anyone familiar w/Univ Iowa psych/child psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fiatslug

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just because I've heard Iowa City is kinda nice... and wouldn't it be nice to live in a place where a fellow's (fella's? :p) salary is actually a living wage... know anything about Iowa for psych (specifically child psych)?

Members don't see this ad.

From everything I've heard Iowa is a great program with a lot of research coming out. Actually I got an interview there but didn't go because I'm not really interested in doing research. I will say that the people I communicated with there were VERY friendly and I was impressed with how they handled the process.

Iowa is a nice place to live (I went to Des Moines University). U of I is not exactly a cultural hub, and it can get a little boring if you're looking for a lot of plays and nightlife. But if you like fishing and getting outdoors like I do it's fantastic.

Actually, believe or not, Iowa City is considered to be sort of a cultural hub. It's not a huge city, but it's a place that attracts a lot of artists and writers. FYI, the Iowa Writers Workshop, the premier writing MFA program in America, is located there, as are a number of excellent grad programs for film and English. In other words, if you live in Iowa City you won't go to a different club every night, but you will find a lot of intelligent, progressive and accomplished people there who are fun to hang out with and who are actually nice. As mentioned, it's also possible to live on the wage you'll earn as a resident. You could probably even buy a house in a nice neighborhood. The schools are amazing. Also, Chicago is only about 3.5 hours away. I would say that it's one of the best places to live in the US. The psych program is also very good, though it is very biologically oriented (i.e. you won't really learn how to do therapy), so you have to be into that to want to go there.