Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

anyone familiar w/ UCLA med school area please respond!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by chef, Jan 11, 2002.

1. chef

chef Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'll be staying in a hotel, and I'd like to stay nearby UCLA med campus. Since I'll be traveling w/ my family, cost is less of an issue (if I was traveling by myself I'll be staying with a student host or in a $35 motel).

1 hotel I found is Century Wilshire hotel on 10776 Wilshire Blvd. Is this a good, safe neighborhood where I can walk around freely at night?

Or what about Holiday Inn/Brentwood/bel air on 170 Church Lane? I think this place is farther away from UCLA then the hotel above.

Any help is appreciated! I've never been to LA and am clueless.

If anyone can recommend other hotels in ~$100 range in walking distance to UCLA med in a good neighborhood, that'd be good too. UCLA Guest House is full :(

2. Hey,
    The area around UCLA is the safest you can find in LA (or almost anywhere). If you stay at the Century Wilshire you can definitely walk around at night and it is less that 1 mile from the medical school. You can walk if you have 15 minutes. If the cost there is in your range..... you cant do much better. Brentwood is the same type of area (nice and safe) but much farther and most likely not walking distance (approx. 2 miles). Good luck and tell UCLA to hurry-up with the process... I am waiting impatiently.

3. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I live no more than three minutes from UCLA and I am in complete agreement with UCLA2001--Westwood is completely safe and is a reasonably busy place at night.

10776 Wilshire is extremely close to the medical center and again is in the safe haven that is west los angeles. I'd say at the first place but Brentwood is also really close to westwood--probably about a 3-5 minute cab ride away.

Enjoy your time in LA! :)

4. chef

chef Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hey, thanks for your reply.

1 more q:
    which of the 2 areas is in more commercial/active neighborhood? EG if we wanted to do some eye shopping, walking, etc which area would be better?

5. Wednesday

Wednesday Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    chef,

When I went, I stayed at a wonderful place that was right around the corner from the medical center. Called Hilgard House, I think. I found it on the sheet they send you with the invite. They have a UCLA rate ($109 I think). Very friendly staff, comfortable, parking (they let me park all day) and breakfast in the morning (toast, juice, coffee, donuts, etc). The best part is that you can just walk to your interview. Also it is VERY quiet since it is not right on Wilshire Blvd.

I didn't get to check out Westwood Village (I was very tired) but I assume it is in walking distance and I hear there is much to do there.

Have a great time at UCLA!

6. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    The Whilsire hotel.

7. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Without a doubt--westwood. Some of the best movie theaters in the country are there (e.g. MANN National, MANN Village), the latter being where nearly all premiers are held. These are huge theaters that show ONE movie---not multiplexes!

Brentwood is basically only a residential neighboorhood where you'll be--Closer to San Vicente (this won't mean anything to you!), brentwood village has a bit happening, but Westwood is much more pedestrian-friendly, with plenty do to and some good restaurants. Stay in Westwood Village...

8. If you can find a deal at the Hilgard House...take it. I am sorry I didnt think of it before. It is in the heart of Westwood (UCLA's college-town) which would be good for shopping and looking around for the family. Also... it is across the street from the medical center... literally. I hope it isnt too late to book it.

9. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Good luck at your interview. Give Kato Kaelin a shout out if you decide to stay in Brentwood.

10. sundevil1

sundevil1 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, I'll be there on this Monday. I'm staying at the Claremont, I guess this is the economical route, but I don't know if it is any good. I think it is in Westwood also, not too far from the school I guess. I get there on Sunday to check out the school and the surrounding areas. Anybody know any good places to go (bars or other nice places to visit) or can recommend anything to do. I like to unwind a little the night before interviews. Also, what is the general structure of the interview day? From what I read there is little structure and it is rather disorganized, but most people still love the school.

11. Things to do in Westwood:

Bars
    -----
    -Westwood Brewing Co at 1097 Glendon Ave (small brewing company...good place to go)

-Maloney's at 1000 Gayley Ave (Good bar.... has lots of TV's for sports...and good bar atmosphere)

-Madison's at 1037 Broxton Ave (my least favorite...most people are under 21 because they are lenient on ID's....it is too much of a "scene").

Other things to do
    ----------------------
    Good movie theatres there:
    The FOX or the BRUIN (right across the street from each other).

The rest of UCLA's campus is gorgeous. You should walk around it if it is a nice day.

Cant think of much more. IF you have a car... you can go to 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica or Venice Beach.