Anyone Find Nursing Students Really Arrogant and Annoying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chevy Chase Fan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sure, premeds are probably the most arrogant on average, but I'm very surprised by the amount of pretentious jerks majoring in nursing. All they ever talk about is how hard nursing is, how competitive it is to get in, how great a job they're going to have, what their salary will be when they get out, about their cousin whose an RN and drives a Mercedes. And they act like they're already experts b/c they know things like normal blood pressure is 120/80. Its very, very annoying.

This is not a knock on the nursing profession by any means, just a rant about nursing students. Just curious if anyone else has come across douchey nursing students like this.

Members don't see this ad.

Any time I talk to a nursing student I always pick up this "You wouldn't understand what its like" vibe, like I'm beneath them.

Yep...

imma stop there.

Actually no, one story. You know THOSE families who send THOSE chrismas letters about how they're the coolest ever? Well apparently their daughter who one year graduated high school with a *"6.0 GPA"* got into OMG nursing school which, as they mention in the letter, is extremely competitive and harder to get into than med school.

Give me a break. At my school, we have classes so that nurses can get out of the difficult versions of ochem, math, etc.

Not all nurses are like this, not all premeds are like this. But I feel like both professions draw their share of pretentious douchebags, like all other professions. They just manifest in a very obvious way.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're annoying.

but really...everybody finds somebody annoying. A lot of students in a lot of majors think their major is so hard and that all others don't even compare, but who cares. arrogance will bite you in the ass sooner or later.

The only think more annoying than nursing students are physician's assistants, nurse practitioners, and idiotic male nurses.

yeah, I definitely see the same thing. My gf is a nursing major, and her friends constantly remind us that we have it so easy.

I find posts like this annoying.

All they ever talk about is how hard (being a doctor) is, how competitive it is to get in, how great a job they're going to have, what their salary will be when they get out, about their cousin whose an (insert high-paying specialty here) and drives a (insert expensive type of car here).

Sounds like a typical pre-med conversation to me. I hope people with attitudes like the one your post implies learn to dial down the 'but I'm an MD!!!!' ego before you hit the hospitals or you are going to have a miserable, miserable experience working with nurses. This is not a competition to see who's had to walk furthest in hurricane/blizzard/hailstorm conditions over broken glass/piranhas/rabid wolves going 50/100/10,000,000 miles uphill. Focus on your own issues and let others worry about (and yes, even discuss!) their own.

Reactions: 1 user
I work in a hospital, where three schools rotate their nursing student through, I've never really had a problem with anyone them! maybe it's because I'm an employee of the hospital, but either way typically the nursing student need to have the utmost respect cuz if their clinical instructor hears any complains they will be in deep ****!

Sounds like a typical pre-med conversation to me. I hope people with attitudes like the one your post implies learn to dial down the 'but I'm an MD!!!!' ego before you hit the hospitals or you are going to have a miserable, miserable experience working with nurses. This is not a competition to see who's had to walk furthest in hurricane/blizzard/hailstorm conditions over broken glass/piranhas/rabid wolves going 50/100/10,000,000 miles uphill. Focus on your own issues and let others worry about (and yes, even discuss!) their own.
:thumbdown:

No, I don't -as long as they are aware that they are training to be nurses, not physicians. I am tired of hearing the crap about nurses delivering equal care to physicians "except for surgery". One of my mom's nurse friends said that verbatim and you can imagine how annoying it's to hear that as a person who wants to be a doctor. I have a huge respect for nursing students and for what they do, so in return I also demand equal respect for my anticipated career. That's only fair, but whenever I talk to a nursing student they make it sound like medical students have it so easy and how nurses are the new face of health care.

I'd hate to judge careers- to each to his own. But this "nurse=doctor" mindset is not only ridiculous, it's also dangerous in the long run. Nurses being given so much authority is going to cause a lot of trouble in the future.

it will wear off. Trust me.

Yes, many nursing students act this way. It's hard (psychologically) knowing that you're the one that will be taking orders not giving them. But once they start working they tend to realize how things really are and the arrogance evaporates (most of the time)

Most nurses are decent human beings. I would have to say the most douchebagry/insecurity tends to come from male nurses but even this is rare at the hospital I work at.

Reactions: 1 users
My only experience with nursing students was when my wife was one (and her classmates) and the ones she's helped teach. I'd say on average I liked them about 4x more than the premeds in my classes.

