Anyone else suddenly realize they actually have to go to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ha. My dad's also a doctor buddy. I would spend entire shifts with him at the hospital as in 24 hours at a time as a pre-med. Ive also been an EMT and a patient in the hospital.

Guess what I still didnt know what I was getting into and you thinking you know what your getting into because your daddys a doc, well that just proves u dont know jack, let alone the fact that healthcare is at its most uncertain point in pretty much the history of the country, safe for the implementation of medicare. :rolleyes:

Trust me pal you wont be puking sunshine and farting rainbows when you have to sit in a room for 10 hours a day staring at books and watching lectures etc. Saying how much you love medicine and this was the perfect choice for you before you even started is the pre med condition- one of blissful ignorance.

I like what I learn most of the time. But I also like hanging out with my friends going to the bars etc. which I do, but not to the extent I used to (and yes I took some time off and worked in the real world). So when can I get my hug?

YOU HAVE FRIENDS? GTFO!! I don't believe it I want references now!! lol hard to believe you do when all you do is whine 100% of the time, worked 24 hr shifts in the e.r. in undergrad, and tell premeds they can't accepted to med school for posting pics on a forum which im pretty sure you have too. If you haven't realized NO ONE LIKES YOU. Theres nothing wrong with keeping it real but don't be such a drag 100% of the time. Getting in to med school is somewhat of an achievement for some people whether you care or not stop trying to take that away for some people. If you want to be helpful theres other ways to do it..

Members don't see this ad.

you are confused.

maybe you're just not particularly smart yo

umad?

+100 lol :D

Really? LOL

Golly you're right mister if I don't score over a 35 in graphic forum posting I'll never make it to med school! Who cares that you spent 24hr shifts in the E.R. as a premed I thought all that "hardwork" didn't matter as a pre-med remember? lol theres your problem right there.. you never had a girlfriend, aww you sure you don't want that hug?

lmao

YOU HAVE FRIENDS? GTFO!! I don't believe it I want references now!! lol hard to believe you do when all you do is whine 100% of the time, worked 24 hr shifts in the e.r. in undergrad, and tell premeds they can't accepted to med school for posting pics on a forum which im pretty sure you have too. If you haven't realized NO ONE LIKES YOU. Theres nothing wrong with keeping it real but don't be such a drag 100% of the time. Getting in to med school is somewhat of an achievement for some people whether you care or not stop trying to take that away for some people. If you want to be helpful theres other ways to do it..

Wow, a guy who has to make his name mr interesting on an anonymous message board, doesnt like me. :scared: O god my life is over.

Getting into medical school is an accomplishment. Be happy about it celebrate and enjoy your summer before you start. But you dont know what its gonna be like cuz u have a doc in the family

Heres what this thread boils down to. The pred-med whining about the med students whining. You know why were whining but you guys are whining cuz we dont constantly harp about how awesome med school is. What we are doing is giving you a realistic sense of what it will be like so when you start you wont be all pissed off and maybe even pleasantly surprised, but look back in a year or two and see what it takes to break through to a pre-med, they already know everything there is about medicine, because their dad and uncle are drs.

I havent posted any pictures on the boards, but im gonna start because i wanna be as cool as you and your little side kick.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, a guy who has to make his name mr interesting on an anonymous message board, doesnt like me. :scared: O god my life is over.

Getting into medical school is an accomplishment. Be happy about it celebrate and enjoy your summer before you start. But you dont know what its gonna be like cuz u have a doc in the family

Heres what this thread boils down to. The pred-med whining about the med students whining. You know why were whining but you guys are whining cuz we dont constantly harp about how awesome med school is. What we are doing is giving you a realistic sense of what it will be like so when you start you wont be all pissed off and maybe even pleasantly surprised, but look back in a year or two and see what it takes to break through to a pre-med, they already know everything there is about medicine, because their dad and uncle are drs.

I havent posted any pictures on the boards, but im gonna start because i wanna be as cool as you and your little side kick.

Just because you don't like much about medical school doesn't mean everyone else wont either. You can be realistic all you want but let everyone experience things for themselves like others have already stated. I'm not saying I know everything about medicine, infact I never said that. I said I know enough to know what I'm getting into (obviously having docs in the family don't matter that much just like you working 24hr shifts with your dad in undergrad doesn't). But seriously YOU ARE NO ONE TO TELL ANYONE THEY CAN'T GET INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL. There are plenty of medical students on here who give great advice and sometimes the experiences they share on here may not be pleasant and I accept that but they don't intentionally try to discrourage others from going to medical school and whine about how bad and hard it is 100% of the time. We are done here now. You may post back if you want just know I wont care to respond back or read. Deuces.

