birchswing

Non-medical provider
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2011
Saw a link to this on Reddit and it's very interesting. What makes it most interesting to me is how severe it is but those who recover seem to go on without having relapse:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pervasive_refusal_syndrome

I wonder how long it would take someone to come up with this diagnosis or how often it's misdiagnosed. Is this similar to catatonia?

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
this actually fits one of the worst psych cases I saw on my med school psych rotation

n=1 I guess

OP
B

birchswing

Non-medical provider
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2011
Interesting on the depression consensus . . . and also one of the rare times I've used catatonia correctly as an assessment (I find catatonia fascinating but I seem to misunderstand it often).

As I said, what I found most remarkable was that the children who have this and get better rarely relapse, which I don't believe is as common with depression?

splik

Professional Cat at Large
7+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I think the point is these kids do not meet criteria for major depression and their determined treatment refusal is not compatible with the diagnosis of depression. Depression should obviously be considered in the differential diagnosis. the negativism of catatonia is usually automatic and purposeless unlike here. this syndrome sounds more like an hysterical reaction than it does depression or catatonic stupor. not sure it is helpful to create new categories or labels but i think they are highlighting that kids don't fit nicely into boxes and can often present with symptoms and signs that defy simple psychiatric classification. much as i like wikipedia im not sure it's helpful to link to it - here is an article on the topic that provides a bit more info

benlinus

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
"Saw a link to this on Reddit"

... bye

OP
B

birchswing

Non-medical provider
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2011
"Saw a link to this on Reddit"

... bye
It was in /r/askdocs. Someone was asking about a family member who had been diagnosed.

The people in that thread as I recall were helpful and kind and even seemed familiar with the rare disorder.

Unlike . . . bye.