anyone ever do this...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jean Valjean

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-traditional pre-med student here. Don't care about getting into harvard or JHU or a top 10 program (but of course respect those that have those goals) - I just want to get into a decent school and become the best medical student, and doctor that I can. I live in North Carolina where the 4 medical schools in the state (WFU, DUKE, and two public UNC schools) all have acceptance rates less than 10%, even 5% or 6%. Thinking of moving to a state like Florida or Alabama or even Arkansas (yikes! -- I have family there) because acceptance rates at those schools are significantly higher (AR and AL something like 26%) I already know of someone in North Carolina that applied three years to medical schools and finally got in to one the third year in south carolina. Comments? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Entrance statistics are a bit misleading. Just because it says that there are 2000 people competing for a class of 100 does not mean an acceptance rate of 5%. There are many of the 2000 that withdraw their apps halfway because they've been accepted to a more prestigous school.

One reason that the overall acceptance rates are low for UNC and ECU is because they usually have about 2000 out of state applicants. The acceptance rate for in-state applicants at UNC is around 17-20%.

Hope this helps :D

ECU's stats are particularly misleading. Although they accept NO out of state applicants, each year a huge number of out of state knuckleheads apply anyway. Stay in NC. Strictly speaking, your chances may appear to increase by leaving the state for a lesser destination; but don't overlook the possible effects of your seeming a carpetbagger to the state schools upon which you set your sights.