(And this was at a pretty prestigious nursing school for the area. Not that that matters really... the HMS students I've met are some of the nicest med students too)

So yeah, I'm going to have to leave you hanging. Maybe you just have had bad luck, but as a group I don't think they're particularly difficult. Quite the opposite really.

i haven't encountered this. I have encountered nurses thinking they do as much or more for the patients than a doctor. (I once got in an argument abt this w/ a nurse)

my reply: yes you do more than a doctor, but stuff you do isn't necessarily difficult. the stuff a doctor does uses more of his brain and requires a lot of ..blah blah blah..

then she laughed at me like I was a fool, lol.. oh well.. women are not necessarily very easy to deal w/

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to coursework difficulty, I do think the "premed" classes they take like Orgo are generally easier conceptually than ours. At the same time, I think completing premed classes is easier than the nursing coursework I've seen because the volume of information is generally easier. Watching how much they had to learn for pharmacology really turned me off for med school initially, knowing I'd have to learn all of it and so much more. I found it pretty impressive personally.

For what its worth, in my state, getting into one of the big school's nursing programs straight out of high school is the hardest acceptance to get when applying to colleges in the state.

All you people complaining about other people being proud of their major or what they do seem to be pretty miserable. Just because everyone in the world doesn't do what you do, doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to be just as proud/satisfied/excited as you.

i haven't encountered this. I have encountered nurses thinking they do as much or more for the patients than a doctor. (I once got in an argument abt this w/ a nurse)

my reply: yes you do more than a doctor, but stuff you do isn't necessarily difficult. the stuff a doctor does uses more of his brain and requires a lot of ..blah blah blah..

then she laughed at me like I was a fool, lol.. oh well.. women are not necessarily very easy to deal w/

You were the fool, if you think its bad for a nurse to say they know more than a doctor, then just consider how absurd it is for a pre-med to claim to know more about being a nurse than a nurse does.

:thumbup:. Pre-meds know less (health care wise) than CNAs, PAs, RNs, medical students and, of course, doctors. Pre-meds are what we call bottom of the barrel. A barrel for which there are many, many layers before the top.

You were the fool, if you think its bad for a nurse to say they know more than a doctor, then just consider how absurd it is for a pre-med to claim to know more about being a nurse than a nurse does.

I go to small university. Total enrollment is ~3600. We honestly don't have a whole lot of people that are "pre-med" that make it to the upper-level classes. A lot change their major within the first year. I guess you would say we have more of a unity as biology majors. We have a nursing program (get your pre-reqs for two years then compete for a spot in the program sort of deal). We also have to take courses with the nursing majors, like microbiology and A&P - but for instance as bio majors, in A&P because it's an upper-level course for us, our grading scale is different. My former roommate was a nursing major, extremely smart. I know a lot of nursing majors that are smart, and I know a lot that aren't. Same goes for biology majors though. I will say the one thing I didn't like about taking classes with the nursing majors is they seem to complain, a lot. It's usually about how they shouldn't have to learn this because this doesn't apply to nursing, blah, blah, blah. They seem to complain about really petty stuff, which to me seems to pale in comparison to the 6 AM clinicals they'll have to go through if they make it in.

I will say the one thing I didn't like about taking classes with the nursing majors is they seem to complain, a lot.

I had a class that was about 2/3 filled with CRNA students, and I noticed alot of complaining from this group. Our first test was pretty difficult, and the CRNA students went and complained as a group about the test. The next test was ridiculously easy in comparison.

I have to say I laughed pretty hard at it; especially the part, "I'm a real doctor. I sign prescription slips for my PAs and nurses. I fill out very complicated paperwork. It is very difficult and can only be done by real doctors."
From my years in a hospital, this is pretty accurate.

It is indeed rather impressive how much vets have to know.

lol that is genius :D

It is crazy how broad a vet's knowledge and skills need to be.

so.......

I understand we're all venting here. But its clear that you guys are collectively doing the same thing that they occasionally do as well.

think about it.

Sure, premeds are probably the most arrogant on average, but I'm very surprised by the amount of pretentious jerks majoring in nursing. All they ever talk about is how hard nursing is, how competitive it is to get in, how great a job they're going to have, what their salary will be when they get out, about their cousin whose an RN and drives a Mercedes. And they act like they're already experts b/c they know things like normal blood pressure is 120/80. Its very, very annoying.

This is not a knock on the nursing profession by any means, just a rant about nursing students. Just curious if anyone else has come across douchey nursing students like this.

