Canez81

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
60
0
miami, fl
Status
Medical Student
Well i've been studying for 3 months hardcore and i came to a serious realization that im not prepared enough to get the score i need (29-31) because it wasnt happening on my practice aamc's. I think it would be a bigger mistake to take this exam with inconsistent practice scores than to just wait till january and have more time to prepare and work on weaknesses. Anyone else in the same boat?
 

STIG

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2004
174
0
NY
Status
Pre-Dental
Canez81 said:
Well i've been studying for 3 months hardcore and i came to a serious realization that im not prepared enough to get the score i need (29-31) because it wasnt happening on my practice aamc's. I think it would be a bigger mistake to take this exam with inconsistent practice scores than to just wait till january and have more time to prepare and work on weaknesses. Anyone else in the same boat?

No don't do it. You still have 2 more weeks to go. Do hardcore in 2 weeks and I think you will be just fine.

I did that last april and I think that was a mistake.

Even if you wait till Jan and when Jan comes around, you will still feel not well prepared as I am feeling right now.

Good Luck to you!
 

TalulaTalula

"sleep when you are dead"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2005
31
0
cali
Status
dc52e55 said:
No don't do it. You still have 2 more weeks to go. Do hardcore in 2 weeks and I think you will be just fine.

I did that last april and I think that was a mistake.

Even if you wait till Jan and when Jan comes around, you will still feel not well prepared as I am feeling right now.

Good Luck to you!

ditto :thumbup:
 
About the Ads

megaman1x

Member
10+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
98
0
Status
Medical Student
Don't listen to the above two comments. If you honestly don't feel prepared, then don't write it. It's going to crush your morale if you write it and get a bad mark.

Having said that, this is certainly the last paper and pencil MCAT. So the CBT test in January may throw you off. So if you are backing out due to nerves...then you need to muster up the courage and write this exam. If you HONESTLY and TRULY don't feel ready or prepared....then don't write it.
 
OP
C

Canez81

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
60
0
miami, fl
Status
Medical Student
thanks for the encouragement from the previous replies, but we all know that even with 2 weeks of hardcore studying, this isnt the type of exam were there will be a major type of increase in just 2 weeks, it takes time to see major results. Megaman sees where im coming from in that if i do take it, it will be a major blow in seeing a poor score, knowing very well that i wasnt prepared in the 1st place. It isnt nerves, its just being realistic and going about this the right way, im not willing to blow a test attempt when i clearly know im not ready. Plus the admissions ticket with "refund" is already in the mail :( ....thanks for everyones replies.
 

megaman1x

Member
10+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
98
0
Status
Medical Student
Canez81 said:
thanks for the encouragement from the previous replies, but we all know that even with 2 weeks of hardcore studying, this isnt the type of exam were there will be a major type of increase in just 2 weeks, it takes time to see major results. Megaman sees where im coming from in that if i do take it, it will be a major blow in seeing a poor score, knowing very well that i wasnt prepared in the 1st place. It isnt nerves, its just being realistic and going about this the right way, im not willing to blow a test attempt when i clearly know im not ready. Plus the admissions ticket with "refund" is already in the mail :( ....thanks for everyones replies.
Good move. "Hardcore" studying in 2 weeks was NOT going to do anything. Anything you learn would go into short term memory and probably be lost due to panic or time constraints on test day. At least you get back a partial refund.
 

Knickerbocker

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2006
1,551
5
Texas
Status
Dental Student
megaman1x said:
Good move. "Hardcore" studying in 2 weeks was NOT going to do anything. Anything you learn would go into short term memory and probably be lost due to panic or time constraints on test day. At least you get back a partial refund.
The deadline for the 50% refund was August 4th at 11:59pm, so if they aren't taking it, hopefully they cancelled yesterday.
 

googlinggoogler

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2006
96
0
Status
Pre-Medical
yeah, me too, and feeling kinda guilty. At least the guilt's gonna make me study harder..I hope. :cool:
 

megaman1x

Member
10+ Year Member
May 20, 2006
98
0
Status
Medical Student
Knickerbocker said:
The deadline for the 50% refund was August 4th at 11:59pm, so if they aren't taking it, hopefully they cancelled yesterday.
Maybe if you write the date and time of when you write VOID on the ticket they will still accept the refund? I'm not sure.
 

googlinggoogler

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2006
96
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I got an email from the MCAT saying that the ticket must be postmarked by August 7th for the partial refund. I hope that wasn't a mistake.
 

jmart

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2006
211
0
34
Ohio
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm stuck on 21, and you can't take it with that low of a score. I'm pushing it back until January as well. I'm not worried about the money refund, it's nothing in the long run and miracles do happen.
 

