Anyone else suddenly realize they actually have to go to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Granted, I enjoyed my allied health career immensely, but I think that curve ball was thrown at me because the cosmos needs me to become a full-fledged physician.

Nobody really needs any of us to become an MD, individually, and to think otherwise is just conceited. Unless you end up discovering the cure for some type of cancer, I think the cosmos will survive OK without you entering the physician pool. That being said, good luck with your application and whatnot.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Nobody really needs any of us to become an MD, individually, and to think otherwise is just conceited. Unless you end up discovering the cure for some type of cancer, I think the cosmos will survive OK without you entering the physician pool. That being said, good luck with your application and whatnot.

In that case, then nobody really needs any of us to become anything, right? So why do you actually live and do what you do? What's your purpose in living, if other than just living and breathing? I'm curious.

You really believe that others NEED you to become a physician? Trust me, in the greater scheme of things, nobody really cares whether you decide to become a physician or a sanitation engineer. I do what I do because it's the life I chose, I enjoy it, and I will have the means to provide for my family. I hope to help people as well, but I don't have delusions of grandeur that the cosmos NEEDS me to become a physician. I've seen too much of reality to believe that. As I said, good luck to you, although I anticipate your time on this forum will be brief.

Members don't see this ad :)
You really believe that others NEED you to become a physician? Trust me, in the greater scheme of things, nobody really cares whether you decide to become a physician or a sanitation engineer. I do what I do because it's the life I chose, I enjoy it, and I will have the means to provide for my family. I hope to help people as well, but I don't have delusions of grandeur that the cosmos NEEDS me to become a physician. I've seen too much of reality to believe that. As I said, good luck to you, although I anticipate your time on this forum will be brief.

I never said OTHERS (or people) need me. The cosmos does. It's something greater that's pulling me, not people in particular. And if that's what motivates someone to accomplish things in life, then so be it. Don't knock or put down people for having different motivational purposes. You just misinterpreted what I said and put words in my mouth. Classic illogical tactic used by many people.

I will also completely rebuke your comment about "nobody caring." I thought CARE was supposed to be involved in the practice of medicine?? If there was nobody to care for, then why practice medicine in the first place? Maybe your priorities need to be re-assessed as well as your motivations for pursuing medical school in the first place. You seem to be a shining by-product of American capitalism. I honestly don't know how some of these posters are in medical school. It's really jaw-dropping, to say the very least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep I realized it. I'm ready for the challenge!

I would also like to put this out there. We are going to be doctor's. It is a gift from God. It isn't easy. But the continuous mention of the debt and blah blah. And losing our 20s and all the other stuff tends to get annoying. What else do you want? I know way too many people who have hard lives. Pick up your crap and study. Another thing is I have come to discover in life things are never as bad or good as people make it seem. Yes medical school is going to drain us. However, I just get this sense of entitlement out of people.

Shrug, many people face life changing or threatening careers the police officers, firemen and many other people. I'll tell you this I'd rather go through premed and face the upcoming process than to run into a burning building. I couldn't do it.

I believe we all were put on this earth to pay it forward. We all have different ways of doing it.
Bye SDN

To the above poster, I completely agree.

The opportunity cost of time doesn't matter as much to me [at this point]; however, the amount of debt just scares me. Debt = running up an endless sand hill without ever stopping. I am sure it is exhausting to see your salary go to loan debt and bring home what a waiter might.

Last edited:
To the above poster, I completely agree.

The opportunity cost of time doesn't matter as much to me [at this point]; however, the amount of debt just scares me. Debt = running up an endless sand hill without ever stopping. I am sure it is exhausting to see your salary go to loan debt and bring home what a waiter might.

This is why students need to be financially smart about things and actually research what student loan options you have available. For one thing, take out government loans instead of private loans. The repayment options are much better. The gov't has income-based or income-contingent repayment plans that provide affordable monthly payments based on your income (even while you're a resident, because I'd imagine that you need to start paying loans back during that time since you're getting paid).

