Anyone ever have a friend at a school write a letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

One of my interviewers told me it doesnt hurt to have a friend at a school that you interviewed at write a letter to the admissions. Anyone ever heard of doing this?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, didn't do much for me.

Or maybe my friends don't like me as much as I thought :smuggrin:.

i did it at 3 places this admissions cycle.
worked like an absolute charm. so i think.

georgetown letter from friend, interview 1 week later
jefferson letter from friend, interview 4 days later
tufts letter sent in last week from friend, yet to hear but i expect an interview.

-a

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, I had it done at both of my state schools. it really gives the adcom a better picture of what type of student u would be. like if they have a doubt of u being able to be a part of the whole, then this letter is good. also, it's nice to have friends who have friends on the adcom (like being a student voter). but I think it helps also when you're on the waitlist at schools. but you want to get them in before that happens. but yeah. I don't think it could hurt you. I'm pretty sure the person in the school isn't gonna be like "yeah, he can use a funnel like no other" so, give it a go.

florida requires a peer recommendation letter, but none of my friends can write for ****, so I wrote my own and signed my friend's name. don't tell.

Haybrant said:
Hey,

One of my interviewers told me it doesnt hurt to have a friend at a school that you interviewed at write a letter to the admissions. Anyone ever heard of doing this?

While I'm sure that some schools might be receptive to this or even ask for them, I was told by a former adcom person that his and many other schools frowned on peer LORs, and sometimes would assume them to mean that you couldn't get good LORs from your ECs...

Law2Doc said:
While I'm sure that some schools might be receptive to this or even ask for them, I was told by a former adcom person that his and many other schools frowned on peer LORs, and sometimes would assume them to mean that you couldn't get good LORs from your ECs...

what if you got one in addition to normal lor's instead of replacing one.?

Haybrant said:
Hey,

i had it done for a summer internship and it worked (someone who had worked at the place the year before), but I also sent all the other required materials. It's not like I substituted one of the required LORs for his.

Haybrant said:
Hey,

I had a friend who was a 4th year write one for me at NYMC. Seems to have worked, since I got an interview. However, she wrote one the first time I applied when she was a 2nd year, which didn't help get me an interview.

This time, I had changed a lot on my application. I'm not sure if the combination of her more senior status plus my improvements made the difference, or if it was just the improvements. Not sure if this story helps at all, but good luck!

Sorry. I misread your post and should point out that this was pre-interview. Post interview may help a little more.

I feel like it probably depends on the school. Though I haven't had any experience with it, I feel top tier schools might be less receptive to it simply because they can be picky about what they are looking for? I guess it wouldnt hurt to show extra interest at any school though. Good luck!

As a leader of part of the recruitment committee part of the admissions committee at my school, I was told by the Dean of Admissions that our thoughts on prospective interviewees was important. I.e. if we had friends that were applying but had not yet received an interview, a letter from us would be put into their file and considered when looking at them for interview and admission. I wrote two letters for friends this year, both got interviews within a week of the letter, and both were accepted.

I think it really depends on the school. Maybe your friends should contact their Dean of Admissions and ask what they think about peer recommendation letters. Most deans seem to be pretty approachable.

if your friend happens to be a department chair, then yes, it's helpful. But many adcom's won't be particularly impressed by a letter from a med student (especially a ms1/2).

doc05 said:
if your friend happens to be a department chair, then yes, it's helpful. But many adcom's won't be particularly impressed by a letter from a med student (especially a ms1/2).

i disagree; if they let ms1's and ms2's interview and give them equal weight as faculty then why would they not take their advice

What about getting an alum to write a letter? Someone distinguished in the medical community, in the same city as the med school, but not affiliated with the school? Would the fact that he's an alum and a well-respected doc make a difference? I am debating having a doctor I work with write a letter for me...