Bunch of flamers in this thread. Stop masturbating. You both look like idiots.

Definitely got a little bummed once the cycle ended. It was the completion of a life goal, but that also means it was the end of a life purpose. I got over it and was pretty revved up to go after a few days.

All of this talk about the difficulties in med school gives me great pleasure in my knickers.

Self-improvement is masturbation. Self-destruction is the answer.

Just because you don't like much about medical school doesn't mean everyone else wont either. You can be realistic all you want but let everyone experience things for themselves like others have already stated. I'm not saying I know everything about medicine, infact I never said that. I said I know enough to know what I'm getting into (obviously having docs in the family don't matter that much just like you working 24hr shifts with your dad in undergrad doesn't). But seriously YOU ARE NO ONE TO TELL ANYONE THEY CAN'T GET INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL. There are plenty of medical students on here who give great advice and sometimes the experiences they share on here may not be pleasant and I accept that but they don't intentionally try to discrourage others from going to medical school and whine about how bad and hard it is 100% of the time. We are done here now. You may post back if you want just know I wont care to respond back or read. Deuces.

Alright, well I really do wanna help you guys so I figured a cold hard list will be more helpful then whats been said so far.

PROS:
1) For the most part I can set my own schedule (unless you goto class)
TIP: alot of people change study methods completely when starting med school. Like people who never went to class start going. Try out different study methods but if it worked in college you can probably tweak or change that method to work best in med school.

2) you will meet some awesome people- you will make great friends that can last the rest of your life.
TIP: we have some friends who got bummed out because they werent getting invited to stuff anymore. Well they werent getting invited because they would always say no. So make the effort to hang out with everyone.

3. You will learn and do some stuff that many others wont get to- I have cut a human body in half and looked at everything inside. Its crazy.
TIP: its hard to realize past your first week because youre still getting acclimated to the workload and you have tons of material to go over but take a sec and think about what your doing its amazing.

CONS:
1) You gotta sacrifice stuff- Its not like everyday you feel like your sacrificing something. It usually happens on the weekends when people call you to do stuff, or theres a wedding or a birthday during a test week. The administration doesnt care that you want to be a person. As long as you pay your tuition and your not failing, then you should be a little medicine machine. Even a death in the family will only take you so far with them

2) The waste of time stuff we have. You will have to take classes where it seems like the sole intent of its creation was to waste your time. It will most likely be accompanied by some busy work assignment.
TIP: Dont waste alot of time doing these things.

3) The volume can take away from the learning. I am a person who likes learning, but the volume can take away the joy of it. I like playing video games but if i had to do that 6-7 hours a day everyday I would hate it. I like candy but if I had to eat it for almost every meal I would hate it. You get the idea. Most of my profs are good but, there will always be that really horrible one, and some how he will get to teach 10 lectures in the hardest block your taking.

Another piece of advice I heard was start annotating FA during with your classes. Its good advice but the problem is i didnt know what to annotate until I started doing boards questions.

I have never told anyone they couldnt goto med school, I think your referring to the guy I told who wouldnt get accepted because the picture he posted on an internet message board wasnt funny, I thought the absurdity of the statement would make it clear that it was a joke.

Good Luck to those starting.

So after the couple years of doing the "pre-med thing" and a couple months of interviews, I got accepted to medical school. It felt like I had finally reached my goal so I just kind of relaxed, but kept working hard in school because that was the new normal for me since becoming pre-med. I also read SDN religiously out of habit and had been reading a lot of the specialty boards to see what I might be interested in.

I know this sounds ridicolous, but just the other day was the first time it dawned on me that I actually have to go to school to get my MD, like wake up, go to class, study, take tests, etc. It had always seemed so hypothetical and it almost felt like at the end of the interviews I was just getting handed an MD as opposed to being given permission to go to school.

So yeah anybody else sort of "miss the forest because of the tree" during the whole pre-med process?

