10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Feb 12, 1999
Canada
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Hey guys,

I'm writing the American Board of Surgery Qualifying exam next month. Is anyone elso writing? ?Kimberli - you must be doing it right? I am trying to find a list of objectives for the exam so I can study any areas I might be deficient. Otherwise, I'm just planning to show up and see what happens (everyone else I know who's used this strategy has passed without any problem). Does anyone know if there are a list of topics/objectives etc. for this exam?

Another question: I am currently a fellow. The ABS says you have to have a full unrestricted licence to write the Certifying exam. Can i still do this part of the exam if I am a fellow and therefore only can get an educational licence? My fellowship is 2 years and i really don't want to put the exam off for that long and have to re-learn everything.

Thanks for all your help as always.

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
tussy said:
Hey guys,

I'm writing the American Board of Surgery Qualifying exam next month. Is anyone elso writing? ?Kimberli - you must be doing it right? I am trying to find a list of objectives for the exam so I can study any areas I might be deficient. Otherwise, I'm just planning to show up and see what happens (everyone else I know who's used this strategy has passed without any problem). Does anyone know if there are a list of topics/objectives etc. for this exam?

Another question: I am currently a fellow. The ABS says you have to have a full unrestricted licence to write the Certifying exam. Can i still do this part of the exam if I am a fellow and therefore only can get an educational licence? My fellowship is 2 years and i really don't want to put the exam off for that long and have to re-learn everything.

Thanks for all your help as always.
tussy...

you can find an outline of the exam content at the ABS web site: http://home.absurgery.org/xfer/GS-QE.pdf

Admittedly, its pretty basic and vague, but there are plenty of study guides available in the US, and presumably Canada, which can give you examples (the ABS site also has some sample questions).

I don't know about the issue of medical licensure except that I too was under the impression that you have to have a full, unrestricted medical license to take the exam. I know this because I am NOT taking the exam this year but rather next year and since my current license will expire before the August written exam, clarified that I either have to renew it or get another state license (ie, in another state) before the exam. Since you are training in Canada, I don't honestly know what the requirements are; you need to check with the ABS asap because if they require you to have a US license or an unrestricted Canadian license then you will have to postpone your exam until next year (and get some of your money back).

I thought you had to take it within 2 years of completing your residency - please check and make sure that if you do decide to wait until the end of your fellowship that you are still eligible. Just checked...indeed if you don't take it this year, you MUST take it next year, according to ABS web site.

Best of luck...

OP
T

tussy

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Feb 12, 1999
Canada
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Thanks Kimberli,

Writing the written component (the qualifying part) of the exam is fine with an educational licence. It's the second part that (the certifying part) where it becomes an issue. I just spoke to some fellows who are a year ahead of me, and they were able to write it without any issues, so I guess it won't be a problem.

I think i'm goign to go with my original plan of just showing up to the exam and seeing how I do. The exam is a good excuse for a vacation (I have to travel to the states to write it). I chose Las Vegas (cheap flights and cheap hotels this time of year) to write. Should be fun. If I fail - well, I guess I get to pick a different city next year. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Cheers,

Tuss

About the Ads

Winged Scapula

Cougariffic!
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2000
forums.studentdoctor.net
Status
Attending Physician
tussy said:
Thanks Kimberli,

Writing the written component (the qualifying part) of the exam is fine with an educational licence. It's the second part that (the certifying part) where it becomes an issue. I just spoke to some fellows who are a year ahead of me, and they were able to write it without any issues, so I guess it won't be a problem.

I think i'm goign to go with my original plan of just showing up to the exam and seeing how I do. The exam is a good excuse for a vacation (I have to travel to the states to write it). I chose Las Vegas (cheap flights and cheap hotels this time of year) to write. Should be fun. If I fail - well, I guess I get to pick a different city next year. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Cheers,

Tuss
Good luck! I decided not to take it this year because a) I didn't feel ready and b) you only have so many chances to take it (ie, if you fail x number of times something bad supposedly happens, like you can't take it again), so I'd rather not "waste" a chance this year.

Right now I've been busier studying for my fellowship than I thought I'd be, but I think in the next few months when I settle in, I"ll be able to get back to ABS stuff (fingers crossed).

Remember...what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas! :)

OP
T

tussy

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Feb 12, 1999
Canada
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Well, the exam is this thursday and I'm starting to second guess my "just show up and write it" strategy so I've cracked open the books tonight and started cramming. Wish me luck.

pyara

10+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
how can a person pass this exam. any tips ? questions, books ?!

OP
T

tussy

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Feb 12, 1999
Canada
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Anyone else doing the oral exam in Cleveland in 3 weeks? I should probably start studying for that one soon eh!

hbfish2006

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hello all,
new member here, currently a fellow, taking cert exam in Dec. Has anyone taken the Osler (or any other) prep course that can be recommended? Or anyone with advice on how to prepare in the 2 months left (...please don't say Cameron.....) Thanks in advance, will post any useful advice/links that I find on my search...
hb

About the Ads