Also, you might want to check out the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) plan. With that option, you can work for a non-profit organization (cue the light bulb going off: HOSPITAL), and as long as you make monthly payments for 10 years on ANY repayment plan, the remaining student loan debt is completely forgiven. Knowing this information makes me fearless about however much debt I will accumulate (especially since I'm not married and don't have children).

Why I'm freely providing this extremely helpful information to people who have antagonized me on this forum, I don't know, but that's just my service-oriented nature, I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, you might want to check out the Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) plan. With that option, you can work for a non-profit organization (cue the light bulb going off: HOSPITAL), and as long as you make monthly payments for 10 years on ANY repayment plan, the remaining student loan debt is completely forgiven. Knowing this information makes me fearless about however much debt I will accumulate.

The first cohort of qualifying borrowers won't have their debt forgiven until 2017. There has already been talk of introducing a cap on the amount forgiven (check out the financial aid forums). Expecting PSLF to be available when you "fearlessly" accumulate massive amounts of debt probably isn't a great idea.

I'm not sure if you're applying this cycle, but it'd probably be safer to assume that you will be paying your loans off in their entirety.

The first cohort of qualifying borrowers won't have their debt forgiven until 2017. There has already been talk of introducing a cap on the amount forgiven (check out the financial aid forums). Expecting PSLF to be available when you "fearlessly" accumulate massive amounts of debt probably isn't a great idea.

I'm not sure if you're applying this cycle, but it'd probably be safer to assume that you will be paying your loans off in their entirety.

Talk is just that....talk. Nothing to get nervous about. If a cap does come into play, then I'll just be a part of the student lobbyists who will advocate for special loan pardons for health care professionals. I'm not even in medical school yet, so realistically, I'll start paying off my six-figure debt in around 2021.

Still, I'm remaining fearless about the debt. To me, student loan debt for medical school is like age...it's just a number. In my opinion, going to medical school, which will actually give me a purpose to do something constructive with my life and save others' lives in the process, will make going into debt worth it. Since I won't be marrying or having kids (most likely), I won't be burdening any next of kin with my debt. Just in case, I will pre-pay my funeral expenses by the time I'm 50, just so the state can't take any money out of my accounts that would prevent me from having a proper funeral and entombment. I'd hate to even bring any children into the future society anyway with the rate it's going!

Talk is just that....talk. Nothing to get nervous about. If a cap does come into play, then I'll just be a part of the student lobbyists who will advocate for special loan pardons for health care professionals. I'm not even in medical school yet, so realistically, I'll start paying off my six-figure debt in around 2021.

Still, I'm remaining fearless about the debt. To me, student loan debt for medical school is like age...it's just a number. In my opinion, going to medical school, which will actually give me a purpose to do something constructive with my life and save others' lives in the process, will make going into debt worth it. Since I won't be marrying or having kids (most likely), I won't be burdening any next of kin with my debt. Just in case, I will pre-pay my funeral expenses by the time I'm 50, just so the state can't take any money out of my accounts that would prevent me from having a proper funeral and entombment. I'd hate to even bring any children into the future society anyway with the rate it's going!

Whatever helps you sleep at night, I guess.

The tone of your posts make me doubt that you are serious about medical school/path. I also think you misinterpreted the point of this thread when you necro-bumped it.

Firstly, missing the deadline to use on-the-job training to be able to sit for the certification exam doesn't mean the Cosmos want you to be a full blown pathologist. You can get a masters through one of the nine PA programs at a fraction of the cost of medical school and still make good money. You may use your awesome "technical skills" in residency, but you'll be doing a very different set of tasks as an attending.

Secondly, this thread was started by people who had already been accepted to medical school, but had yet to matriculate. They weren't discussing how the cosmos compelled them to become a super hero doctor. If you are genuine about becoming a doctor, I hope you will get to experience what they are talking about because it's kind of a bizarre, but awesome feeling.