That being said, I'm excited about going to medical school, but sort of had forgotten that it really is just more school. (At least first 2 years)

Today was the first day of my last undergrad semester and in class we had to introduce yourself, major, plans, etc. When I said I had been accepted into med school for the fall, it was the first time in 5 years where I could (kinda) say what I was going to do after undergrad. Before being accepted it was always "I really really hope to get into Medical School..." Now it's changed to "Ill be there in the Fall..." so it has been a big turn, but Im pumped to be able to say that. :D

I really think it's funny too that you started looking at specialty boards as well. I have to admit I have dabbled in those for hours just seeing what others have to say. Its went from looking at "MCAT scores"& "getting into med school" to the "Internal Medicine Lifestyle" & "Neurology info". So I can agree that I'm doing the same thing you are.

I also find the conflicts between the med students and pre-meds about to get into med school to be on a similar level of explaining the college life to a high schooler who wants to party the entire time and come out a successful entrepreneur. The high schooler doesn't know what to expect and sometimes wants to hear insight from others. But as there are a million different ways to get through undergrad, Im confident (not sure) there are a couple different ways (lifestyles) that are possible in med school. This is PURE OPINION and in no way am I any different then the high schooler analogy I just used, but thought I could throw my 2 cents.:D

Alright, well I really do wanna help you guys so I figured a cold hard list will be more helpful then whats been said so far.

PROS:
1) For the most part I can set my own schedule (unless you goto class)
TIP: alot of people change study methods completely when starting med school. Like people who never went to class start going. Try out different study methods but if it worked in college you can probably tweak or change that method to work best in med school.

2) you will meet some awesome people- you will make great friends that can last the rest of your life.
TIP: we have some friends who got bummed out because they werent getting invited to stuff anymore. Well they werent getting invited because they would always say no. So make the effort to hang out with everyone.

3. You will learn and do some stuff that many others wont get to- I have cut a human body in half and looked at everything inside. Its crazy.
TIP: its hard to realize past your first week because youre still getting acclimated to the workload and you have tons of material to go over but take a sec and think about what your doing its amazing.

CONS:
1) You gotta sacrifice stuff- Its not like everyday you feel like your sacrificing something. It usually happens on the weekends when people call you to do stuff, or theres a wedding or a birthday during a test week. The administration doesnt care that you want to be a person. As long as you pay your tuition and your not failing, then you should be a little medicine machine. Even a death in the family will only take you so far with them

2) The waste of time stuff we have. You will have to take classes where it seems like the sole intent of its creation was to waste your time. It will most likely be accompanied by some busy work assignment.
TIP: Dont waste alot of time doing these things.

3) The volume can take away from the learning. I am a person who likes learning, but the volume can take away the joy of it. I like playing video games but if i had to do that 6-7 hours a day everyday I would hate it. I like candy but if I had to eat it for almost every meal I would hate it. You get the idea. Most of my profs are good but, there will always be that really horrible one, and some how he will get to teach 10 lectures in the hardest block your taking.

Another piece of advice I heard was start annotating FA during with your classes. Its good advice but the problem is i didnt know what to annotate until I started doing boards questions.

I have never told anyone they couldnt goto med school, I think your referring to the guy I told who wouldnt get accepted because the picture he posted on an internet message board wasnt funny, I thought the absurdity of the statement would make it clear that it was a joke.

Good Luck to those starting.

Thanks for this, this helps.

I am not about to immerse myself into these virtual arguments (I mean, honestly, who cares) but I did want to answer the original question and the title of this thread. I got accepted right before christmas and even now, I sometimes can't believe I will be starting med school in August. I know that it will be hard and whatnot, for a multitude of reasons, many of which have been stated to death in previous posts; but I think your acceptance letter is testament enough that the admission committee, composed of people with a hell of a lot more knowledge and experience than anyone here, thinks you will be successful. To me, that says plenty. Personally, August cannot get here soon enough. Thanks for all the posts though, it's been pretty entertaining to read. And to those joining me as the class of 2015, congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I was in your shoes 4 years ago and now, here I am, graduating from med school this May. I made it and now I can just relax and revel in the moment!!!

Oh, wait, in June I will start a five year surgical residency that will be much tougher than medical school! Damn, just when I thought I had it made.

but I think your acceptance letter is testament enough that the admission committee, composed of people with a hell of a lot more knowledge and experience than anyone here, thinks you will be successful. To me, that says plenty. Personally, August cannot get here soon enough. Thanks for all the posts though, it's been pretty entertaining to read. And to those joining me as the class of 2015, congrats!