IckeyShuffle

MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
613
0
Status
Pre-Medical
here is an idea because it is what i did in April. I was in the same position and felt very unprepared but had already paid for the test. I decided to write it and VOID the score and just do it for practice. No one will ever know you took it. Taking extra time was good because i feel much more prepared now. So you can always improve :)
 

M bhai MBBS

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
27
0
Status
Pre-Medical
allennh said:
here is an idea because it is what i did in April. I was in the same position and felt very unprepared but had already paid for the test. I decided to write it and VOID the score and just do it for practice. No one will ever know you took it. Taking extra time was good because i feel much more prepared now. So you can always improve :)

how can u VOID the score?? You just tell them at the end of the Exam when you hand it in??? is that how it is??
 
About the Ads
OP
C

Canez81

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
60
0
miami, fl
Status
Medical Student
yeah they ask you after every section if you would like to void it and one more time at the end of the whole exam. But i dont see myself paying $210 "just to see how it is" and get the experience just to void it in the end, i much prefer the 50 percent refund.
 

Golfing_Doc

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
115
0
Status
Pre-Medical
Did they change the policies for refunds? I didn't go to last April's MCAT and with an unused entrance ticket, I got my $100 back.
 

Summer Sweet

Le chéri, c'est la vie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2006
175
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think I decided not to take it around mid-July...so I didn't even register because nothing really changed my mind between mid-July and the last day for late registration. I'm thinking about taking it either February/March-ish, or maybe push back my summer classes and study for the summer MCAT instead. But I feel so guilty for delaying graduation, applications, etc., for so long...
 

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
Bronze Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
22,165
158
Between Heaven and Hell, benching like crazy
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Summer Sweet said:
I think I decided not to take it around mid-July...so I didn't even register because nothing really changed my mind between mid-July and the last day for late registration. I'm thinking about taking it either February/March-ish, or maybe push back my summer classes and study for the summer MCAT instead. But I feel so guilty for delaying graduation, applications, etc., for so long...
There is no Feb/March MCAT administration - It jumps from Jan to April.
 

mommy2three

PGY-1
10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2005
1,246
229
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
on the fence....could possibly do better than when i previusly took it but not sure if it will be enough.
plus unsure how schools will look at three times (although my prev scores are from april 2004 and are only good for this application year anyway so i would have to take it again to apply next summer...i am not sure if that would be looked at differently than three consecutive times??)
anyway i disgress...i am on the fence...i have one more practice test next weekend and if i am not where i would like to be then i will probably not sit for the exam.
 

preludexl

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2001
219
2
Visit site
Status
mommy2three said:
on the fence....could possibly do better than when i previusly took it but not sure if it will be enough.
plus unsure how schools will look at three times (although my prev scores are from april 2004 and are only good for this application year anyway so i would have to take it again to apply next summer...i am not sure if that would be looked at differently than three consecutive times??)
anyway i disgress...i am on the fence...i have one more practice test next weekend and if i am not where i would like to be then i will probably not sit for the exam.
Do they count it as a negative if you dont do well one time and do better the next? I feel nervous too having only decided to take the mcat in early july but screw it. I paid and I've put time into it so I might as well finish it. I am not the type who just gives up at the end and not see things to completion.
 

yumimartian

yumimartian
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2005
52
0
San Francisco, CA
Status
i agree with you. if you're not feeling confident and you're just walking into the test hoping for a miracle, that would be too risky. but then again, you still have some time to study and there is hope for improvement. you just gotta do some hardcore studying. anyways, best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do!


Canez81 said:
Well i've been studying for 3 months hardcore and i came to a serious realization that im not prepared enough to get the score i need (29-31) because it wasnt happening on my practice aamc's. I think it would be a bigger mistake to take this exam with inconsistent practice scores than to just wait till january and have more time to prepare and work on weaknesses. Anyone else in the same boat?
 

RAD11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
3,300
1
Status
Pre-Medical
It's official....i just mailed my admission ticket for a refund. Too bad we're just getting 50%. Oh well.
 

RAD11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
3,300
1
Status
Pre-Medical
Orthodoc40 said:
I've got half an hour to go and can't decide whether to mail it or not....!!
A 28 on yesterday's practice test....If my score is lower on the real thing, though....
So what did you decide to do?
 
About the Ads

Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
3,039
22
Between Michigan & Massachusetts
Status
Medical Student
RAD11 said:
So what did you decide to do?
I just couldn't do it! I've still got my admission ticket here...
If my practice scores are encouraging over the next 2 weeks, I'll go and take it, and if not, I'll just live with it... I just can't give up!
Talk about beating your head against a wall... LOL!!!
 

pufferfish

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2005
219
0
Rio
Status
Orthodoc40 said:
I just couldn't do it! I've still got my admission ticket here...
If my practice scores are encouraging over the next 2 weeks, I'll go and take it, and if not, I'll just live with it... I just can't give up!
Talk about beating your head against a wall... LOL!!!
same thing here!!! damn it to hell when you're so close yet so far... i busted my arse all day today, and will do the same through next wednesday. hopefully :luck: will find me.

love the dog!!!
 