Reactions: 2 users
A) Clearly, there is a conflict of beliefs here. What you think to be self-righteous I do not. Jesus has nothing to do with this either. Are you a Christian fundamentalist by any chance? If you're a religious devotee of any denomination, please do not let it interfere with my own beliefs. I have tolerance for every belief system and religion, but when it outwardly gets thrust in my face in a negative fashion, we have a problem.

B) No such thing as inherent talents or skills? Did you take genetics? You do know that certain people are predisposed to having certain diseases, intellect, personalities, disorders, etc (with environment also contributing).....right? There are things that just come naturally to people, and genetics plays a big role in it. Figuring out what those things are and capitalizing on them would be a great goal for people to aspire to.

C) Money is not the focus here. I'll admit that I shouldn't have said "well-paying". That probably made the dollar signs light up in your head, causing you to let your tongue loose. As long as my basic fundamental human needs of food and shelter are satisfied, that's all that matters to me from the monetary standpoint. And you need to strike a balance between serving others and serving yourself. Thank the capitalist system of the USA for that. Sorry, but an element of selfishness is indeed required if you are to function in American capitalist society.

D) "Oh yeah, I also have to go to medical school" = obligation theme
Umm, read the title of this whole thread. "Anyone else suddenly realize they actually have to go to medical school?" I rest my case.

A) "Clearly there is a conflict of beliefs here, you read what I wrote and I didn't." Then you took the opportunity to pick out a very obviously sarcastic comparison to Jesus to speculate whether he is a fundamentalist Christian (???). Not sure how you got there but my favorite part was when you immediately followed up your cherry picking of the only vaguely religious reference in someone's post to say that you are tolerant of all beliefs - except, of course, when you are not.

B) "I have discovered that I am genetically crafted to become a physician and other people should figure out what they were made to." ??????????? I don't even have words for this. Sure nature and nurture play a very large role in everything but you can claim certainty in none of that unless you have a perfect record of your environment throughout your life, a more complete understanding of that knowledge than all of science, and the isolation of many "physician genes" from your genome that you had sequenced for some reason. I don't even see the point of making this one of your main points.

C) If those are your only needs then why did you say that becoming a physician was the only way that you could accomplish this? Even in the most expensive cities basic needs don't require an astronomic income provided you choose your neighborhood wisely.

C part 2) Balance? What "Balance"? You state your life's purpose is to serve others through medicine, as you have divined from the tea leaves, but then say something about needing to satisfy capitalism in order to be successful in this country??? What the actual..There is no balance in medicine. For the most important and often longest phase of the training you are giving your whole life, outside of 2-4 hours a day, to medicine. That's not balance. There's no way to balanc residency work hours into anything resembling normal life because you are at the complete and uninterrupted service of people other than yourself all of the time and even when you are not you have responsibilities to your significant other if you have one, children, etc. If you have no responsibility to others outside of your job then you are alone. That's not selfish. That's giving up a huge part of normal, daily human life for a profession. Where is the balance there? Wanting more money to strike a balance in a capitalist society isn't striking a balance, it's appeasement because you feel you needed to give something up in return for that money. Namely time and opportunity. There's nothing wrong with that but I certainly wouldn't call it "striking a balance between serving yourself and others". Medicine is others all of the time, very little has to do with you if at all.

D) But you haven't realized that you have to go to medical school. You yourself stated that you haven't been accepted to medical school yet. The thread is about accepted students feeling bewildered at the prospect of reaching a long time goal but slowly acclimating to the idea of an even longer, harder road ahead. All you did was realize that you "have" to go to medical school because it is all you want to do. I can understand wanting to do medicine over anything else in the world; I can identify with that. I think we all can. But "have to"? As in the "cosmos" is dramatically pulling our strings, dancing us like marionettes towards where we belong to be? I'm a huge fan of following the religious antagonism with outright bloody superstition, believe me, but I couldn't think of another way to come off as more conceited, self-important if not deluded.