+1,000,000,000, kinda want to make a time machine to advance to august and start school already.

For the record my OP was more about the feeling that during the interview trail it feels like your interviewing to get an MD, while actually your just interviewing for the chance to go to school more.

I think a part of me almost expected a MD diploma and medical license to be in the acceptance letter ;)

Yup.

Hey guys, I was in your shoes 4 years ago and now, here I am, graduating from med school this May. I made it and now I can just relax and revel in the moment!!!

Oh, wait, in June I will start a five year surgical residency that will be much tougher than medical school! Damn, just when I thought I had it made.

2367515373_515ff7a325.jpg

I have been waiting a very VERY long time to start medical school. Actually, I've been looking forward to starting medical school since my freshman year. As far as I'm concerned, IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!!

I think the reality will set in once this cycle is completely over and I've packed up and moved to wherever it is that I'll be going. Right now I think it's still too early, and I'm pretty indifferent.

I am too lazy to stalk your post history to figure it out. What are you matching in?

im pretty sure other jobs are demanding too. i know some kids that put in 50+hours a week in the business world with little to show for it . and also some 23 year old kids that put in 90+ hours a week on wall street. i understand that studying is draining but im still very excited to start school. anyone our age who is on the route to success is putting in big hours at this stage in their life. id love to see what the I-bankers think of this thread. im havin fun w my acceptance letter as of now and will get focused this summer, i advise other acceptees to do the same

Yep, about two weeks before the first set of block exams.

im pretty sure other jobs are demanding too. i know some kids that put in 50+hours a week in the business world with little to show for it . and also some 23 year old kids that put in 90+ hours a week on wall street. i understand that studying is draining but im still very excited to start school. anyone our age who is on the route to success is putting in big hours at this stage in their life. id love to see what the I-bankers think of this thread. im havin fun w my acceptance letter as of now and will get focused this summer, i advise other acceptees to do the same

.....except the 23 year old kids putting in 90+ hour work weeks are making six digits annually, whereas med students have the added stress of making negative $50,000 annually. I think the I-bankers are looking at this thread and trying not to upset their piles of money with all the roflcoptering they are doing.

.....except the 23 year old kids putting in 90+ hour work weeks are making six digits annually, whereas med students have the added stress of making negative $50,000 annually. I think the I-bankers are looking at this thread and trying not to upset their piles of money with all the roflcoptering they are doing.

i agree on the money, my buddy is gonna make 200 next year while i accumulate debt. but 100 hour weeks under a cocky hotshot boss is no cakewalk. im just saying med school will be tough but lots of ppl work real hard, and the workload is not a reason to talk someone out of medicine, but hey easy for me to say

i agree on the money, my buddy is gonna make 200 next year while i accumulate debt. but 100 hour weeks under a cocky hotshot boss is no cakewalk. im just saying med school will be tough but lots of ppl work real hard, and the workload is not a reason to talk someone out of medicine, but hey easy for me to say

ssshhhhhhh, you have to let the med students think they work harder than anyone else and that no one else in the universe understands what they're going through!

I only found out earlier this week that I will be going to medical school, so I'm still processing everything. I graduated college almost 2 years ago and I've been working full-time since then.... I don't know about you guys, but I actually miss school!!!

Like what others have said, what's weirder than realizing you're about to go to medical school is realizing you're eventually going to be a doctor.

Yeah I can't wait to be back in school, it will be fun learning things again instead of having my brain turn into oatmeal. Of course I'm sure I will want another break a few months into school haha.

Yeah I can't wait to be back in school, it will be fun learning things again instead of having my brain turn into oatmeal. Of course I'm sure I will want another break a few months into school haha.

Of course... we hate school while we're in it, but miss it when it's gone :laugh:.

Medical school is just like everything else in life - it seems harder than it actually turns out being. There's nothing in medical school that is very difficulty to understand - but the volume of info they expect students to learn is much larger than undergrad etc. But if a student is willing to put in whatever time it takes to learn the material then there shouldnt be a problem. In fact, med school felt like a vacation from real life (jobs, work etc). Go to class, eat a muffin, play some ping-pong, go home and study.....pretty sweet 4 years......

Residency is the same way - work hard and no problem.

I have 4 months left in residency (ortho surg) and then I'll be a new staff MD.