BigRedPremed

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2005
1,437
2
Status
Pre-Medical
Last summer I studied for the MCAT with a friend. I decided to take the August MCAT while my friend decided to defer till April. I thought it was a little strange since I felt he was prepared but he insisted that he needed more time. He ultimately scored a 38. The point being, don't listen to what other people say or think. It's ultimately up to you to decide whether or not you're ready.
 

RAD11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
3,300
1
Status
Pre-Medical
Orthodoc40 said:
I just couldn't do it! I've still got my admission ticket here...
If my practice scores are encouraging over the next 2 weeks, I'll go and take it, and if not, I'll just live with it... I just can't give up!
Talk about beating your head against a wall... LOL!!!
Haha...I had a feeling you weren't gonna send it. :luck:
 

Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2005
3,039
22
Between Michigan & Massachusetts
Status
Medical Student
pufferfish said:
same thing here!!! damn it to hell when you're so close yet so far... i busted my arse all day today, and will do the same through next wednesday. hopefully :luck: will find me.

love the dog!!!
Thanks - that's my doggie & his favorite toy "the baby" - don't they kind of look alike?!! :laugh:

Anyway - good luck!! :luck:
 

RAD11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
3,300
1
Status
Pre-Medical
For those who started studying for August but deferring 'til January, are you guys starting from the beginning again? I was thinking of starting my 10-Week Examkracker Schedule again......and will go over a few times. What are you doing differently this time around? I really need to be consistent on Verbal. :cool:
 

sk06

New Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
94
0
35
Status
Pre-Dental
Canez81 said:
Well i've been studying for 3 months hardcore and i came to a serious realization that im not prepared enough to get the score i need (29-31) because it wasnt happening on my practice aamc's. I think it would be a bigger mistake to take this exam with inconsistent practice scores than to just wait till january and have more time to prepare and work on weaknesses. Anyone else in the same boat?
I sent in my refund request yesterday. I'm in the same situation- i keep making scores in the low 20s which is definately not good enough to get into med schools. It's weird to just postpone it since its been the focus of the whole summer but it's better to be prepared when you take it then to be unsure of yourself. :confused:
 

Summer Sweet

Le chéri, c'est la vie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2006
175
1
Status
Resident [Any Field]
megboo said:
There is no Feb/March MCAT administration - It jumps from Jan to April.
Oh, thanks for telling me. I totally thought there was one around late Feb. I suppose April/May is just as doable. Gives me spring break to study, at least. :rolleyes:
 

viciouz

WesternU 2013
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
712
1
Chino Hillls
Status
Medical Student
whens the last day to send to withdraw from the test? and how do you withdraw... i am considering not taking it yet... i feel poorly prepared cuz i just got a 25 on AAMC 9 when I just scored a 27 on AAMC last week. =[
 

RAD11

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
3,300
1
Status
Pre-Medical
viciouz said:
whens the last day to send to withdraw from the test? and how do you withdraw... i am considering not taking it yet... i feel poorly prepared cuz i just got a 25 on AAMC 9 when I just scored a 27 on AAMC last week. =[
Just don't show up on test day....it's too late to get a refund though 'cause it had to be postmarked by Aug 7th.
 

malisa

OB/Gyn
10+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2005
331
3
Alaska
Status
Attending Physician
So what exactly happens if you take this one and get a bad score? At this point I feel as if I will be taking it again in Jan so should I void the score? Do I still get to know what I made? And do medical schools look at all the scores you've ever made or just the most recent?
 

richmond604

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 13, 2006
75
0
Status
malisa said:
So what exactly happens if you take this one and get a bad score? At this point I feel as if I will be taking it again in Jan so should I void the score? Do I still get to know what I made? And do medical schools look at all the scores you've ever made or just the most recent?
that will depend on which med school you apply methinks
 

M bhai MBBS

Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2006
27
0
Status
Pre-Medical
if you void the score, dosent that means that its not going to be in ur record??? i think AAMC people wont even grade your exam and nor would medical school would know about it. i hope i m rite, if not somone plz correct me. thanks
 

BigRedPremed

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2005
1,437
2
Status
Pre-Medical
As long as you void it before you leave the testing center, you're fine. But it's tough to study all summer for a test, pay $200, go through the stress of taking the test, only to void it in the end.
 

malisa

OB/Gyn
10+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2005
331
3
Alaska
Status
Attending Physician
So every school is different as to whether they look at all of your scores or only your most recent? I mean if I do average this time and I take it again in January and do much better it wouldn't hurt my chances since I took it twice?
 
About the Ads