Overall your posts make absolutely zero sense at all. I haven't been more confused since the Star Wars prequels. Literally nothing you said made any sense whatsoever and seems like it was just made up on the spot to cover up a comment that was clearly about self-involvement and the fear of losing an expected or familiar lifestyle.

If nothing else, you should at least acknowledge the irony in necrobumping a thread about finally being faced with the real life expectations of practicing medicine by throwing in some unfounded but confident sounding conjectures about practicing medicine and destiny while, simultaneously, former posters in this same thread have come back and laid their naïveté and ignorance in those years to bare for the instruction of future generations. You are doing precisely what they did all of those years ago in this thread: Hopefully, confidently stumbling in a mysterious world ahead meanwhile justifying your every step for fear of some unknown failure, pitfall in the years to come.

Reactions: 3 users
A) "Clearly there is a conflict of beliefs here, you read what I wrote and I didn't." Then you took the opportunity to pick out a very obviously sarcastic comparison to Jesus to speculate whether he is a fundamentalist Christian (???). Not sure how you got there but my favorite part was when you immediately followed up your cherry picking of the only vaguely religious reference in someone's post to say that you are tolerant of all beliefs - except, of course, when you are not.

B) "I have discovered that I am genetically crafted to become a physician and other people should figure out what they were made to." ??????????? I don't even have words for this. Sure nature and nurture play a very large role in everything but you can claim certainty in none of that unless you have a perfect record of your environment throughout your life, a more complete understanding of that knowledge than all of science, and the isolation of many "physician genes" from your genome that you had sequenced for some reason. I don't even see the point of making this one of your main points.

C) If those are your only needs then why did you say that becoming a physician was the only way that you could accomplish this? Even in the most expensive cities basic needs don't require an astronomic income provided you choose your neighborhood wisely.

C part 2) Balance? What "Balance"? You state your life's purpose is to serve others through medicine, as you have divined from the tea leaves, but then say something about needing to satisfy capitalism in order to be successful in this country??? What the actual..There is no balance in medicine. For the most important and often longest phase of the training you are giving your whole life, outside of 2-4 hours a day, to medicine. That's not balance. There's no way to balanc residency work hours into anything resembling normal life because you are at the complete and uninterrupted service of people other than yourself all of the time and even when you are not you have responsibilities to your significant other if you have one, children, etc. If you have no responsibility to others outside of your job then you are alone. That's not selfish. That's giving up a huge part of normal, daily human life for a profession. Where is the balance there? Wanting more money to strike a balance in a capitalist society isn't striking a balance, it's appeasement because you feel you needed to give something up in return for that money. Namely time and opportunity. There's nothing wrong with that but I certainly wouldn't call it "striking a balance between serving yourself and others". Medicine is others all of the time, very little has to do with you if at all.

D) But you haven't realized that you have to go to medical school. You yourself stated that you haven't been accepted to medical school yet. The thread is about accepted students feeling bewildered at the prospect of reaching a long time goal but slowly acclimating to the idea of an even longer, harder road ahead. All you did was realize that you "have" to go to medical school because it is all you want to do. I can understand wanting to do medicine over anything else in the world; I can identify with that. I think we all can. But "have to"? As in the "cosmos" is dramatically pulling our strings, dancing us like marionettes towards where we belong to be? I'm a huge fan of following the religious antagonism with outright bloody superstition, believe me, but I couldn't think of another way to come off as more conceited, self-important if not deluded.

Overall your posts make absolutely zero sense at all. I haven't been more confused since the Star Wars prequels. Literally nothing you said made any sense whatsoever and seems like it was just made up on the spot to cover up a comment that was clearly about self-involvement and the fear of losing an expected or familiar lifestyle.