Time flies by, enjoy med school, enjoy residency but remember to live ur life as well (family, kids, dogs, etc....). Enjoy!

Medical school is just like everything else in life - it seems harder than it actually turns out being. There's nothing in medical school that is very difficulty to understand - but the volume of info they expect students to learn is much larger than undergrad etc. But if a student is willing to put in whatever time it takes to learn the material then there shouldnt be a problem. In fact, med school felt like a vacation from real life (jobs, work etc). Go to class, eat a muffin, play some ping-pong, go home and study.....pretty sweet 4 years......

Time flies by, enjoy med school, enjoy residency but remember to live ur life as well (family, kids, dogs, etc....). Enjoy!

Great post. :D Sounds like you found the right balance.

I like you. :)

@ ortho intern
wow. i really really hope thats exactly how it feels to me. i think us (post baccs/nontrads) do have somehwhat of an advantage in that realm, that we have worked full time jobs, have worked 8-12 hours a day, so studying/sitting in class for that long is not much of an issue. but, i havent experienced it yet,so in 4 years from now (also hopefully as ortho, but who knows) if i will feel that same way you did, life will be more wonderful than i could expect!

Thought of this thread this morning when I was checking out the dates for the first exams I'm going to have this fall. the short term effects of getting accepted (party a lot, quit full-time job, party more, then engage in summer mode) seem far too short, and the long-term reality is quickly approaching. Need to restore a balance soon.

Exactly a month away from my white coat ceremony, and i find myself wishing more than anything that i was taking a year off. College was 4 years of partying with only minor cram sessions the night before exams, quit my parttime job in may, been spending crazy money and going out every singly night since summer started. The reality of this lifestyle making a 180 is scaring me more than anything. I will be going from a very social/ outgoing person to a bookwarm in t-30 days. :( But this is what i've wanted all my life...i hope it'll be worth it.

I know lots of doctors that had fun in med school. Some of them even said it was the best years of their life, even better than college.

None of them were gunning for derm or neurosurg however. So keep that in mind.

Oh yeah, I also have to go to medical school. Besides the fact that I need to contribute to society greatly and use my inherent talents and skills for the betterment of the community, I wouldn't be able to have a career. Why do I say that? Because my undergrad major was so technical and specific that once drastic licensing changes were made, I became a dislocated worker. Granted, I enjoyed my allied health career immensely, but I think that curve ball was thrown at me because the cosmos needs me to become a full-fledged physician.

There's no shot of me obtaining a well-paying job that will allow me to live independently away from family unless I become a M.D. It's either languish throughout this lifetime or go to medical school. When you put things in that perspective, it provides the necessary drive and motivation to accomplish it (and when I get like that, I am put on a warpath where nobody and nothing can stand in my way....it's as if I'm a steamroller barreling down all competition.) What actually gives me great pleasure is pretending that I'm in an army tank, guns a-blazing at all these Negative Nancies on the SDN forum. Positive thinking is the only way to get through it.

Oh yeah, I also have to go to medical school. Besides the fact that I need to contribute to society greatly and use my inherent talents and skills for the betterment of the community, I wouldn't be able to have a career. Why do I say that? Because my undergrad major was so technical and specific that once drastic licensing changes were made, I became a dislocated worker. Granted, I enjoyed my allied health career immensely, but I think that curve ball was thrown at me because the cosmos needs me to become a full-fledged physician.

There's no shot of me obtaining a well-paying job that will allow me to live independently away from family unless I become a M.D. It's either languish throughout this lifetime or go to medical school. When you put things in that perspective, it provides the necessary drive and motivation to accomplish it (and when I get like that, I am put on a warpath where nobody and nothing can stand in my way....it's as if I'm a steamroller barreling down all competition.) What actually gives me great pleasure is pretending that I'm in an army tank, guns a-blazing at all these Negative Nancies on the SDN forum. Positive thinking is the only way to get through it.

Humble much?

Reactions: 5 users
There's no shot of me obtaining a well-paying job that will allow me to live independently away from family unless I become a M.D. It's either languish throughout this lifetime or go to medical school.

Please say this verbatim during your med school interviews. They will eat it up. I should have thought of that. Now I really regret saying that medicine offers fulfillment via human servitude (a purpose greater than yourself) rather than self-servitude. Damn, rejections are headed my way. Now I'll just go languish throughout this lifetime.

