Anyone feel like groveling to adcoms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silas2642

silas2642
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gosh, I'm supposed to hear from the two schools I interviewed at in the next week or so-- I am so nervous. I feel like calling up the dean, getting on my hands and knees, and begging him to let me in. Anyone else near a complete mental and emotional breakdown?

Members don't see this ad.

silas2642 said:
Gosh, I'm supposed to hear from the two schools I interviewed at in the next week or so-- I am so nervous. I feel like calling up the dean, getting on my hands and knees, and begging him to let me in. Anyone else near a complete mental and emotional breakdown?

myself :eek: :scared: :idea: :( :scared: :eek: <---MY EMOTIONAL CHART

baylormed said:

I know; I think this entire process is making me develop some sort of mood disorder-- should I see someone about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
silas2642 said:
I know; I think this entire process is making me develop some sort of mood disorder-- should I see someone about this?

I usually call my mommy....
(who, by the way, has no idea what the process is like so I get only responses like, "why aren't you studying?" "what's so bad about it?", and my dad's answers go like: "mmmhmmm", "uh-huh")

silas2642 said:

Just relax. Definitely don't call and beg. Be happy that you've had interviews - this means that you're in range to get in. Many schools accept half (or more) of who they interview, so statistically, 2 * 50% = 100%, your chances are excellent. You've done your part - you've applied and interviewed. This is no time to be a psycho and call them hourly. Personally, I think your fate is determined soon after your interview because that's when interviewers provide feedback. Maybe you could write a letter describing how much you like the school, but only do it if you have very specific compliments. If you want to do the letter, maybe do a post asking peoples' opinions. I had one school where I did nothing extra, and got accepted. I had another where I did lots of extra stuff, and never got off the waitlist...

gary5 said:
Just relax. Definitely don't call and beg. Be happy that you've had interviews - this means that you're in range to get in. Many schools accept half (or more) of who they interview, so statistically, 2 * 50% = 100%, your chances are excellent. You've done your part - you've applied and interviewed. This is no time to be a psycho and call them hourly. Personally, I think your fate is determined soon after your interview because that's when interviewers provide feedback. Maybe you could write a letter describing how much you like the school, but only do it if you have very specific compliments. If you want to do the letter, maybe do a post asking peoples' opinions. I had one school where I did nothing extra, and got accepted. I had another where I did lots of extra stuff, and never got off the waitlist...

we know, but in our paranoid minds 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4 :laugh:

baylormed said:
we know, but in our paranoid minds 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/4 :laugh:

Yeah, I have to admit that I tend to understand baylormed's math far more than than the 1/2+1/2=1.

silas2642 said:
I'll do whatever it takes!! Just let me in. (remember the turd hotdog?) Whatever it takes. :p

jbone said:
I'll do whatever it takes!! Just let me in. (remember the turd hotdog?) Whatever it takes. :p

I don't think I could eat a poop hotdog... but I'm certainly willing to beg.

gary5 said:
Many schools accept half (or more) of who they interview, so statistically, 2 * 50% = 100%, your chances are excellent.

Actually .5 x .5 = .25, so you've got a 25% chance of not getting into either, a 75% chance of getting into at least one, and a 25% chance of getting into both, if I remember correctly.

Of course, this isn't purely random, so it all really depends on how you interview, etc.

MoosePilot said:
Actually .5 x .5 = .25, so you've got a 25% chance of not getting into either, a 75% chance of getting into at least one, and a 25% chance of getting into both, if I remember correctly.

Of course, this isn't purely random, so it all really depends on how you interview, etc.

makes sense

i am totally in your guys' boat - i find myself camping out next to my mailbox, checking the caller id for school names, checking email for med.admissions@ addresses etc - i'm completely paralyzed in waiting. i too am waiting from word either this week or next week from my top choice and its like chinese water torture - not that i know what that is nor do i have anything against the chinese nor their water...

PLLLLEASE TAKE ME UCSD or OSU!!! I am so ready to grovel. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I just interviewed at UCSF on Monday. I know they won't contact me for at least 2 months. I know do it through snail mail. Yet I'm still checking my e-mail every 2 hours. Help!

baylormed said:

Hmm, I wanna make an emotional chart too! but that's gonna take some thought.

I would happily beg any California school to take me! :( :oops: :scared:

...and yes, I'll eat a poop hotdog or two

Overeducated said:
...and yes, I'll eat a poop hotdog or two

I would compete in the Nathan's poop hot dog eating contest at Poopy Island!