If nothing else, you should at least acknowledge the irony in necrobumping a thread about finally being faced with the real life expectations of practicing medicine by throwing in some unfounded but confident sounding conjectures about practicing medicine and destiny while, simultaneously, former posters in this same thread have come back and laid their naïveté and ignorance in those years to bare for the instruction of future generations. You are doing precisely what they did all of those years ago in this thread: Hopefully, confidently stumbling in a mysterious world ahead meanwhile justifying your every step for fear of some unknown failure, pitfall in the years to come.
OP JUST GOT PWNED (OP being whoever Lucca responded to)

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^ complete ignorami (I did not even bother reading any of the so-called "rebuttals" to my previous post....for someone to write such a long-winded diatribe countering me is not only completely ridiculous, but speaks highly of that person as a human being...let alone how much time that person has on his/her hands)

^^^ complete ignorami (I did not even bother reading any of the so-called "rebuttals" to my previous post....for someone to write such a long-winded diatribe countering me is not only completely ridiculous, but speaks highly of that person as a human being...let alone how much time that person has on his/her hands)
image.jpg
We got a badass (read: naive ignorant selfish premed who missed the entire point of this thread when he necrobumped it and who clearly couldn't think of a counter argument to Lucca so Lucca definitely wins) over here.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1420060909.095268.jpg

It is "ignoramuses" not ignorami. It's from the Latin "We are ignorant", making it a verb, not a noun.

That link you posted doesn't seem to lead me to merrian webster so here's a better one for you.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/ignoramus

That's not necessarily better at all. Clicking on the link I gave does lead to the exact page, so maybe there's a problem with your browser? Even if that is the case, I can see that you didn't take the effort to actually go to the Merriam-Webster site and look up the word for yourself. Heck, there's even an audio clip of ignorami, too (just in case you need the correct pronunciation). It appears as if you just blurted out another site that seems to support your position. Exceptionally closed-minded indeed. Although perhaps the better word here would be.....ignoramus.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not necessarily better at all. Clicking on the link I gave does lead to the exact page, so maybe there's a problem with your browser? Even if that is the case, I can see that you didn't take the effort to actually go to the Merriam-Webster site and look up the word for yourself. Heck, there's even an audio clip of ignorami, too (just in case you need the correct pronunciation). It appears as if you just blurted out another site that seems to support your position. Exceptionally closed-minded indeed.
I like buffalo wings. What's your favorite food?

Fried calamari with lemon and marinara sauce.
That sounds both amazing and classy. I'm guessing the lemon complements the marinara and gives the calamari a nice freshness.

Isn't deep-frying the best?

That sounds both amazing and classy. I'm guessing the lemon complements the marinara and gives the calamari a nice freshness.

Isn't deep-frying the best?

Haha it does wonders for your abdominal aorta. And yes, the acidity of both the lemon and the marinara sauce goes so well together. Combine that with the fried, tender goodness of the calamari and you have heaven on earth.

That's not necessarily better at all. Clicking on the link I gave does lead to the exact page, so maybe there's a problem with your browser? Even if that is the case, I can see that you didn't take the effort to actually go to the Merriam-Webster site and look up the word for yourself. Heck, there's even an audio clip of ignorami, too (just in case you need the correct pronunciation). It appears as if you just blurted out another site that seems to support your position. Exceptionally closed-minded indeed. Although perhaps the better word here would be.....ignoramus.

You actually don't know that much at all do you.

You actually don't know that much at all do you.
Have you had poutine? That stuff is like, ambrosia. You should get some poutine, then you wouldn't look so dark and gloomy because you'd be happy and filled with poutine!

Y'all need some cucumber slice!

But seriously, I'm extremely thankful I got accepted. Extremely nervous as well. It hit me not too long ago. I know the amount of studying I'm about to do is going to be overwhelming, but as long as I have my green tea in hand and some friends and family by my side, I know I'll be able to pull through. :clap::clap::clap:

That is totally fair, and I am glad that while you feel pressure from the responsibility you have taken on, it is not because you are not where you want to be.

