Anyone from UOMHS??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RC

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm going to des moines next week to look at places to live and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for apts. i'd mostly like to live in a house-type apt., not an apt. complex. price and location is not a huge issue, but closer to the school is better. anyone else headed to UOMHS? please give me an e-mail. has anyone else received any info. from the roommate search thing yet? later

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad.

Hey RC,

How was your trip to Des Moines? Did you find some nice places? Post a reply and let us know how you did, or feel free to email me directly!

Thanks

Hi Rene,

Since we UOMHS people are so under-represented out here, I guess I better sign on! Have you found a place to live yet? I'm still looking, but have been pleasantly surprised with prices thus far. When are you planning on moving?

Scoren - are you going to UOMHS, too? If so, drop me a line & we can chat sometime.

Stef

Members don't see this ad :)
Its good to see some UOMHS activity around here! Personally, I am super excited about heading to Des Moines and beginning this adventure.

I, too, have been pleasantly surprised by the low cost of living. I have just begun the apartment-hunting. I'll probably take a trip there later this spring to check things out.

Stef and Scoren, send me an e-mail if you would like to chat.

Laura

Hi Stef, Laura, and Rene:

It's great to meet future classmates! I am excited about finding a place to live in Des Moines also. When are you all thinking of moving? I'd like to get over there soon, but I'm pretty much living from paycheck to paycheck right now so that makes it rough. Let me know if your planning to go house/apartment looking, I'd like to do the same!

Scott

Hi all!

I'll be joining you at UOMHS in August. I've been doing a lot of apartment hunting on the internet and through the papers. Lots of nice places out there. For my case, where I end up will probably be a compromise. I won't end up as close to the school as I'd like, but will still end up in the nice apartment complex, or at least it looks nice. My biggest complicating factor is 3 cats that my wife will not part with... Okay, I like them too and don't want to get rid of them either. :)

My biggest suggestion is to look on-line at a web site called www.rent.net. That's where I found some really nice places. It allows you to search for apartments by amenities or price. If that doesn't help, try searching for it through www.dogpile.com. It's a multi-engine search site. It will search using about 12 search engines at once (yahoo, lycos, etc.).

Look forward to seeing you all in August. Talk to you soon!

Jason

hey everyone,

wow, judging from all the other vast number of posts on this forum, i never knew this many people were going to UOMHS..ha ha. well, i went to DM and basically scouted out areas to live. i've been warned about some potential "trouble" spots close to the Drake U. area. most of the places around the school seem very nice and even the houses in the Drake area look very nice unless you go about four blocks too far south. thanks for the informative web sites, i'll have to check them out. when i've been looking in the paper, the DM register, most place have been about a 5-10 min drive to the school and the prices are ridiculously low. 1BR apt in a house= 400-450 +util and 2BR house was anywhere from 400-600 +util...I can't believe that!!! i'm planning on quitting my job on july 6th so i'll have a whole month off to relax and possibly travel...woo hoo!! i think i'll be heading there about a week before school starts so i can have some time to settle down and get a little familiar with the town. i have it a little easier than some since i only live about an hour and a half away from DM in iowa city. i did already find a nice little coffee shop near the school down 42nd st., so at least i know where i'll be spending most of my weeknights.
i think i'll be heading there again sometime soon to actually VIEW apts so if anyone else is also inclined to do so, let me know when and maybe we can get together in DM for some food and drinks. take care, rene

Jason,

I understand your housing dilemma/compromise. I have 2 big dogs and finding an apt complex for them is pretty much out of the question! The school sent some info on buying in Des Moines, so I'm looking into that. I never would have considered that route had I not seen how low prices are. Apparently there are quite a few students that buy and there are alot of mortgages with no $$ down. The drawback is not having a landlord to call to fix things! I'm planning on heading out to Des Moines later this spring to look around. I'd like to move in June just to make sure everything is all settled by Aug. Let's all keep in touch, as it will be nice to know some people the first day! Take care...

Stef

I will be at UOMHS in the fall also. I'm pretty excited too. I've lived in DSM, IA before and feel its a pretty good place to study. The school usually likes for entering students to live close to campus until they get to know the city somewhat. Try West DSM for housing. It's a pretty good area and is also self contained. Well guys congrats to all and God Bless in the fall.

G

congrats to all DO'03 UOMHS students! I'm class of '02 at DM, and love it. Here's what I know about housing. I live in an apartment complex two blocks from school called Four Seasons II. The main complex (Four Seasons) is about four blocks east of my complex and three or four blocks from school. For the price, they are the nicest apts. in the area.
My complex has only 2 BR apts., but the main complex has more options. I pay $650/mo. (actually, I only pay $325/mo., my roommate pays the rest!). I also rent a garage w/ electric door for $45. The landlord supplies garbage and water, and I pay electricity and gas. I'm not sure what the deal is at the main complex, but I think it's slightly different. My apartment is very well built. It's 2 br/ 1 1/2 bath and furnished. I can play music fairly loud, and have never had any complaints from neighbors.

The nicest place within walking distance of school is called 3000 Grand. It's a tall tower, and has a gym (I'm not sure how nice), pool, driving range (it's kind of a joke), and other items. Studios start at $500 or so. It's EXPENSIVE!

