AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
I got a letter from Medical College of Wisconsin saying they wanted to interview me back in November (before Thanksgiving) and that I should stand by my mailbox and wait for an interview date.

I go to my mailbox today and there's a letter from MCW:

"Dear AStudent,

Thank you for applying to MCW and for your patience as your application was processed and reviewed.

.... We have determined that available space does not allow us the opportunity to further consider your application for the class of 2005."

:mad: :mad:

scrappysurfer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
San Diego, CA
Status
bastards. unc did something similar to me.

it still didn't piss me off nearly as much as one school who sent me 1 hold for interview and 3 rejection letters (after they lost my app). the 3rd rejection suggested i apply to their phd program. fat chance. if i wanted a straight phd i'd go to my undergrad institution which has top rankings in my field.

OP
AStudent

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
Dear Applicant: November 11, 2004

Thank you for your patience and continuing interest in the Medical
College of Wisconsin.

I wanted to quickly update you on the status of your application. The
admissions committee has completed a review of your application and
supporting credentials. In doing so they have indicated that you are a
candidate they would like to interview. Your file has now been moved to
a pool of candidates to be invited to interview. Candidates are selected
to receive an invitation by the date of completed application and
strength of academic credentials. We are hoping to get to your
application in the near future.

Again, thank you for your continuing interest and should you have any
questions do not hesitate to contact the Office of Admissions.

Mike Istwan
Director of Admissions

scrappysurfer

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2005
San Diego, CA
Status
I'm sorry Astudent.

Come to think of it, Iowa did the same thing to me. I got a personal e-mail from the director of admissions. He cited *specifics* of my research experience, sent details of their MST program, suggested that they wanted to interview me, and then didn't interview me. And I have very close family ties to school and state.

If I remember from your posts, you already have some acceptances? Hopefully that will ease some of the sting.

Borat7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2005
Status
I got the same e-mail right before thanksgiving too. I have'nt heard back from them yet. I called them back in January and they told me to wait and I'll eventually get invited. The lady told me not to worry because they'll be giving out interviews till April. I guess I'll be getting that rejection letter soon too.

Scubadoc

poriomanic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2004
AStudent said:
I got a letter from Medical College of Wisconsin saying they wanted to interview me back in November (before Thanksgiving) and that I should stand by my mailbox and wait for an interview date.

"Dear AStudent,

Thank you for applying to MCW and for your patience as your application was processed and reviewed.

.... We have determined that available space does not allow us the opportunity to further consider your application for the class of 2005."

wow, that's crap. and these are the places which will be teaching their students about ethics?

LauraMac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
AStudent said:
In doing so they have indicated that you are a candidate they would like to interview.

We are hoping to get to your application in the near future.
they just said they wanted to interview you, not that they necessarily were going to be able to.

OP
AStudent

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
That's just irresponsible.....shows how much they have their **** together.

LauraMac said:
they just said they wanted to interview you, not that they necessarily were going to be able to.

PublicEnemy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
from the perspective of the school, it means you were really only in their "interviewable pool". so they probably pre-screen apps and create an interview pool of which they select a certain number to actually interview. a lot of schools do something like that, but since thats the case, they shouldn't have sent out that email or letter in november, at least not with language that ambiguous or unclear about how the process works that early on.

xadmin

15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Status
AStudent, sorry to hear that. Screw them, apply to better school. Go to Harvard or Duke. They are much better and don't do that to you.

However, that is what should be expected of lowly rank medschool like MCW. Such practice make them to have low rank in the first place. This incident happened last year too. Search old thread.

Reactions: Maruko

CanuckRazorback

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
Hog Heaven
Status
I think that happened to my friend too this year. She told me MCW asked her to interview back in early November, but she hasn't heard from them since.

