it - and its usually not - too much life cost for too little benefit, there are other options out there. Don't get me wrong, I love my life - I am in a relationship am fortunate to see my family often and can't wait to be an EM doc. However, if I were magically transported back 5 years ago...no way in hell I would do it again.

Thanks a bunch for that amazing post. It really puts things in perspective. BTW, nice job updating your MDapps so that people can see your progression over the past few years- really amazing how 6 years just flew by, eh? Hope you do well in life!