Anyone ever take a Math or Biology class online in the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

One Fly Guy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm asking because I'm trying to get my 30 transferable credits, so I can apply to a four university program.

First Summer Semester: Pre-Calculus Trigonometry
Second Summer Semester: Statistics 1

I might do them at the university, but with both of these having labs, I won't be able to work as much, to save for a car to commute to a university, that's why I'm thinking online...

Anyone have any experience with this? I know it is a lot of cramming, but was it manageable? Did you do well?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do an online course. Most, if not all, medical schools don't give credit for prerequisites taken online.

Don't do an online course. Most, if not all, medical schools don't give credit for prerequisites taken online.

How will they know if its on online or not?
I'm taking English 1 online already...

Members don't see this ad :)
They ask.

Usually they call it something like "distance learning."
Won't they only know if it says distance education or if the class was online?
If it doesn't show it, would it be wrong to just say I took it in class or will they call the school?

I am curious about this as well. I have taken English and a U.S History prerequisite online, as these are required by my CC to gain my Associates in Science.

I would advise straying away from science classes online as well as math. You would still have to attend a lab in person for it to be a valid science/lab credit, correct?

I am curious about this as well. I have taken English and a U.S History prerequisite online, as these are required by my CC to gain my Associates in Science.

I would advise straying away from science classes online as well as math. You would still have to attend a lab in person for it to be a valid science/lab credit, correct?
Actually for Math the course and lab are online, I have no idea about the sciences online, but my chemistry, but it's intro with no lab.

Also, since you're getting your associates in science, are you taking all you science pre reqs in those two years? If you look at this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=883122, this is what I'm taking and hopefully be able to transfer with 30 minimum transferable credit requirement in NC. If I don't then I don't really know if I want to take anymore pre-reqs here.

Last edited:
Its only considered online if its an online degree. If it's an 'I-course" it looks exactly the same as a normal class on your transcript.
So whether I took a pre req online or not shouldn't even be a problem as long as do well, correct?

i took calculus online because i was working full time over the summer and it doesn't show up as an online course on my university transcript. Also keep in mind that all CC courses will affect your university GPA so make sure to do well in them.

i took calculus online because i was working full time over the summer and it doesn't show up as an online course on my university transcript. Also keep in mind that all CC courses will affect your university GPA so make sure to do well in them.

I took calc II online over the summer at my 4year ug. It sucked, but was doable. We had to take tests in the classroom though - so it was a half online/half real class.

Somewhat similar, I have to get 60 credits at my CC to get the degree. So I plan to take Bio1/2 Chem1/2 and maybe psychics before I transfer out.

http://www.tcc.edu/academics/programs/transfer/science880.htm

This is what I am looking at completing before transferring to VCU

Oh you live in VA.. nice. Im going email UNC and NCSU about my classes and to see if I would be a sure in to the schools. If they say I need more, then I might just get my associates for the paramedic program and start fresh for my degree at one of the schools. I just don't want to take too many pre reqs and be frowned upon by adcoms.
Associates in Science I might look at but I wont take any pre reqs and hopefully finish the Bio degree in 3 years (2 years for the pre reward and 1 year for some upper Bio classes, because I will most likely need those to graduate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need to talk to an advisers just to make sure of everything, that is the big downside to CC. No one seems to be very helpful, I should probably check in with the school I wish to attend for the 2 years following CC and see what they want.

I need to talk to an advisers just to make sure of everything, that is the big downside to CC. No one seems to be very helpful, I should probably check in with the school I wish to attend for the 2 years following CC and see what they want.

CCs are the worst. I'm almost in my 3rd week without my financial aid. meaning no books as of yet...

CCs are the worst. I'm almost in my 3rd week without my financial aid. meaning no books as of yet...

I feel you, luckily I got all my aid issues resolved last semester so it was smooth sailing this time around. Hopefully everything works out for you. I feel like the world is against me, but it just motivates me even more to succeed at this whole thing.

I feel you, luckily I got all my aid issues resolved last semester so it was smooth sailing this time around. Hopefully everything works out for you. I feel like the world is against me, but it just motivates me even more to succeed at this whole thing.

Agreed.

Won't they only know if it says distance education or if the class was online?
If it doesn't show it, would it be wrong to just say I took it in class or will they call the school?

Well, some medical school's secondaries specifically ask you to tell them about any class taken online. Technically it would be lying if you took a course online and don't tell them, but I'm not sure if/how they would find out. Probably not a risk you want to take, though.

Many schools make you re-enter all of your pre-req's (or all of your classes) on their secondary and then have a little box that you have to click if it was an online course. I would call the schools you plan on applying to, just to be safe. Most of the information online is confusing or contradictory.

Also, I don't see the point in getting an Associates degree. Unless you have a real reason to get one, I wouldn't recommend getting it. My mom (who went to medical school about 20 years ago, so things might be different but probably aren't) got her Associates degree before transferring to a university, and some medical schools actually looked down upon it. Objectively it shouldn't be a negative thing, but it draws attention to the fact that you went to community college before a university, and some ADCOM members are old-fashioned and don't like that.

Also, I don't see the point in getting an Associates degree. Unless you have a real reason to get one, I wouldn't recommend getting it. My mom (who went to medical school about 20 years ago, so things might be different but probably aren't) got her Associates degree before transferring to a university, and some medical schools actually looked down upon it. Objectively it shouldn't be a negative thing, but it draws attention to the fact that you went to community college before a university, and some ADCOM members are old-fashioned and don't like that.

I have never looked at it this way, that is something to think about. Thanks for that.

I have never looked at it this way, that is something to think about. Thanks for that.

Yeah it really surprised me when I heard about it. Keep in mind that was 20 years ago and hopefully the adcom members with that mindset have retired--but you never know :(

At my CC, the online classes don't say "online." In fact, there are multiple sections. Some are in person, so even if the school calls to inquire about it, they will have to also ask what section I was in, and in all honesty, I don't think any school will do that. The only times "online" screws you over is when it says it's online on the transcript.

Well, some medical school's secondaries specifically ask you to tell them about any class taken online. Technically it would be lying if you took a course online and don't tell them, but I'm not sure if/how they would find out. Probably not a risk you want to take, though.

Many schools make you re-enter all of your pre-req's (or all of your classes) on their secondary and then have a little box that you have to click if it was an online course.
I would call the schools you plan on applying to, just to be safe. Most of the information online is confusing or contradictory.

So they just ask if they pre-reqs were online? What about the English class I took online will that be up their? Or do they list all your classes and you check which were online?

So they just ask if they pre-reqs were online? What about the English class I took online will that be up their? Or do they list all your classes and you check which were online?

Here is one example that I could remember, SUNY Downstate. I used this school as an example because most of the other schools wouldn't let me see my secondary anymore.

iwq8gi.png

So, yes you would have to tell them about any pre-req and English course taken online. It looks like they still might give you credit for an online class, but you have to include the course description.

Here is one example that I could remember, SUNY Downstate. I used this school as an example because most of the other schools wouldn't let me see my secondary anymore.

iwq8gi.png

So, yes you would have to tell them about any pre-req and English course taken online. It looks like they still might give you credit for an online class, but you have to include the course description.
Thanks for this! I guess 1/10 isn't bad.