You mean kinda like most pre-meds do too!? :idea:

I have to be the token engineer who quips that neither nursing nor premed are even comparable in difficulty =P hahahaha (kidding... IDC whose path is more difficult... do what you love)

Last edited:
Everyone wants to be taken seriously and considered a success by others. If someone is bragging/putting down others (regardless of their profession/future profession), then it is probably due to their own insecurities. Ignore them, succeed, and move on.

the nursing students I've known have all had to work much harder than all but the most fiendish of pre meds. whether most (successful) pre meds would have to work that hard in nursing school, i don't know.... the bar is certainly much lower for some things.

I spent more time as an undergrad being a bit jealous of the actual clinical skills they they were learning! They're certainly more ready for any sort of medical situation (sprained ankle, car accident, etc.) as junior or senior nursing students than most second year medical students, simply because their actual hands on clinical training starts (and ends) earlier than that of a medical student. If I were a nursing student about to graduate and heard a pre-med who hasn't even gotten into med school talking about their mad skillz, I'd might be tempted to cut him down to size too.

Everyone has their niche, and just about everyone takes orders from someone, including doctors.

Heh, the thread is kinda funny. The CC that I attended had a nursing program. I've experienced them in my recent physiology lab. There were 4 at my lab table, and we worked together. Two were nice and one was kind of neurotic with her supposed "stress", even though she brought it upon her self by waiting till the last minute to study and become neurotic about the smallest things. The other was a competitive bitch since the end of the first lab. I disagreed with a result and she became really angry. :laugh: The next day I would catch her giving me dirty looks like the psycho that she was. Anyways, I ignored her after that, even when she would speak to me directly, I would just stare at the floor or just not make any eye contact. She got the hint after a couple of days. Do it. It works. Anyways, she ended up dropping with a W. ha ha.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Nurse

pretty much sums everything up. haha

i could understand nursing students complaining about the competitiveness of nursing school, since they only have 2 years of undergrad to be accepted into the program, where as pre-meds have more time to prepare for acceptance to medical school.

but EVEN AS A PRE-MED (btw, i prefer "aspiring doctor" :D) i don't like it when nurses complain about their careers compared to a doctor's. if you think you could do all the things a doctor does, then why didn't you become a doctor?

but i think everyone, pre-med, nursing and medical students can agree, that being a CNA would suck ass. you're basically a walking diaper changer.

I spent more time as an undergrad being a bit jealous of the actual clinical skills they they were learning! They're certainly more ready for any sort of medical situation (sprained ankle, car accident, etc.) as junior or senior nursing students than most second year medical students, simply because their actual hands on clinical training starts (and ends) earlier than that of a medical student. If I were a nursing student about to graduate and heard a pre-med who hasn't even gotten into med school talking about their mad skillz, I'd might be tempted to cut him down to size too.

Everyone has their niche, and just about everyone takes orders from someone, including doctors.

This. Despite what premeds think, junior and senior nursing students who have started their clinical rotations (which, at my school, are approximately 20 hours a week), know MUCH more than most premeds. There are not very many premeds who have the skills or knowledge (pharmacology, microbiology, diseases, etc etc) that nursing students have before graduating. If premeds are talking **** then they deserve to get cut down like the little bitches they (we) are.

. if you think you could do all the things a doctor does, then why didn't you become a doctor?

There are huge numbers of reasons to consider. Some might come up on the interview trail. Things like hours, length of training, more immediate financial concerns, patient relationship are all pretty good reasons to favor nursing.

I have heard nursing majors thinking there sweet, and there major is so difficult. I let them gloat usually for a few minutes, then I cut them down (real fast) when I let them know about engineering. Then they are usually humble. Hardest undergrads are usually engineering or physics. Anything other major is based purely (95%) on memorization NOT critical thinking.

I have heard nursing majors thinking there sweet, and there major is so difficult. I let them gloat usually for a few minutes, then I cut them down (real fast) when I let them know about engineering. Then they are usually humble. Hardest undergrads are usually engineering or physics. Anything other major is based purely (95%) on memorization NOT critical thinking.

I would argue that psych (which can vary greatly, but probably in 99% of the cases is easier than either physics or engineering) rarely is about memorization, at least in pre-psych sort of tracks. Alot more about analyzing research, use of statistics, experimental design. Mostly critical thinking, very little memorization. And even in the less experimental tracks, I doubt that it is ever up to 95%.

Or you could take math and philosophy majors. At least in the cross listed logic theory classes I have experience with, its about 100% critical thinking.

I doubt most other majors are purely memorization. Even if they don't require alot of critical thinking, they might require alot of synthesis of information and application.

Or hey, maybe all but two majors are 95% memorization. That seems likely.

