Anyone feel MCAT studying is taking a toll on regular Studies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

christian15213

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This reminds me of Physics and Organic 1.... the class average for my school for ORGO 1 with a certain Prof was 35 percent. I knew there was going to be a curve but I was like... OMG what in the hello is my grade for the semester? I was freaking out. I made a choice. Either try to do both just well or OK or go Balls out and really try to do well in Organic Chem. I choose ORGO and got an A but my physics got smacked in the face and I got a B... In retrospect kind of a dumb choose because the physics was 4 credits while the orgo was 3. But, whatever what is done is done.

This semester I feel the same way. I am super studying for MCATS with every spare moment and my classes are slipping. I don't know if it is me or just the professors because a few people in my classes have been complaining about wierd tests and ambiguous answers blah blah... but Darn it... is a semester full of B's good while getting a 34 on the MCAT? I would hate to do it but I dunno what is up this semester. PEAVING me OFF...
anyone else feel this way?

Members don't see this ad.

With my schedule that is why I decided to postpone the MCAT. The MCAT is way more important to me and I need to do well to round out my application. :) Plus I need to have my sanity taking 4 senior level science classes, volunteer, also studying for GRE, etc.

I can relate but some people just work through it for 3 months or so and do the best they can! :)

Yeah, I've pretty much accepted that this semester is going to kill me. For some very odd reason, I decided that I needed to start my major MCAT studying the week I have tests in pretty much all my classes. Plus in ochem lab last week, I was stressing out cause I got absolutely no product, and it's a big lab. I had an ochem test yesterday, and I don't think I did that great on it (comparatively, anyway). Then I had a genetics test this morning, and a physiology test tomorrow morning. It's going to be a long semester, to say the least. Once I get into a nice rhythm it shouldn't be too hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am taking 23 credit hrs this semester:eek: Everyone was telling me that i am crazy but i made myself a shedule and try to stick to it. I started on the MCAT last week and managed to do almost 400 problems from 1001 books, finished 3 lectures and took 3 30-minute exams. On top of that i managed to study for my two art history exams (got As :D ) and orgo exam which i have in about 3 hrs today.
It is doable but if you don't work. I decided to not work this semester and turned into good old goverment to borrow money.
It's hard but if you know how to study and give all your attention to what you do you don't need to spend gazilion hrs on studying. I read lectures just once but i am totally focused on what i do. It takes practice but it is doable.
It also helps if you are currently taking pre-reqs like i do. When i study for orgo2, phys2 and gen chem2 i can reinforce my knowledge with MCAT stuff. This way i get more practice and kinda two-in-one deal:D
I am preparing for the May 31st MCAT.
But i have to admit i have little life...i just keep on repeating to myself that this is only for the next few months and then i am going on the loooooong cruise with my bf...that is what keeps me going :)

:luck:

i am taking 23 credit hrs this semester:eek: Everyone was telling me that i am crazy but i made myself a shedule and try to stick to it. I started on the MCAT last week and managed to do almost 400 problems from 1001 books, finished 3 lectures and took 3 30-minute exams. On top of that i managed to study for my two art history exams (got As :D ) and orgo exam which i have in about 3 hrs today.
It is doable but if you don't work. I decided to not work this semester and turned into good old goverment to borrow money.
It's hard but if you know how to study and give all your attention to what you do you don't need to spend gazilion hrs on studying. I read lectures just once but i am totally focused on what i do. It takes practice but it is doable.
It also helps if you are currently taking pre-reqs like i do. When i study for orgo2, phys2 and gen chem2 i can reinforce my knowledge with MCAT stuff. This way i get more practice and kinda two-in-one deal:D
I am preparing for the May 31st MCAT.
But i have to admit i have little life...i just keep on repeating to myself that this is only for the next few months and then i am going on the loooooong cruise with my bf...that is what keeps me going :)

wow, 23 credits how many classes is that?

