Anyone familiar with QEEG who can explain some things?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is for both personal and professional reasons. I'm not familiar with QEEG and what's being done in this area as far as diagnosis. What's the significance, if any, of a QEEG and whatever comparison things they do with it demonstrating diffuse alpha activity more than 2 SD above the mean?

Members don't see this ad.

This is for both personal and professional reasons. I'm not familiar with QEEG and what's being done in this area as far as diagnosis. What's the significance, if any, of a QEEG and whatever comparison things they do with it demonstrating diffuse alpha activity more than 2 SD above the mean?

As someone with years of research and clinical training in EEG, qEEG is not even remotely ready for widespread clinical use. We generally only see these in sham clinics, like the Amen clinics. Be skeptical and get clinical correlation with other methods to confirm anything in those reports.

Edit- Admittedly, I am a little out of the game recently. But I do not know of any of the major neuro organizations who support its clinical use beyond exploratory at the moment.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As someone with years of research and clinical training in EEG, qEEG is not even remotely ready for widespread clinical use. We generally only see these in sham clinics, like the Amen clinics. Be skeptical and get clinical correlation with other methods to confirm anything in those reports.

Edit- Admittedly, I am a little out of the game recently. But I do not know of any of the major neuro organizations who support its clinical use beyond exploratory at the moment.

What about neurofeedback?

What about neurofeedback?

Hard to say. There are a lot of things that fit under that huge umbrella. Most of it is junk. There is some evidence for biofeedback, but the vast majority of neurofeedback lacks any real evidence base. If qEEG and neurofeedback are in the same report, I'd cross that provider off my "ever think about referring to" list.

Reactions: 1 users
Hard to say. There are a lot of things that fit under that huge umbrella. Most of it is junk. There is some evidence for biofeedback, but the vast majority of neurofeedback lacks any real evidence base. If qEEG and neurofeedback are in the same report, I'd cross that provider off my "ever think about referring to" list.

The problem is that I don't have a choice of where I go. I just want the thing I've had to deal with for more than a decade, which continues to cause very significant dysfunction, finally addressed in a meaningful way. I clearly noticed some uneasiness in the clinicians when I began to press them on all this stuff. ugh.