This is the impression I've gotten from pre-nursing students. Along with a couple nursing students I know as well.. They do seem very cocky.

1) I suspect they complain just as much about premeds as we complain about them. As a rule, premeds are some of the most arrogant, self-involved people in the world. We're all really type A-ish too (whether we want to admit to it or not, plenty of people are always arguing about how "chill" they are) because our grades have to be good. In general, look around SDN. We're those kids sitting in the front row who ask for extra points on the test, or the kids in the back pretending not to give a damn while taking mental notes of how to argue for extra points, and smugly making fun of the ones that try really hard. We're, as a rule, insufferable.

2) Now that I'm in med school, I often come across RNs who are getting their NP degree. I think there's a little bit of inherent awkwardness to the interaction, but for the most part as long as we (as pre-clinical med students) acknowledge that they know way more about the daily clinical management of a patient than we do, everything is ok. As a woman, it semi-bugs me when I see the female nursing students hitting on the guys in our class because they're going to be doctors, but hey, to each his own I guess. I'd rather be one than marry one, but we all make our choices.

3) One thing that REALLY bugs me about people on this site is how everyone is always whipping out their e-peen and bragging, especially the math/physics/engineering majors. Oh, I majored in engineering and you majored in english, I'm smart and you're not, neener neener. Dear engineering majors: as someone who has now edited a zillion of your personal statements and secondary essays, I have a very strong suspicion that most of you would have FAILED as english majors, philosophy majors, or really any major that requires the ability to communicate through the written word. Y'all are the first ones to compare your 3.2 engineering gpa to some kid's 4.0 in spanish, and meanwhile you can barely speak one language, much less 2. Being good in some of the higher-level psychology classes requires understanding the way people think, and that requires social skills and social intelligence, which MANY uber-macho physics and math majors are sorely lacking. And the idea that a class in which you have to "just memorize" a bunch of information is inherently easy is HILARIOUS...because you have described med school in a nutshell, and I haven't met too many engineers complaining about how easy med school is. So please spare us the bs. If you had been really really good at something other than engineering, you likely would have done that. If you picked it, it generally means that's where your strength lies- which means you probably wouldn't have done as well in other stuff. Are 4.0s created equal? Of course not. But I am so sick of seeing the "subtle" judgment against liberal arts or natural science folks implying you had it oh-so-much-harder. If you knew that you could have gotten a 4.0 in english/philosophy/whatever and that you would do poorly in engineering and still picked it, that was dumb. Maybe you're not as smart as you think you are.

/rant.

Incidentally, I know plenty of engineers and math/physics majors who can complain about their lot without trying to bring everyone down with them, so it can be done. Just stop being so darn smug, guys. Maybe that's why the nurses don't like us in the first place.

Well, as someone who has 50 units of psych under his belt and has worked in various psych settings, I can tell you that there is memorization of concepts and what-not but they are not set in stone. You constantly have to change up your game when dealing with various populations/individuals. You might have memorized a concept, but its application in both the clinical setting and the research setting requires a lot of critical thinking and analyzing skills. I could go into more detail but I don't feel like it. I just ignore people when they start taking about their ultra difficult "hard science" thing. :D

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Nurse

i could understand nursing students complaining about the competitiveness of nursing school, since they only have 2 years of undergrad to be accepted into the program, where as pre-meds have more time to prepare for acceptance to medical school.

but EVEN AS A PRE-MED (btw, i prefer "aspiring doctor" :D) i don't like it when nurses complain about their careers compared to a doctor's. if you think you could do all the things a doctor does, then why didn't you become a doctor?

I am a nursing student, I found this forum because I am considering going on to med school. It makes me really sad to see how much bashing there is towards nurses/PAs/NPs. We all have to work together, why does there have to be so much animosity instead of respect for the individual work that we do? I really hope that the doctors I work with one day will not have the same attitude as some of you here. Its hard to have respect for people who dont respect you too.

Im sure there are some cocky douchey nursing students, but that doesn't necessarily mean that its because they are a nursing student. Plus, a lot of the presumed cockiness probably comes from the fact that the general public view of nurses is way off base. Most dont know how ridiculously competitive it is because there are always commercials that make it sound like, "dont know what to do with your life? just become a nurse!" which is extremely irritating. My nursing program accepts about 30% of applicants, no one got in during my cycle with less than a 3.9 GPA, but the general public wouldnt know this. At least as a doctor you are respected and valued for your work. Thats actually one of the reasons I'm considering med school, because I want to be recognized for my hard work not just considered a waitress or an ass wiper. The thought of working this hard to then work with doctors with the attitudes I've seen here is really disheartening.