I agree, it is not easy. And the reason I KNOW it is not easy is because I have done it...I am doing it. 7 years ago I walked away from another career with more than 200k of educational debt. And I am now signing up for another 200k.

Can most people do it? No. People who are practically strangers love to tell me every day that I am nuts or making a mistake. Though since I have gotten into medical school, they have changed their minds a bit.:rolleyes:

It is really really hard to pull a 180 in your life. REALLY hard. Even people who love you and are close to you will find it hard to support you because they won't think it is the best thing for you. It takes bravery and stamina and tears and a hell of a lot of will and belief in yourself. You lose a lot of friends, have a lot of sleepless nights, and are always wondering if you're doing the right thing. But what keeps you going is knowing how it felt when you were doing the wrong thing....and knowing how it feels when you are doing the right thing.

Is it easy? No. Can it be done? You bet your sweet butt:)

Absolutely! You just have to put the blinders on and go full-steam ahead. That's all you can really do. Even some of the people on this forum....if they antagonize you or seek to make you an enemy, don't listen to them. They can't do a darn thing to you in Internet land, and karma will get them in the end (perhaps through family suffering or a medical malpractice suit...who knows, but something will indeed come to them). In fact, their negativity and derision are great motivators to actually do well and succeed. That's what "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" is really all about. People are extremely jealous of others who have all that positive energy and hardcore motivation. You only live once, too, so you got nothing to lose. As for me, I'm prepared to do what it takes to get into a medical school. If not one school somewhere accepts me, then there will be hell to pay. I can guarantee that.

the sacrifices of med school are nothing compared to the sacrifices you make working in a dead-end job. time is your most precious asset and i can't think of a better way to be spending mine right now. i'm just a first year, but i'm pretty sure i'll never want to go back to what i was doing before.

The American Dream is out of reach for so many people born into poverty. You see that when you're working a minimum wage job and are surrounded by people who grew up poor and worried about finding their next meal.

Last edited:
Absolutely! You just have to put the blinders on and go full-steam ahead. That's all you can really do. Even some of the people on this forum....if they antagonize you or seek to make you an enemy, don't listen to them. They can't do a darn thing to you in Internet land, and karma will get them in the end (perhaps through family suffering or a medical malpractice suit...who knows, but something will indeed come to them). In fact, their negativity and derision are great motivators to actually do well and succeed. That's what "keep your friends close and your enemies closer" is really all about. People are extremely jealous of others who have all that positive energy and hardcore motivation. You only live once, too, so you got nothing to lose. As for me, I'm prepared to do what it takes to get into a medical school. If not one school somewhere accepts me, then there will be hell to pay. I can guarantee that.
"There will be hell to pay"? What are you gonna do? "Nothing but improve my application for the next cycle" is the correct answer. After seeing your other blatantly ignorant and uninformed and rather tasteless posts, I think you're becoming SDN's version of the village idiot. Oh, and only a complete coward would post "They can't do a darn thing to you in Internet land" and be proud of it.

There's a difference between hating and giving honest feedback. I'm somewhat bothered by your usage of karma as a motivator, as it seems to imply that you'll obtain joy in watching someone you dislike encounter family suffering or medical malpractice, particularly because both of those examples require external collateral damage. While I applaud you for your dedication towards realizing your dreams, I'm also equally as bothered by your final statement that there will be "hell to pay" if no school accepts you, as it just rings of entitlement by more or less implying that one of those spots is your right.

I don't know, have you considered the possibility that medicine isn't for you?

lol at Path. Your outlook on basically.....well everything, is incredibly amusing to the rest of us. Good show.

I give Path a 9/10. It was a pretty well-done troll job.

I'd give him 8/10 but I think he's actually that delusional. He sent a PM a couple of days ago about or exchange in this thread saying that it is "never wise to argue with [him]...ever". Sub him for "me". His words not mine. I'd post the rest (because it is hilarious) but I think posting the content of a PM verbatim is against TOS.