To the OP: it seems like you're doing sufficiently well in your classes. A B in Physics won't kill you. Planning out a schedule of x amount of hrs for each subject would probably be the best thing to do, and the material does repeat itself on the MCAT. The thing with the MCAT is that you just have to devote the time to do passages/questions and tests because what you study in your classes should be directly related to what you're studying for the exam. The trick is mastering standarized test questions.

wow, 23 credits how many classes is that?

To the OP: it seems like you're doing sufficiently well in your classes. A B in Physics won't kill you. Planning out a schedule of x amount of hrs for each subject would probably be the best thing to do, and the material does repeat itself on the MCAT. The thing with the MCAT is that you just have to devote the time to do passages/questions and tests because what you study in your classes should be directly related to what you're studying for the exam. The trick is mastering standarized test questions.

6:laugh:

and i agree with what you wrote about study schedule.
I have planned my whole semester out day by day so i know exactly what i do every time. If i miss one day or don't do something i had plan i make sure i catch up during the weekend.
I am not behind in anything so far so it works.
But we will see how good in June when i get my scores back :p

:luck:[/QUOTE]

You go girl! Try to take a few mental health days every now and then.

:luck:[/QUOTE]

i do:D (sushi get togethers and skiing)...and going to gym helps a lot as well. When you work out and get those endorphins going you feel so much better and have so much more energy (i study at the gym too, while on eliptical or stairclimber i get good 45-60 minutes to do my art history readings LOL....i am multitaskin like crazy....but it seems to work great thus far).

Yeah, my month this summer with my boyfriend is what is keeping me going. Plus the prospect of going to Germany to see some old friends. Unfortunately, he doesn't want to give up time with me now, either, so I pretty much have no free time. I need to learn to multitask a bit better...

i do:D (sushi get togethers and skiing)...and going to gym helps a lot as well. When you work out and get those endorphins going you feel so much better and have so much more energy (i study at the gym too, while on eliptical or stairclimber i get good 45-60 minutes to do my art history readings LOL....i am multitaskin like crazy....but it seems to work great thus far).[/QUOTE]

That's good. I love sushi!! I had spicey tuna for lunch at Kona Grill today. Apparently, this place makes everything from scratch.
Yeah, I don't know what I would do without the elliptical....it helps my thinking and other things like PMS. :)

This reminds me of Physics and Organic 1.... the class average for my school for ORGO 1 with a certain Prof was 35 percent. I knew there was going to be a curve but I was like... OMG what in the hello is my grade for the semester? I was freaking out. I made a choice. Either try to do both just well or OK or go Balls out and really try to do well in Organic Chem. I choose ORGO and got an A but my physics got smacked in the face and I got a B... In retrospect kind of a dumb choose because the physics was 4 credits while the orgo was 3. But, whatever what is done is done.

This semester I feel the same way. I am super studying for MCATS with every spare moment and my classes are slipping. I don't know if it is me or just the professors because a few people in my classes have been complaining about wierd tests and ambiguous answers blah blah... but Darn it... is a semester full of B's good while getting a 34 on the MCAT? I would hate to do it but I dunno what is up this semester. PEAVING me OFF...
anyone else feel this way?

hey man i know how you feel. i am putting the mcat first before school. I also do research so it is tough to balance it all but you can do it. I study mcat all the time until about the week of my midterms. then i do about 2 or 3 hours of mcat and the rest for school. it also sucks when none of your classes are mcat related like mine. they are four pharmacy courses. I had to cut down going out and now i probably go out once every two weekends. but once april 7th is over i will be free.

6:laugh:

and i agree with what you wrote about study schedule.
I have planned my whole semester out day by day so i know exactly what i do every time. If i miss one day or don't do something i had plan i make sure i catch up during the weekend.
I am not behind in anything so far so it works.
But we will see how good in June when i get my scores back :p

wow, u seem like u have it together! good luck :luck:

wow, u seem like u have it together! good luck :luck:

or i just live in the ilusion of it:laugh: ...we will see when MAY test date comes. But i hope it will be good LOL.
Thank you for:luck:
:luck: :luck: :luck: to all of you guys...keep the ball rolling. You can do it!!!