I interviewed at GT on 10/7 and everyone else seems to have heard but me.

silas2642 said:
hell no, i could never live with myself after having done that. id much rather face rejection. have some pride, its their loss not yours. if youre a self assured person anyway

Shredder said:
hell no, i could never live with myself after having done that. id much rather face rejection. have some pride, its their loss not yours. if youre a self assured person anyway
It's pretty easy to be self assured when you've interviewed at great places like you have...kind of like models and actresses telling everyday people not to get plastic surgery because you should be happy with what you're born with...it's a matter of the position you're viewing the issue from

letmein10 said:
It's pretty easy to be self assured when you've interviewed at great places like you have...kind of like models and actresses telling everyday people not to get plastic surgery because you should be happy with what you're born with...it's a matter of the position you're viewing the issue from

i bet its even easier when u already have an acceptance somewhere! unfortunately, i do not yet, so i will grovel with u =p

letmein10 said:
no position accounts for lack of confidence and sacrificing dignity. it is within everyone to find merits in themselves that make them worthy candidates without resorting to groveling. you dont close deals by groveling, you do it by convincing people that youre the best and that striking a deal with you will serve their interests best. if any salesman started groveling to me i would deliver a swift kick in the rear and send him packing. goodness, just the thought of groveling to an almighty adcom or dean is so demeaning. interviewing at decent schools means nothing, only acceptances matter. and i would never grovel to my top choice school if i were on the bubble. and if i were rejected across the board i would not grovel anywhere. at least i could emerge from the process knowing i did not compromise my ideals, as that lasts a lifetime vs waiting a year to reapply

Shredder said:
no position accounts for lack of confidence and sacrificing dignity. it is within everyone to find merits in themselves that make them worthy candidates without resorting to groveling. you dont close deals by groveling, you do it by convincing people that youre the best and that striking a deal with you will serve their interests best. if any salesman started groveling to me i would deliver a swift kick in the rear and send him packing. goodness, just the thought of groveling to an almighty adcom or dean is so demeaning. interviewing at decent schools means nothing, only acceptances matter. and i would never grovel to my top choice school if i were on the bubble. and if i were rejected across the board i would not grovel anywhere. at least i could emerge from the process knowing i did not compromise my ideals, as that lasts a lifetime vs waiting a year to reapply

Well that's because you are an idiot.

Drop the f*cking act, cowboy.

I agree with letmein//

jeffsleepy said:
I just interviewed at UCSF on Monday. I know they won't contact me for at least 2 months. I know do it through snail mail. Yet I'm still checking my e-mail every 2 hours. Help!

I can so relate. I KNOW that the admissions committe doesn't meet for another week and that after that I'll have to wait for snail mail, but I'm still checking my mailbox and e-mail constantly. How ridiculous is that?

By the way Shredder, I agree with MurDah-- drop the act, it's annoying. Either that or leave us neurotic pre-meds alone in our little thread.

Its_MurDAH said:

I agree with letmein//

:laugh:

Its_MurDAH said:

I agree with letmein//

oooooohhhhh...
smallville meets apprentice,
lana, ur fired!

Shredder said:

Wait a minute, I just realized-- I don't have any pride, and getting rejected by my first choice schools are definitely my loss and not theirs. :eek:

I surrendered my pride and a bunch of other stuff when I first took an MCAT diagnostic exam. Needless to say, I've never been the same :(

For some schools, I am willing to eat the cat poop. (Anchorman reference).

Anyone notice the eagerness of SDNers to consume fecal matter of variable size and texture and origin? It's like watching the eager contestant of Fear Factor who inhales the buffalo testicles like nobody's business.

RayhanS1282 said:
Anyone notice the eagerness of SDNers to consume fecal matter of variable size and texture and origin? It's like watching the eager contestant of Fear Factor who inhales the buffalo testicles like nobody's business.

ff_jenna2.jpg

RayhanS1282 said:
Why is she wearing a bikini while eating worms or whatever that it?

who the hell cares? the impt thing is that she IS wearing a bikini.

jtank said:
oooooohhhhh...
smallville meets apprentice,
lana, ur fired!
Yeah, it reminds me of when Lois calls Clark "farmboy." :laugh:

jtank said:
who the hell cares? the impt thing is that she IS wearing a bikini.

:laugh: :laugh:

What was I thinking? Thank you for slapping sense into me. Kinda walked into that one there.

RayhanS1282 said:

I think its because no one on here has been around a significant amount of poop. I've had to shovel mounds of horse ****. Let me tell you what, I'm not eating **** ever, no siree. And when the wind blows horse **** in your eye. It burns like hell. And horse **** is relatively clean dry ****. Human **** that's messy.

bobito said:
I think its because no one on here has been around a significant amount of poop. I've had to shovel mounds of horse ****. Let me tell you what, I'm not eating **** ever, no siree. And when the wind blows horse **** in your eye. It burns like hell. And horse **** is relatively clean dry ****. Human **** that's messy.

Agreed. Horse****, maybe, human ****, never. I don't know everyone on sdn is still stuck in the anal phase-- I think we were supposed to outgrow this a while ago, weren't we? Now puke, I would definitely eat to get into my top choice.