Change your perspective to realizing that the "betterment of the community" is a great opportunity that most will never get - it's not an obligation forced onto you by some divine being. What are you, Jesus?

PS Nice bump on a three-year-old thread. Best stay inside your "army tank," because you're going to get thrashed by the world with that self-righteous attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
:laugh: I appreciate the time you spent on your post of doom and gloom, but if I may ask -- what was your life experience prior to attending med school?

"There is absolutely no way you could have any idea what you're getting into."

...So would it be safe to assume that med school is way harder than BUD/S training and the X-year commitment thereafter? I am impressed, being a med student must be pretty tuff stuff. :eek: (And to think, I thought it just involved studying and absorbing large mountains of information while sitting inside on a nice cozy chair. Eventually I assumed it must be much worse, you know, when you have to try to remember everything and apply it in a hospital setting, while being embarrassed by those mean old attendings in a nice cozy hospital. Countless late nights and nights without sleep: unfathomable. It must be terrible to know your whole life is on the line each moment of every day like that. The old "Pass=Dr." equation must have some type of inherent flaw.)

In other words, you should qualify your statements appropriately. "Most of the pre-meds who attend med school [right out of undergrad] are in store for a major shock from what they may have originally expected." VS "There is absolutely no way you could have any idea what you're getting into."

This thread got bumped and I see this post above from 3.5 years ago.

My immediate instinct was to abruptly delete it, but instead I'll own the shame of my ignorance and smack the arrogance out the mouth of my younger self.

As a premed -- you might have done more physically challenging things (ie athlete), you might have been in more stressful situations (ie active duty service), and you might have been balancing more plates and wearing more hats (ie single parent balancing work, classes, and parenthood as a nontrad).

But...

Doesn't change the fact that one doesn't truly and intimately understand the unique amalgam of experiences, that which is of being a medical student, until they are, in fact, a medical student.

For some it will be smooth and for some rough -- but truth is, there is some truth to the sentiment I was actively mocking in that quote ~3 years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Same here... I posted here soon after I found out I was going to medical school. Hard to believe I'll be graduating in 5 months. Your perspective changes a lot. Medicine wasn't what I thought it was, but I still love it and wouldn't do anything else.

Should be interesting when we're residents, looking back on ourselves as medical students... I'm not even gonna pretend to know exactly how hard residency is going to be...

Doesn't change the fact that one doesn't truly and intimately understand the unique amalgam of experiences, that which is of being a medical student, until they are, in fact, a medical student.

:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 users
Haha wow, this title really does describe how I have been feeling recently. Before I got accepted it was always the idea of "IF i get in I want to...." but now it is "WHEN I got to medical school next fall". I'm so glad I am not the only one! I am really excited about going, and now it is becoming so much more real.

On a related note, I drew blood for the first time today! I know it is really small, but hey, gotta learn the basics sometime. :p

EDIT: Just realized this thread is 3 years old. Oh well, I'm still glad to be sharing what I have been thinking about :)

It is a strange feeling when you get an acceptance. I know I'll go somewhere in the fall, but now I actually have to logistically sit down and make a plan (moving, shedding furniture, etc.). Most scary of all is the loans/finances of starting med school. It's like signing a contract in blood. I don't want to think about the finances until the summertime. Now is the time to save up a little emergency fund for the first year.

Also kind of funny is getting interview invites after being accepted. It's like...now I feel like the coin has flipped: med schools want me and I am the one choose to go or not - if money and time allows.

Please say this verbatim during your med school interviews. They will eat it up. I should have thought of that. Now I really regret saying that medicine offers fulfillment via human servitude (a purpose greater than yourself) rather than self-servitude. Damn, rejections are headed my way. Now I'll just go languish throughout this lifetime.

Change your perspective to realizing that the "betterment of the community" is a great opportunity that most will never get - it's not an obligation forced onto you by some divine being. What are you, Jesus?

PS Nice bump on a three-year-old thread. Best stay inside your "army tank," because you're going to get thrashed by the world with that self-righteous attitude.

And again, that's an extremely negative response to my post that didn't deserve it. I have no idea how you interpreted my post to be "self-righteous." Is your thinking a little off?? Sounds like it. It's called inner motivation. There's no such "self-serving" attitude here. It's a perfect balance between focusing on others and also taking care of yourself. BALANCE...and it seems like you cannot see that. God, people are jealous on this thing. It's sickening.