Megalofyia

425 lbs and growing
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2001
Missery
Status
Attending Physician
I had that happen.. I got an email telling me to call the school to schedule an interview.. then ten min later I got an email telling me that they sent the first email by accident and I didn't really have an interview..

skoaner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2004
Status
AStudent said:

"Dear AStudent,

I've had 2!!!!! :(

Last edited:

caligirl714

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2004
Status
may i ask when you guys were complete for mcw? i called almost a week ago to see if they even got to my date and they said not yet (11/8). i know it sucks, but hopefully you guys have other acceptances...i still need this *cross fingers*

but good luck to all
take care

OP
AStudent

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
I was complete the day after AMCAS opened.

caligirl714 said:
may i ask when you guys were complete for mcw? i called almost a week ago to see if they even got to my date and they said not yet (11/8). i know it sucks, but hopefully you guys have other acceptances...i still need this *cross fingers*

but good luck to all
take care

OP
AStudent

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
Adcoms browse this page? Fantastic.

Let me take this opportunity to say thank you to the other medical schools who choose to be truthful and ethical in regards to their admissions practices. Medical College of Wisconsin is the example of how NOT to treat applicants.

YzIa

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2004
Status
AStudent said:
Adcoms browse this page? Fantastic.

Let me take this opportunity to say thank you to the other medical schools who choose to be truthful and ethical in regards to their admissions practices. Medical College of Wisconsin is the example of how NOT to treat applicants.

I do agree with you to an extent that it is questionable to send emails that lead an applicant on, but then again when objectively read those emails they are updating you on the status, letting you know that you meet their requirements and like you as an applicant (whether or not they get the opportunity to interview you). I think that some of the posts here are interpretting the posted emails entirely wrong and are reading into them instead of reading them.

Now, that said, MCW does treat the applicants they interview extremely well. Friendly, respectful, and very upfront. The interview experience there was as good or better than all of my other interviews and they are also very timely about decisions as well as no BSing. If they have open seats, you are either in or out. I felt like I was treated exceptionally well by this school and I think a lot of other applicants would agree.

SwankyLove

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2005
Southern California
Status
AStudent said:

College of Wisconsin.

Mike Istwan
Director of Admissions
hey i got the same email and was so confused. it sounded like they were offering me an interview. the email was so poorly worded that i read it out loud to my friend to see what he could make of it and he too thought that I got an interview. so i emailed that guy back and asked him to clarify and he said no, it didnt mean that. it just meant that they got my app. great.

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
xadmin said:
However, that is what should be expected of lowly rank medschool like MCW. Such practice make them to have low rank in the first place. This incident happened last year too. Search old thread.
bitter much? they're ranked around number 40-45, which isn't too bad out of 125 schools.

aw buddy
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SwankyLove said:
hey i got the same email and was so confused. it sounded like they were offering me an interview. the email was so poorly worded that i read it out loud to my friend to see what he could make of it and he too thought that I got an interview. so i emailed that guy back and asked him to clarify and he said no, it didnt mean that. it just meant that they got my app. great.
btw, I heard Mike Istwan talk about that very e-mail less than a week after it was sent, and the intention had apparently been to give some people hope, but ended up backfiring on them.

DrOwen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Chicago,IL
Visit site
Status
I got the same email in november. The email indicated that while one is considered to be part of the interviewable pool, there is no guarantee for an interview. The interview will be only granted based on date of completion and credentials. Specifically, the email mentioned that not everybody from such pool will get an interview.
As for the interview, It was one of the best interviewing experiences ever. A fast post interview respone and the director of addmissions is a very nice guy who is only there to help the students and put them at ease.
Just my 2 cc.

Qemmalee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2004
Status
AStudent said:

College of Wisconsin.

Mike Istwan
Director of Admissions

I got this email and another one offering an interview invite...but for a automatic wailist position. But, I have to give MCW credit for being honest at least.

cammy1313

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
Encinitas, CA
Status
Ditto. Got the "We want to interview you" email, followed by a "We regret to inform you" letter. Don't wanna live in Wisconsin anyway.

Rosalind Franklin sent me an interview packet and when I called to schedule their response was, "Ooops, we didn't mean to send that out to you but with your stats I'm sure you'll get one later." I ended up getting the invite two months later which I very happily declined.

OP
AStudent

AStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Status
Bump for this year's class.