Anyone Familiar With UNCG or College of Charleston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xypathos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I've mentioned in earlier posts, I'm looking to transfer back to the South due to my father's ailing physical health and wanting to relieve the stress on my mother who is burdened by working as a FNP in a clinic in NC.

Speaking with my advisor, he suggested I look at UNCG and the College of Charleston.

UNCG is listed as a major research university and even has science degrees with concentrations in research for all 4 years. The Chemistry Department claims that 80%+ of their majors go on to be listed as co-authors or present their work at world reknown symposiums and gatherings. It's also a large school with lots of opportunities.

College of Charleston is considerably smaller and well, set in the historic district of Charleston which is just absolutely amazing and I was raised there for the first 7 years of my life. The college is known to be supportive of research but my advisor nor I know just how much or are familiar with anyone that attends there.

I was hopeing some viewers here may be able to shed some light on the schools.

My desire as far as academic goes is that I would like to major in a science -- Chemistry or Biochemistry and take summer courses to declare minors in Computer Science and History. My ultimate goal is of course to attend medical school but should that not work out, I intend on getting into the health supplement industry by designing supplements and getting into the development of synthetic testerone (albeit legal development!).

X

Members don't see this ad.

Xypathos said:
College of Charleston is considerably smaller and well, set in the historic district of Charleston which is just absolutely amazing and I was raised there for the first 7 years of my life. The college is known to be supportive of research but my advisor nor I know just how much or are familiar with anyone that attends there.

College of Charleston is a party school. Major party school. My Biology teacher did research over the summer at USC - Cola, though, and I've heard that the honors college is pretty good, though it was considered 'backup' for a number of people I went to high school with.

I've been up to UNCG for a couple of music clinics (they have one of the best music schools in the southeast). The campus is nice, but I don't know much about the science program though. I do know that very few people from my high school chose to go there, a lot more people chose to go to ECU, App. State, and UNC-Charlotte.

Sorry, I know none of this helps much, but I do live in NC, and I know a little bit about a lot of the schools in the area if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
ncguy2005 said:
I've been up to UNCG for a couple of music clinics (they have one of the best music schools in the southeast). The campus is nice, but I don't know much about the science program though. I do know that very few people from my high school chose to go there, a lot more people chose to go to ECU, App. State, and UNC-Charlotte.

Sorry, I know none of this helps much, but I do live in NC, and I know a little bit about a lot of the schools in the area if you have any questions.

I was also born and raised in NC for the majority of my life, minus 7 years in Charleston.

I graduated from a high school in Winston Salem, enlisted under a one year contract into the US Army, and last year finished my freshman year at Cornell College in Iowa at a mere 21 years old :( lol.

My father has become ill so I want to transfer for Spring Semester to a school in the South.

Do you have any personal knowledge or insight on UNCC or NC State?

My father is a UNCC alum but that was over 35 years ago, so he can't offer as much in advice.

UNCC is a great school, it's where I attend. It grows more and more every year. Right now attendance is at about 21,500 people. They have a full time premed advisor, and a strong premed program. You can get some info at about the bio department at www.bioweb.uncc.edu and chemistry is www.chem.uncc.edu

It seems like you are neglecting some of the best schools in North Carolina:
UNC Chapel Hill, Duke, Wake Forest, Davidson, Elon is ok - but not at the same level as the others I've listed. In SC you've neglected schools like Wofford and Furman - all of which are probably a bit stronger than C of Charleston.