Anyone finish 4 years with an NHSC Scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halaljello

Hot Oil
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Has anyone gone through medschool with the NHSC scholarship? What places are you planning to practice in? Someone told me that NHSC scholarship recipients must practice only in rural areas but a friend of mine told me u can practice in places like chicago? Anywayz, I read about the awards granted to the recipients and they seem too good to be true!!!

however i was wondering, do they screw you over in salary they pay you after ur done with ur residency? ( i hard the military does...they pay u like crap after ur graduate).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I'm also interested in asking the same questions. In addition, how many choices do you have to choose from in where you have to do your services? What are the conditions like? What if I don't want to go to a cold environment, do they sometimes give you only one choice?

Please reply.

Although I am not an NHSC student I have some knowledge about the program. The NHSC does not just send you to do some service. You apply for individual positions. The available positions are posted <a href="http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/nhsc/Main/new_home.htm" target="_blank">here</a>. Some are very competitive others go empty year after year.

Upon completion of your residency you apply for the individual sites. If you cannot find a site that will take you (you have nine months to find a site) you will be assigned a site according to greatest need. All NHSC physician programs are primary care which to them is Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Psychiatry, OB/GYN, and Pediatrics.

If you are very picky about where you want to practice medicine, the NHSC may not be the best choice as the conditions are usually not ideal, hence that is why these places have difficulty attracting phsyicians and take government support to find physicians.