Another place right across the street from school is called Imperial Apts. They cost slightly less than mine, and are closer to the school. Their 2br apts. have only 1 bathroom. I would not live here. The halls stink and are real creaky. The walls and ceilings/floors are thin, and I can hear someone playing acoustic guitar in the apartment above a friend of mine's. The landlord is kind of a pain, according to my friends. I think they pay $500-550 per month, plus one friend rents an underground, heated parking spot for about $50/mo.

Well, I better shut up. This is a long message! If you have questions, e-mail me at [email protected]. good luck!

Hey Mevannorden,

It's great to have an inside scoop on the housing opportunities around the school. What do you know about the Windsor Terrace Apartments? Do you have any suggestions about them?

Also, when does your summer break start? I'd like to make a trip out there sometime in May and secure a place for next year. Your housing situation sounds great, did you send in that application to the roommate search program that the school offers?

Thanks,

Scott

Hello everyone from UOMHS. I just found out today that I have been accepted to UOMHS!!! I was sooo excited. It seems like a great place to attend. The dean even called me personally (as I'm sure he has done for many of you). I thought this was a great personal touch. They also got back to me very quickly. I just interviewed there last week! Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and insight to the interview and to the school. I hope to meet many of you when we start school in the fall. Please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] Thanks.

Scott
Windsor Terrace is OK. They're right across the street from school. They're older than most of the other places around, I think, but still nicer than Imperial. All the apts. in WT that I've been in have had wood floors. The kitchens are kind of small, but I think they all have gas stoves (a plus for me). You can get underground parking for an extra fee/mo., but I'm not sure how much it is, probably around $50. They don't come with a/c, but you can rent a unit on a monthly basis during the summer, or you can have your own unit installed. You're responsible for electricity. That's all I can tell you about Windsor Terrace. If I move after this year, I'll probably move there, but I doubt I'll move.
Summer break starts on June 18 for my class (DO'02). I'm not sure when it starts for second year students.
I did send in the roommate search form, and the service was worthless. All they did for me was give me four names of people I could call. They didn't attempt to match us according to likes/dislikes, nor did they make that information available to me about the names they sent me. I found my roommate by chance. Maybe it will be run better this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have an advertisment about the windsor apts. and they look like the perfect type of apts i'm looking for in DM. you didn't mention the price ranges for a 1BR apt there. do you know?? i tried calling but they suggested i call back closer to when school starts so they will have a better idea of any available apts. if you have any other info., please write, thanks, rene

Renee
I'm guessing 1br apts. at WT are in the $400-$500 range. I'm not positive of that, however I doubt it would be less than $400. I'd ask friends who live there but they're all gone for Spring Break. I'll ask them when they get back and get back to you.

I talked to a friend who rents a 1 br apt. in Windsor Terrace for $400/mo. He pays $35/month for underground parking. It's a pretty nice apt., although the kitchen is pretty small. Also, heat is provided, but there is no individual control of temp., except to open your window! Hope this helps.

If anyone is interested....here's some numbers i found in the DM Register to call for apts. these are all local DM realtors:

Kline Realty
515-251-8438
www.klinerealty.com

HOMEXCHANGE
515-255-1066

Rental Search
515-251-7388

i haven't personally called any of these establishments cuz i have the luxury of getting the classifieds, but for those who live too far away to get the DM paper, i hope this helps. happy hunting, rene

[This message has been edited by RC (edited May 06, 1999).]

Hello everyone. I just got my SAR from the gov. last week. How soon until UOMHS sends me an award notification so I can get the student loans going. Also where did you get the loan apps. From UOMHS? Thanks.

I decided today that I am going to attend UOMHS next year. Ultimately, the friendliness of the people and the numerous options for third and fourth year rotations are what sold me.
I can't wait to embark on my future career and am now in the hunt for apartments. If anyone out there is looking to share an apartment (2 BR OR 3) AT 3000 GRAND then I am interested. I saw the complex at my interview and it is really nice and reasonably priced. I stayed with a student across the street from the school, don't remember the name, but it was directly acrooss from the main academic building; anyway, this apartment was old and the walls were every thin. You could hear everything!
Well it's nice to meet some of my future classmates and I hope to hear from you soon

VM,

I sent my SAR back a while ago. You must request loan applications from the fin. aid office and they will be forwared to you. The actual SAR will be taken electronically by the school so there is no need to send them a copy. I haven't gotten an award letter yet though either. My understanding is that the loans will be sent ahead to the bank but any proceeds recieved will not be processed until late July. I may be wrong.

God Bless,

G

goblue,

I have a two bedroom at 3000 Grand right now, and my current roommate is moving out at the end of the semester. If you are interested, drop me an e-mail at [email protected], and maybe we could work something out.

Which lender should I go through for the student loans? They sent me Norwest (sp?). Is this the best?

goblue

I believe you speak of the Imperial apartments when you speak of the thin walls. I would NEVER live there, and don't even like visiting friends there! You're the first person I've ever heard (or seen, in this case)who thought 3000 Grand was reasonably priced! I guess its all relative, but a friend of mine rents an efficiency (a rather large one, I admit) for over $500/mo. It is a nice place though.

VM-

I sent in the Norwest apps that the school sent to me. I spoke to Erin in the Financial Aid office and she said that they use Norwest alot. I guess you can pick anybody, but since all of this is so confusing, I decided to take their recommendation! I haven't heard anything back since I sent all the apps in. Has anyone gotten anything yet?

Mev-

I'm from the Washington, D.C. area, so $500 for an efficiency is a steal! That seems awful high for Des Moines, though, especially after looking at some apts online.

Stef