Keep obliviously following the "positive vibes," bro. If you reread your post, several red flags come to mind. Your use of "need" is too liberal when describing a career path.

(1) "Oh yeah, I also have to go to medical school" = obligation theme

(2) "I need to contribute to society greatly and use my inherent talents and skills for the betterment of the community" = obligation/self-righteousness - there's no such thing as inherent talents and skills. Again, do you think you are Jesus?

(3) "There's no shot of me obtaining a well-paying job that will allow me to live independently away from family unless I become a M.D. It's either languish throughout this lifetime or go to medical school" = Money is the focus here; never attractive to interviewers

(4) "...but I think that curve ball was thrown at me because the cosmos needs me to become a full-fledged physician" = Pretentiously thinking that you are destined to become a doctor in order to [2] "use my inherent talents and skills for the betterment of the community"

Keep obliviously following the "positive vibes," bro. If you reread your post, several red flags come to mind. Your use of "need" is too liberal when describing a career path.

(1) "Oh yeah, I also have to go to medical school" = obligation theme

(2) "I need to contribute to society greatly and use my inherent talents and skills for the betterment of the community" = obligation/self-righteousness - there's no such thing as inherent talents and skills. Again, do you think you are Jesus?

(3) "There's no shot of me obtaining a well-paying job that will allow me to live independently away from family unless I become a M.D. It's either languish throughout this lifetime or go to medical school" = Money is the focus here; never attractive to interviewers

(4) "...but I think that curve ball was thrown at me because the cosmos needs me to become a full-fledged physician" = Pretentiously thinking that you are destined to become a doctor in order to [2] "use my inherent talents and skills for the betterment of the community"

A) Clearly, there is a conflict of beliefs here. What you think to be self-righteous I do not. Jesus has nothing to do with this either. Are you a Christian fundamentalist by any chance? If you're a religious devotee of any denomination, please do not let it interfere with my own beliefs. I have tolerance for every belief system and religion, but when it outwardly gets thrust in my face in a negative fashion, we have a problem.

B) No such thing as inherent talents or skills? Did you take genetics? You do know that certain people are predisposed to having certain diseases, intellect, personalities, disorders, etc (with environment also contributing).....right? There are things that just come naturally to people, and genetics plays a big role in it. Figuring out what those things are and capitalizing on them would be a great goal for people to aspire to.

C) Money is not the focus here. I'll admit that I shouldn't have said "well-paying". That probably made the dollar signs light up in your head, causing you to let your tongue loose. As long as my basic fundamental human needs of food and shelter are satisfied, that's all that matters to me from the monetary standpoint. And you need to strike a balance between serving others and serving yourself. Thank the capitalist system of the USA for that. Sorry, but an element of selfishness is indeed required if you are to function in American capitalist society.

D) "Oh yeah, I also have to go to medical school" = obligation theme
Umm, read the title of this whole thread. "Anyone else suddenly realize they actually have to go to medical school?" I rest my case.

Reactions: 1 user
This thread got bumped and I see this post above from 3.5 years ago.

My immediate instinct was to abruptly delete it, but instead I'll own the shame of my ignorance and smack the arrogance out the mouth of my younger self.

As a premed -- you might have done more physically challenging things (ie athlete), you might have been in more stressful situations (ie active duty service), and you might have been balancing more plates and wearing more hats (ie single parent balancing work, classes, and parenthood as a nontrad).

But...

For some it will be smooth and for some rough -- but truth is, there is some truth to the sentiment I was actively mocking in that quote ~3 years ago.

I remember a lot of the stupid posts I made as a premed. I made the same silly arguments that occasionally flood preallo about average income for Americans and how unfair it is that doctors make so much. I thought I knew everything and that the med students and residents were just greedy whiners who didn't know what they were talking about. "You just sit there and study". Pretending to be humble as I mouthed off arrogantly and ignorantly. Just like circulus vitios assuring us on a daily basis how studying all day and walking around air conditioned halls as a doctor would be infinitely better than the hard manual labor he did everyday

If there's anything I've learned in medical school, it's how much I just don't know. Every day is humbling, full of things that I just don't know. And since I remember what it's like to be a premed, I always look for opportunities to give back. These things take time and experience and there's nothing better than an interested, experienced mentor

Reactions: 7 users