Anyone from a family med background match into pain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reboa

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone from fm has matched into pain med since the fellowship started allowing them to be one of the primary specialties

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone from fm has matched into pain med since the fellowship started allowing them to be one of the primary specialties
Yes. Iowa and somewhere in California although probably others.

An uphill battle would be putting it lightly. Think Everest.

Last edited:
I was matched into pain medicine this year from family medicine. I am in Miami an AOA accredited program, next door to ACGME pain accredited program. But I agree with raptor5 its an uphill battle like Everest without oxygen and a jacket. When I started my residency in FM my goal was to impress the pain program director. By my second year I was moonlighting in his pain office. Every elective rotation I worked with him. I did ASIPP courses because SIS rejected an FM resident taking their course from their list of requirements to enter those courses. I kept working hard for him till I was matched into his fellowship program and became his chief fellow.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was matched into pain medicine this year from family medicine. I am in Miami an AOA accredited program, next door to ACGME pain accredited program. But I agree with raptor5 its an uphill battle like Everest without oxygen and a jacket. When I started my residency in FM my goal was to impress the pain program director. By my second year I was moonlighting in his pain office. Every elective rotation I worked with him. I did ASIPP courses because SIS rejected an FM resident taking their course from their list of requirements to enter those courses. I kept working hard for him till I was matched into his fellowship program and became his chief fellow.

Oh wow this is awesome. Thanks for the reply and congrats, that's amazing. I guess I am going to try to follow in your footsteps. Any chance I could PM you for some advice?

I am not FM, but I had to congratulate you on this achievement! You basically had < 1% chance of getting in as you were discriminated against with your AOA residency, as well as being non-Anesthesia/PM&R. However, it seems like you didn't care and just did everything you could to match into your next-door program. Good job bud, I'm impressed!

It's shameful that SIS would deny you an opportunity to improve yourself and offer the best possible care to patients. I will pass this along to SIS leadership at the highest level. Hopefully, they will capitulate and see the error of their ways. I think that it is a real feather in the fellowship director's cap to see past guild issues and recruit the best candidates possible regardless of specialty of origin. At the very least, SIS should open their course to everyone in an accredited pain fellowship program. @lobelsteve

would you want a resident in a non-pain fellowship to take a course - SIS or ASIPP - then market themselves as a trained practitioner of said procedure?

that is essentially what you would be requesting SIS do.

and yes, there are non pain fellowship trained doctors out there who are doing our procedures, ofttimes with private insurance or self-pay.

would you want a resident in a non-pain fellowship to take a course - SIS or ASIPP - then market themselves as a trained practitioner of said procedure?

that is essentially what you would be requesting SIS do.

and yes, there are non pain fellowship trained doctors out there who are doing our procedures, ofttimes with private insurance or self-pay.

I think he said he is FM, but matched into an ACGME-pain fellowship.

Thanks everyone it was a long tough road. I still remember clearly when I was an intern and I expressed my interest in pain medicine to my program director and I was willing to moonlight at his private office when I got my full license instead of my training license. He didn't like that idea at first, and I was crushed. I was thinking well I can do sport medicine and do those "interventional orthopedics." But I was like I won't give up and I read pain books (Benson, Furman, Hoppendfeld, Trescot, Manchikanti, Ramamurthy, and Silverman), attended ASIPP meetings/courses, ASRA conferences, ultrasound courses, acupuncture classes, medical missions to Mexico to do ultrasound guided injections, and some good ol' luck. I went to prove my worth and I believe it should be applied to any resident who is interested in pain medicine. When I had hospital night calls I went and work during the day with the program director and do night my night shift right afterwards. In short I made my FM residency to a Pain residency.

Reactions: 1 user
what is an AOA accredited program?

Thanks everyone it was a long tough road. I still remember clearly when I was an intern and I expressed my interest in pain medicine to my program director and I was willing to moonlight at his private office when I got my full license instead of my training license. He didn't like that idea at first, and I was crushed. I was thinking well I can do sport medicine and do those "interventional orthopedics." But I was like I won't give up and I read pain books (Benson, Furman, Hoppendfeld, Trescot, Manchikanti, Ramamurthy, and Silverman), attended ASIPP meetings/courses, ASRA conferences, ultrasound courses, acupuncture classes, medical missions to Mexico to do ultrasound guided injections, and some good ol' luck. I went to prove my worth and I believe it should be applied to any resident who is interested in pain medicine. When I had hospital night calls I went and work during the day with the program director and do night my night shift right afterwards. In short I made my FM residency to a Pain residency.

What an awesome story. Congrats! Sounds like your success is well deserved.

I thought that FM could not get boarded in pain?