I'd give him 8/10 but I think he's actually that delusional. He sent a PM a couple of days ago about or exchange in this thread saying that it is "never wise to argue with [him]...ever". Sub him for "me". His words not mine. I'd post the rest (because it is hilarious) but I think posting the content of a PM verbatim is against TOS.
He PM'd something dumb and easily reportable to you too? Lol I thought I was the only one.

Fourthed.
Well damn now I just feel left out. Guess I'll have to try harder.

Edit: But actually, if he's not trolling then I foresee him spending a large chunk of his life behind bars.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Dude reminds me of a young Ark.

Try harder next time

I wish I had a PM from PathAsst, I also feel left out. This thread is hilarious.

Regarding the topic of this thread:

Absolutely not, I have been looking forward to med school since high school, or possibly earlier. I am looking forward to being a doctor, but I am also looking forward to med school in and of itself. My older sister went to med school right near home, so I saw first-hand (second-hand?) all the stuff that happens after the acceptance.

I just hope I get accepted to med school. First I need my MCAT score, that will hopefully be released in about 6 hours.

I enjoyed high school, and I enjoyed college. I enjoy a challenge. It is not always fun, but it can be so rewarding. People ask, "how can you tolerate so many more years of school?" I like school. The worst part about school is that they don't pay you.

I just hope med school isn't too hard. It can be very hard, that is okay. But by definition, "too hard" means that I either drop out or it damages my health or something. So I hope I get accepted, and I hope that I survive med school in good health.

Setting the bar high is a good thing. It is proper to be somewhat scared by your goals.

I wish I had a PM from PathAsst, I also feel left out. This thread is hilarious.

Regarding the topic of this thread:

Absolutely not, I have been looking forward to med school since high school, or possibly earlier. I am looking forward to being a doctor, but I am also looking forward to med school in and of itself. My older sister went to med school right near home, so I saw first-hand (second-hand?) all the stuff that happens after the acceptance.

I just hope I get accepted to med school. First I need my MCAT score, that will hopefully be released in about 6 hours.

I enjoyed high school, and I enjoyed college. I enjoy a challenge. It is not always fun, but it can be so rewarding. People ask, "how can you tolerate so many more years of school?" I like school. The worst part about school is that they don't pay you.

I just hope med school isn't too hard. It can be very hard, that is okay. But by definition, "too hard" means that I either drop out or it damages my health or something. So I hope I get accepted, and I hope that I survive med school in good health.

Setting the bar high is a good thing. It is proper to be somewhat scared by your goals.
Good luck on your MCAT

Med school is just... difficult in a different way than most people are used to. I think it takes from you I ways that you wouldn't exactly expect. It also forces you to grow up (at least for me I feel like I've matured as a human being more in the last semester than I did throughout my entire undergrad career)

Good luck on your MCAT

Med school is just... difficult in a different way than most people are used to. I think it takes from you I ways that you wouldn't exactly expect. It also forces you to grow up (at least for me I feel like I've matured as a human being more in the last semester than I did throughout my entire undergrad career)

I think this is very accurate. In addition to the obvious added workload, I think there's also the psychological aspect of medical school. The pre-clinical years can be difficult to maintain motivation because it feels far away from being a doctor. You have added pressures that you didn't have in college (at least for me): you can't help but compare yourself to classmates, constantly wonder if you're good enough to be here, worry if you're studying enough, etc. It took me awhile to get over that.

The clinical years are difficult in a different way. You have a lot less free time. You spend all of your time at the hospital/clinic, then you're expected to study somewhere in between for shelf exams. It's a steep learning curve going from lectures to the hospital, with a whole new language and culture to learn. And you realize that what you've learned in your 2 pre-clinical years is just the tip of the iceberg...

But despite all that... I love what I do. I've never regretted my decision to go into medicine. I definitely enjoyed the clinical years more than the pre-clinical ones.