(btw i know obviously that med students work extremely hard, i would never claim that nursing school is harder. i just dont want to be discounted for my hard work too)

The only think more annoying than nursing students are physician's assistants, nurse practitioners, and idiotic male nurses.

Except for this one dickhole male nurse who always wore a white coat and yelled at all the other nurses/residents/families, the murses I've known have been uniformly friendly and efficient. Beyond the aforementioned arrogant dickhole, there's never been a single murse I've seen that came into the room with an attitude. Whereas there are some (female) nurses who are just INSUFFERABLE. Especially the older ones.

What I've realized is a good nurse makes or breaks the patient's day. The doctors generally aren't in the room long enough to make that kind of impact on the patient directly. They affect the mood of the floor by their contact with the nurses and, especially if the patient is in the ICU and the family is there every day talking to the medical staff, the patient's relatives.

So, in summary...be nice to the nurses, except the ones for whom nothing can nice can ever be done.

For what its worth, in my state, getting into one of the big school's nursing programs straight out of high school is the hardest acceptance to get when applying to colleges in the state.

All you people complaining about other people being proud of their major or what they do seem to be pretty miserable. Just because everyone in the world doesn't do what you do, doesn't mean that they shouldn't be able to be just as proud/satisfied/excited as you.

This. :thumbup:

Who cares if some nurses/nursing students brag about their position? Nurses are an integral part of the health care team. And besides, most nursing students don't have the capacity to handle the full medical curriculum; for them, nursing school is a huge accomplishment, akin to med school for us. They don't consider med school within their reach.

I have the utmost respect for nursing students and nurses in general. Haven't really run into nursing-students who are anywhere near as bad as the undeclared freshman pre-meds who announce they will become anesthesiologists before they've actually taken an undergraduate level course. I also have the utmost respect for engineering students; although I'm more likely to tell engineers to "shut-it" if they are ranting about how hard their major is simply because they have been plugging that line since day one of university...

This being said, I do wish nursing students and PAs would specify which school they are attending (i.e. nursing school or PA school) rather than simply saying "medical school". There have been a few times where a student was telling me all about applying to medical school and I stand there feeling like an a-hole because I'm a senior who doesn't recognize what they are talking about...only to find out 5 minutes later they're a nursing/pa student.

Try being an PCA (like I have been). Yes, nursing is that difficult and yes, you need a lot of pride as a nurse because you shove too many things into and clean stool out of too many rude patients and put up with their families for 1/10th of the money of an MD.

If there is one thing RNs hate more than overly demanding patients/families it's condescending MDs who have no idea what they have to go through.

This thread is crazy. I don't know how any intelligent person can classify entire groups of people as one thing or the other and actually believe they are making sense. All nurses are arrogant? All nursing students are arrogant?:confused:

Pffftt.

I have run into arrogant/assinine nurses, medical students, nursing students, pre-meds, residents and attendings in the ED where I volunteer. They are usually the exception for their respective categories. Confidence is one thing, but being dismissive of an entire group of colleagues is going to get you in trouble in medicine. How can even the best attending do his/her job well without residents and nurses? They all deserve respect. The people who don't deserve much of anything are students of any kind; we've yet to prove ourselves. We should all shut up and do what we're told.

This thread is crazy. I don't know how any intelligent person can classify entire groups of people as one thing or the other and actually believe they are making sense. All nurses are arrogant? All nursing students are arrogant?:confused:

Pffftt.

I have run into arrogant/assinine nurses, medical students, nursing students, pre-meds, residents and attendings in the ED where I volunteer. They are usually the exception for their respective categories. Confidence is one thing, but being dismissive of an entire group of colleagues is going to get you in trouble in medicine. How can even the best attending do his/her job well without residents and nurses? They all deserve respect. The people who don't deserve much of anything are students of any kind; we've yet to prove ourselves. We should all shut up and do what we're told.

I can't figure out what's more annoying. Your post or your sig...

Pffftt.

katie, shut up.

seriously..

bleargh, if you and jvesco22 really think like that, you must be the most hated premeds wherever you volunteer or work.

Students of any sort are the lowest of the low. I wouldn't presume to act like I knew more than one of the ER techs or a CNA, unless I was working as one while going to school.

Last edited:

I can't imagine what it's going to be like by the time s/he is a senior :eek:

Maybe we'll get treated to an impromptu list of all the schools they've applied to, including rejections and interviews, like a makeshift MDApps. I for one cannot wait!