Anyone from NY can offer me suggestions about post-bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amethystyuan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have been accepted by 2 post-bacs, Mount Sinai and Stony Brook. Does anyone have any suggestions which one I should go? My GPA is 3.2 and I'm going to retake the MCAT next month. I don't have too much shawdowing so I will start that immediately after my MCAT.

Mount Sinai offers 1.5 years of MS in biomedical science, which has a track that guarantee an interview from its medical school if undergrad GPA>3.5 (I'm not qualified), and blah blah blah. The main concern for me is that the tuition is very expensive, 800/credit and 45 credits in total! But I'm currently working in Mount Sinai so I can somehow work part time while in school.

Stony Brook offers 1 year MS in physiology and biophysics but doesn't guarantee anything. The tuition is cheaper, around 8k per semester. Also I think Stony Brook is not as competitive as Mount Sinai so I have a better chance to get a higher GPA (?).

Any suggestions which one I should choose?Since I'm not qualified to the "interview guaranteed" track, is it worth to attend Mount Sinai with a higher debt and possible lower GPA?:confused:
Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I have been accepted by 2 post-bacs, Mount Sinai and Stony Brook. Does anyone have any suggestions which one I should go? My GPA is 3.2 and I'm going to retake the MCAT next month. I don't have too much shawdowing so I will start that immediately after my MCAT.

Mount Sinai offers 1.5 years of MS in biomedical science, which has a track that guarantee an interview from its medical school if undergrad GPA>3.5 (I'm not qualified), and blah blah blah. The main concern for me is that the tuition is very expensive, 800/credit and 45 credits in total! But I'm currently working in Mount Sinai so I can somehow work part time while in school.

Stony Brook offers 1 year MS in physiology and biophysics but doesn't guarantee anything. The tuition is cheaper, around 8k per semester. Also I think Stony Brook is not as competitive as Mount Sinai so I have a better chance to get a higher GPA (?).

Any suggestions which one I should choose?Since I'm not qualified to the "interview guaranteed" track, is it worth to attend Mount Sinai with a higher debt and possible lower GPA?:confused:
Thanks a lot!

Neither will help your undergrad GPA since, from the way you describe them they're both grad programs not post-bacc programs. I would suggest you don't go to either one. The only thing that'll bring up your GPA is taking more undergrad classes.

I agree I'd do an informal post-bacc somewhere you can get financial aid (if you need it), and skip this entirely unless you have some compelling reason to do so. I was accepted with an overall GPA of ~3.2 and that was after my PB work. It would be far cheaper to do what I did and just take UL science courses until you get where you want to be... Also, DO offers grade replacement to help bring your GPA up faster!

Members don't see this ad :)
Neither will help your undergrad GPA since, from the way you describe them they're both grad programs not post-bacc programs. I would suggest you don't go to either one. The only thing that'll bring up your GPA is taking more undergrad classes.

Hi SkinMD,
Sorry I've been preparing for my MCAT and not able to come to sdn for a while. So you suggest me to take some undergrad class? But I have graduated and I'm currently working in a research lab within a medical school. Can I take some undergrad class in a college near my work or in my original undergrad university? Cuz they are kinda far away. And what kind of classes should I take? Thanks a lot!

I agree I'd do an informal post-bacc somewhere you can get financial aid (if you need it), and skip this entirely unless you have some compelling reason to do so. I was accepted with an overall GPA of ~3.2 and that was after my PB work. It would be far cheaper to do what I did and just take UL science courses until you get where you want to be... Also, DO offers grade replacement to help bring your GPA up faster!

Hi SBB2016,
So do you think your PB work helps? What UL classes do you recommend? And what do you mean by "DO offers grade replacement"? Thanks!

Hi SkinMD,
Sorry I've been preparing for my MCAT and not able to come to sdn for a while. So you suggest me to take some undergrad class? But I have graduated and I'm currently working in a research lab within a medical school. Can I take some undergrad class in a college near my work or in my original undergrad university? Cuz they are kinda far away. And what kind of classes should I take? Thanks a lot!

you can take them anywhere, they will be averaged into your overall undergrad GPA. Your best bet is to take some sort of science course. If you want to take advantage of grade replacement at DO schools you should take courses equivalent to the ones that you did poorly in.